How did you, discover this Concertina.net?

I was thinking other day, when I first dared to venture on this little forum, there's so many others I could have easily found my way onto, in the huge ocean of the 'internet'.. but I cannot say I know how I found my place here; No one told me about it, and I had never heard of a special net. for different instruments.  I may have typed in concertina and then the computer thingy indexed it [ perhaps?].. It certainly has been a positive experience for me, joining the group here, as most people seem little interested in creative pursuits generally, or have little understanding of the free reed instruments.

Then I wonder [ if I may also ask] how did you find your way here? Was it by chance, or recommendation? It would be interesting to share that discovery story.

One thing for certain, at least for me, I have found it all very fascinating and rewarding to be here. How about you?

A simple search on DuckDuckGo. If something interests me, I will search for "interest" forums. I have found several sites that way, but, by far CNet is the busiest (after ModernVespa.com).

3 minutes ago, Takayuki YAGI said:

I believe that the old (pre-2003) concertina.net was easily found by searching the Internet at that time.

That's how I found it in 1996, not long after Paul started it.

Ken

Before I learned about concertina.net I was a member of the USENET newsgroup, rec.music.makers.squeezebox (anybody else here remember that one?), which I learned about from folks at the NorthEast Squeeze-In (NESI) in the mid 1990s. In April 2002, I attended the concert “The Incredible Concertina” that Allan Atlas and the City University of New York presented, and there were several receptions both before and after it that weekend. At one of those, someone told me about concertina.net and I joined as soon as I got home (back then, we didn’t carry our internet access around  with us in our pockets). The site was arranged very differently then, a big white page with blue links to posts arranged by thread in outline form.

Edited by David Barnert
Changed “City College of New York” to “City University of New York.”

Like David: participated in the rec.music.makers.squeezebox Usenet group and somehow transitioned to concertina.net when it was created, probably because it was being discussed at the Northeast Squeeze In.

Kudos to Paul and Ken for keeping it going all these years; on the internet, where everything is ephemeral, cnet's longevity must be some kind of record.

I wanted to play Anglo (just 20b, so you may call it German), and bought a  horrible (Hohner-branded) Stagi through eBay. Since this didn’t work for me, I did a lot of research, and I guess that‘s how I found this forum.

Funny enough, I became a dedicated player of the English system then, and it was only many years later that I took up the Anglo once again (and a few more years for me to finally find the 20b instrument that I had wanted all the time).

And in between thousands of posts from my side… 😁

• Like 1

When I was first looking into concertinas, I did some Google searches around the differences between the various types, and what sort of music they were each good for. Got a lot of results from this forum.

A boring story of a google search for me, when I tried to figure out notes arrangement on my cheapest ebay DDR 20b Anglo. That was 2009. But it was only years later that I actively joined this site. It is typical for me to first lurk forums for a year or two before wanting to post anything and having to create an account.

• 6 months later...

I'd purchased a terrible concertina on Ebay, and then a better (but not quite it), entry level concertina ($450ish)...then took the deep dive to find everything I could on choosing a concertina. So...Google. I don't think it was indexed particularly high.

• Like 1

I was here way back around 2001 or 2, I think, when I had just bought a concertina.  I can't remember if I found the site by searching or if someone at The Button Box told me about it.  I participated more back then, haven't visited as much in recent years, but lately I've enjoyed popping in. 

• Like 1

After retiring from the railroad I took a local seasonal job at a fish Hatchery.  After hauling 20' seine nets through the ponds all day,  I happened to open up the closet for some dry clothes and there were those two boxes I'd tucked away years ago.  "concertinas!" crashed into "nets@&)%" in my brain.  Voila.  This anecdote is "very nearly" true....😊

• Like 1

Step 1: Enjoy the local Dublin (Ohio) Irish music festival

Step 2: Contemplate joining local Irish traditional music sessions

Step 3: Local ITM folks point me at Thesession.org forum

Step 4: TheSession.org post about concertina points me at this forum

• Like 1