What our concertinas look like?

Hi Wolf - nice baritone - I have one very similar to yours - mine is a 56 key.

I'm a big fan of New Model concertinas, and these baritones are great.

Mine also has a rivetted action.

32 minutes ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Wolf , that is  one  number later than  the   New Model  Baritone  I used to own.

That's amazing, Geoff. Did you then replace it with your Baritone Treble? Would you care to rate your former instrument referring to your own playing? Do you know who owns it now?

I really like the sounds mine is making (resp. letting me make)...

All the best - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

Hi  Wolf, 

no I already had the   Baritone Treble.  The  New Model  baritone was  an instrument I  found here in France  a few years ago.  It  needed  a little  maintenance  work  but played  very  well  and the low  notes  had    really  nice tone  and spoke  quickly.  I  should have kept it  but  I sold it to  Nils Meyn in Hambourg, so you  might meet it sometime.

Good luck with yours,

Geoff.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, SteveS said:

Hi Wolf - nice baritone - I have one very similar to yours - mine is a 56 key.

I'm a big fan of New Model concertinas, and these baritones are great.

Mine also has a rivetted action.

Hi Steve, thank you for the encouragement re this instrument. Actually it's my first New Model concertina; I loved my first "real" (disregarding the Hohner/Stagi) concertina, which happened to be an Excelsior, Lachenal's Old (Top) Model if you will. The sound was perfectly balanced for playing melody with harmonies. The action was o.k., the bellows all too worn, and overall a lack of sufficient air supply. Needs some TLC (valves, bellows patches, bushings), but I believe it will keep being too slow for fluently playing honrpipes and stuff, now that I'm spoiled for it (by my Model 24 in particular).

I really like my very plain and simple Lachenal Mahogany 20b Anglo, and I love the sound of the Rosewood G/D. Most of the time in the nearer future I will just switch between the G/D and the New Model Baritone I guess. Return of the Lachenal instruments? in a way. But I can't gauge a top level Lachenal treble, i.e. New Model or Edeo, as I never played one. However, my Aeola TT and Model 24 are both exceptional instruments as for me...

Do you think your 56 baritone is slightly larger? rather not so I guess, and I reckon it has the partly radial, partly parallel reedpan like mine...

All the best - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

15 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Hi  Wolf, 

no I already had the   Baritone Treble.  The  New Model  baritone was  an instrument I  found here in France  a few years ago.  It  needed  a little  maintenance  work  but played  very  well  and the low  notes  had    really  nice tone  and spoke  quickly.  I  should have kept it  but  I sold it to  Nils Meyn in Hambourg, so you  might meet it sometime.

Good luck with yours,

Geoff.

Thank you Geoff - I had a vague notion re Nils' baritone, as he was actually involved in the sale and told me of his alike instrument (which I believe to have met in former years)!

I really love the sound; it's different but not inferior to the one of a baritone Aeola IMO. The only tone not speaking so well are the extra low Fs (which I only had to shift from right to left), maybe I'll have to work a bit on the voicing of these two reeds; and as with any (EC) instrument I'm torn between the F and F# (resp. Bb and B with the TT).

All the best - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, welsh boi said:

Hi I,m not a techy but why can,t I attach photo,s ? is 3.91mb a bit limited? Sorry I,m not usually a complainer, but would like to show my concertina. 

You would have to use software to reduce the resolution or store the pic(s) at a third party‘s webspace and then include a link in your post.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I’m new to Concertina.net, and new to concertinas in general. 8 years ago I attended The university of Western Ontario, where I studied piano technology. I learned to tune and repair pianos. Recently, I saw a concertina at Auction. I thought it might be interesting to take one apart and learn more about them.

The previous owner stated that the concertina was made in Winnipeg, but I learned only the case was built in Winnipeg. The concertina is actually a Lachenal Anglo.

im hoping by following this page I will learn a lot, 

Thanks for allowing me in the group,

0E4A86D1-3908-4709-AB80-376C2819472D.jpeg

2858A052-2D47-45E3-99F0-8D4E37B32792.jpeg

Edited by Ultramadison
Added photos

• 2 months later...

Does anyone check these pages anymore?

Anyway, I have a new babe since April 2019. A C/G anglo built in Dublin 2018. Very nice, both sound and looks, and finally I have a decent box that doesn't work against me when I play it.

concertina-2.jpg

concertina.jpg

On 5/22/2019 at 8:38 AM, Wolf Molkentin said:

Do you think your 56 baritone is slightly larger? rather not so I guess, and I reckon it has the partly radial, partly parallel reedpan like mine...

Hi Wolf

Here's a picture of my 56-key New Model baritone

2346_400.jpg.3531cd5104e2d1b0f007f4eb2039bc75.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here are some of the loveliest concertinas I have,  all regularly played and in fine voice. If you're interested in knowing anything about any of them, please do feel free to get in touch.  Seasons greetings to you all,   Mike.

DSC_1046.JPG

DSC_1045.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2019 at 4:35 PM, Mike Acott said:

Here are some of the loveliest concertinas I have,  all regularly played and in fine voice. If you're interested in knowing anything about any of them, please do feel free to get in touch.  Seasons greetings to you all,   Mike.

DSC_1046.JPG

Hi Mike,  the one on the right looks familiar to me, though (if it is the same one - and it's probably unique!) I haven't seen it in almost 50 years.

Do you know who it was made for, or should I tell you about it?

Hello Stephen, Some information would be welcome,I bought this off e bay about 8 years ago. I was the only bidder only to find out it is pltched in Eb and is the as far as I know the only one ever made. I normally take it when I go to a song session where I know am bothered by some ordinary melodian  players who try to dominate proceedings.

Regards.

Mike

You can mail me at mikeacott1944@gmail.com

• Like 1

Hello Stephen, The serial number is 32325  , I must say it does have an unusual sound, its almost the same as a single action baritone that came from the vicarage at Great Snoring in Norfolk. I believe that is now with Clare Wren down in the West country and is used in the band she has .

Regards.

Mike