johnconstable

Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

Sorry for delay, but have been rather busy lately. I stripped the end where the rattle was, and found this rogue reed just floating about. Mystery as all 20 buttons are working normally, and the spare reed shows no sign of having been fixed anywhere. The underside is flush, with no signs of any glue, so how it would have been fastened down I do not know. The reed is made of steel and its mount is brass. It measures 4cm long and is .9 cm at its widest point. There is a 21st button on one end, and when pressed just lets air into the bellows (or releases ) air from it. This button is at the opposite side to where I found the loose reed.

Thanks Dowright for the date, it was either bought second hand or by my grandparents!

Eddystone

Paul,

No 3281 circa 1894 (No 32620 has 1894 bill of sale; No 32621 has March 1895 bill of sale)

54 minutes ago, Dowright said:

Paul,

No 3281 circa 1894 (No 32620 has 1894 bill of sale; No 32621 has March 1895 bill of sale)

Dowright,

I think one digit got dropped (in 3281) and one mistyped  (in 32621) in your response there. Did you mean to say:

>> No 32801 circa 1894 (No 32620 has 1894 bill of sale; No 32821 has March 1895 bill of sale)

or was it 32921?

Yes, I obviously was in too much of a hurry.

It is No. 32801 circa 1894.

And No 32621--not 32821 or 32921.  No 32621 is a 56 key Excelsior with glass buttons. . No 32620 is a  48 key Excelsior.

Dowright, would a Lachenal Anglo No. 172103 date of 1891 approximately? 

Hi, 

I've just purchased  a Lachenal anglo from Chris Algar so you probably have the details of this already.

30 bone keys, metal ends, 6 fold bellows, steel reeds, number 149617. I've had a look inside as the typed number was incomplete. The only date I've found is 23/4/15 but as this is placed next to a modern sticker for Vintage Strings and Accordions in Cheltenham I think this marks a restoration date. To my untrained eye the only modern parts are the wrist straps and the pallets(?). From what I read above this would date to c1897?

Regards,

Paul Draper

London, UK

Hi!

One more addition to the growing list 😁 Lachenal & co. 32-button Anglo (Rose?), serial num. 164988 (or the last digit could be 3). Bought it from a person who bought it from Chris Algar back in 1995.

Anglo32b-Lachenal.jpg