What our concertinas look like?

My latest.. picked up in a trade for my Anglo Norman..

48b 50s Wheatstone 3E.it is like new. But, as mentioned in another thread has a serious cigarette smoke smell. It sounds good. It plays well. But it is a TON slower than the 22.

36526757-78D0-4747-9B6A-01550A4A2BA7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thought I'd share my concertinas, nearly 20 years worth of collecting! The Leggett just arrived yesterday.

Left to right, left shelf: Custom AC Norman C/G mini 13 button made in 2009, David Leggett C/G mini 16 button made in 2009, German G/D mini 20 button restored by AC Norman in 2007 or so, German unrestored Eb/Bb 20 button

Left to right, right shelf: Unknown restored Bb/F 26 button from Barleycorn, Edgley C/G 30 button made in 2003, custom Dipper almost-mini C/G 34 button made in 2009.

Feel free to ask questions about them!

concertinas2.png

Edited by Geraghty
Formatting
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 12:05 PM, DavidDavid said:

For some reason it won't let me upload a photo of my concertina. It's a mahogany ended 'The Gremin' English 30 key. Am I correct in thinking that 'The Gremin' was originally made by Stagi? Many thanks. 

Gremlin was a Hobgoblin trademark.  Some of them were made by Stagi/Bastari but not all.  Details at https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/4522-gremlinnorman/&do=findComment&comment=44802

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m not going to post a photo of my one and only concertina. I am a total newbie. I was gifted an older Hohner 20 button ages ago and am just now getting around to trying to learn it. From what I have gleaned from my research, my concertina is probably the worst one out there but it’s what I have for now. Saving my pennies for a better one in the future.

Everybody’s instruments are so beautiful. Mine is gaudy red pearloid. 😛

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I acquired this Wheatstone 40b Anglo and it's finally delivered to me after couple weeks of transportation. As the ledger here says it was finished on Dec 21, 1925. It cost me a fortune but I think it's worth. 

As I knew there are few Wheatstone Englishes holding by Chinese players or collectors, but for the Anglo, mine is very likely the very first one ever appeared here in China. Although it's possible that British people carried some concertinas here due to the concessions like in Shanghai, Tientsin, etc before 1949, the People's Republic formed, but it seems not a single one was left here after they gone. 

1248519582_2022-07-0914_25.thumb.jpg.494c1c87e3c08576284038090cf19667.jpg

Edited by LazyNetter
The pic was upside down for unknown reason.
  • Like 2

I have a fairly serious case of concertina acquisition syndrome, though not as bad as some. I have at last taken a group portrait.

Top row from left to right: Wheatstone C-G made in 1920, the unusual Lachenal that we discussed here*, Rock Chidley made in 1861;

Middle row from left to right: Koot Brits C-G, Wheatstone (Dickinson) G-D made for me in 1984, Wakker G-minor-D-minor, made for me in 2020;

Bottom row from left to right: Dipper Bb-F baritone made for me in 2009, Wheatstone McCann made in 1922, Wheatstone D-A made in 1965:

all resting on a flight case that can take three of them.

I seem to recall that there is somewhere that one can post an inventory of one's concertinas, but I can't find it. Is it here? On concertina.org?

*https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/22962-unusual-or-not/

P2010500.jpg

Edited by Richard Mellish
Added "baritone"
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

New to this forum and thought I'd post my sweet Wheatstone English concertina (serial #23380) which I purchased at an estate sale about 20 years ago. It was in Salvation Army tuning and I tuned it to standard.  It is in wonderful condition and has a lovely sound.  It has raised ebony ends, rounded buttons, 5-fold leather bellows.  Any input on its origins would be welcomed.16626586039923561468317541587081.thumb.jpg.4c94e81ed655868f1e921255e8a6b45c.jpg

On 9/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, David Barnert said:

Are you aware of the scanned Wheatstone ledgers at the Horniman Museum?

Number 21353 is dated Dec 22, 1891.

Number 25000 is dated June 3, 1910.

I don’t see anything calibrating the intervening twenty years, but yours is somewhere between those two dates.

Yes, I've seen the ledgers and am disappointed mine does not appear in any. I saw a list that dated it between 1901 and 1904.  That's the closest I've found.  Thank you for the reply!