Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

Could you please help date my 32 key, metal-ended, metal button Anglo? The serial is 176651.

There is written in pencil on both ends - S.A. , 2674 , G.T. , 27-8-47. I presume this points to previous Salvation Army ownership.  And instrument has subsequently been retuned to G/D at some point.

Thank you

Hi Andy,

We would estimate anglo 176651 as circa 1905.

I'd be interested to know if the 'Lachenal' label hole in your metal end is circular or oval, as it seems to have a Salvation Army pedigree. We've seen that wooden ended SA instruments of a similar age had a circular hole and different Lachenal label (see here) so it would be helpful to know if yours was the same.

Thanks Wes

The label hole is oval and was lacking a label when I bought it in the 80s.

I can upload pics of the ends and the internal pencil marks if they would be useful.

• Thanks 1

Please, I'd be grateful if someone more knowledgable can offer an opinion on the date of a Lachenal treble EC, serial number 53886? It has raised wooden ends and steel reeds; photo's of the ends attached. Many thanks.

IMG-20240206-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20240206-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240206-WA0003.jpg

Edited by John Adey

When I bought my concertina it was listed as serial number 8282 but I can't find that number anywhere. It's an Angelo 30 button Bb/F that looks like it was rosewood that's been stained or painted black.

Pic of the only numbers I could find below.

20240213_200941.jpg