Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

• 4 weeks later...

Ah-ha! You didn't say it was a duet, so I assumed yet another English. 836 is likely to be a Crane Duet from c.1910. So I checked and  its already on the database as a 71 key (1 air button not counted?), with inset metal ends, bone buttons, steel reeds, and 7 fold bellows with elongated sides. It has appeared twice on ebay over the past 25 years, and was also reported by a secondary source - you?   To try to take this a bit further the Crane patent expired in 1910 which is why it's marked as a Lachenal rather than a Crane.

On 11/8/2023 at 11:37 AM, Mike Acott said:

,,, the ends are covered with mother of pearl inlays ,,,

Mother of pearl inlays sound highly unusual for a Lachenal Mike, they normally used engraved nickel-silver ones - even on the most intricately inlaid instruments like my #15347:

Chambers-Michaelstein-018-W400H300.jpg

I'd be fascinated to see a photo of it.

Hello Stephen, The inlays are definitely mother of pearl, the end boxes are not split in half like a normal  Lachenal but more like some cheaper continental made instruments. This means that air losses are much more likely to happen, I have improved this aspect of it but it will never compete against a later built box. One good thing is the inlays on the sides are much larger than your box. I will see if I can get a couple of photos off to you

Mike.