Jump to content
MaryHumphreys

Keeping instrument dry in rain

Recommended Posts

I play for ritual dance. Has anybody perfected a cover for an English concertina which will keep it from being ruined when playing in the rain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And assuming that it is possible to completely prevent even one drop of rain or condensation from contacting the concertina, what are the consequences of playing in 100% humidity? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on Cnet posted a video of concertina marching bands (maybe someone here can point you to the right thread) and they were playing their instrument in plastic bags.

 

I don't know how well it works but the idea is appealing.

 

Aldon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Most musical instruments  are not designed  for playing  in the rain.  Simplest  solution is to change key,  Bb or Eb,   and play the trumpet  or  trombone.  Advantages , such as  far more volume  and very waterproof  should not be overlooked  as  well as the  huge  repertoire  of  sheet music   arrangements available  from  sources  like the Salvation Army   in plastified,  all weather  versions too.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Geoff Wooff
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Most musical instruments  are not designed  for playing  in the rain.  Simplest  solution is to change key,  Bb or Eb,   and play the trumpet  or  trombone.  Advantages , such as  far more volume  and very waterproof  should not be overlooked  as  well as the  huge  repertoire  of  sheet music   arrangements available  from  sources  like the Salvation Army   in plastified,  all weather  versions too.

 

 

 

 

 

I agree on changing Instruments.  Unless "ritual dancing" specifically requires concertina accompaniment, I'd go with something like a kalimba, perhaps with a metallic or plastic sound box.  My wife participates in "ecstatic dance" which is concertina specific.  It requires me not playing one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are others in the band who play in G or D. I don’t think learning to play the trombone would be welcomed by them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Aldon Sanders said:

Someone on Cnet posted a video of concertina marching bands (maybe someone here can point you to the right thread) and they were playing their instrument in plastic bags.

 

I don't know how well it works but the idea is appealing.

 

Aldon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a large plastic poncho where your arms are inside the poncho.  There are bike capes but if they are not big enough then maybe you could try the ponchos that are sold for riders of mobility scooters.  There seems to be quite a selection on Amazon.co.uk.

 

Anyyway, there can't be two Mary Humphreys in West Yorkshire who both play the concertina can there?

 

This is completely off topic, but I sure hope that you do not switch to trombone or trumpet and that you continue to make wonderful, inspiring music on the concertina and banjo. 

 

Fortunately, the banjo does not figure too much in English ritual dance otherwise you would have an even bigger problem keeping it dry.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MaryHumphreys said:

There are others in the band who play in G or D. I don’t think learning to play the trombone would be welcomed by them!

 

It is  not  impossible to play the  trombone  in D or G  and  people have used    such instruments  in English Country  Dance bands... but  the  question  that begs  is  'how do the other people in your band  keep their instruments dry ?'    What do  Morris dance  musicians  use to protect  their  instruments ?  Perhaps they  wait for better weather... in a convenient  Pub.

 

The idea of playing  a concertina  in a plastic bag, or under  a  water proof poncho    brings  to mind the possibility  of  condensation...  any squeezebox  will  process  quite  a lot of air  during use.  Perhaps    it would be just as  effective to  employ an  umbrella  holding  person  and avoid  windy situations?

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Morris side I dance /play for use

1. umbrellas provided the wind is not too strong and we have plenty of volunteers to hold them. ( the fiddlers and melodeonistas are especially anxious that their instruments remain dry too)

or

2. plastic ponchos, available cheaply from loads of places such as P**ndl*nd (supply your own vowels) or even hotel concierges at times, these tend to be disposable so if you are anxious about plastic pollution possibly not the best solution, but reusable ones are also available for G* **td**rs and others, they pack small and I keep two in my concertina bag.

 

The Bootle Concertina Band on YouTube are using bags for their concertinas in the linked video. I've not come across anything available commercially so perhaps they commissioned some

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a clearer view of the same band. 

These bags don't look that sophisticated. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

How about a large plastic poncho where your arms are inside the poncho...

...as used by our fashion-conscious lead melodeon player...

 

They are large and loose enough to enable the instrument to be played inside the poncho, and

are transparent so that our wonderful musicians uniform is on full display. I think they also come

in a 'disposable' form in packs of 3 (4?)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

...as used by our fashion-conscious lead melodeon player...

 

well, would he need one, as lead might not be subject to corrosion?

 

SCNR 😎

 

(figuring a very heavy sound to myself, like Le[a]d Zeppelin's, just folk or Morris)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a beach umbrella that I use for playing for Morris dancing in the rain. I call it my “music shed.” Not all beach umbrellas will work. The shaft is about an inch in diameter. It has a dull point at the bottom, which I put into my pants pocket after first passing it under my belt. Then I also hold it firmly between my chest and my upper arm (either side) to hold it steady. Three or four musicians can fit under it. In the past I’ve gotten them at BJ’s and Target. I needed a new one this year and could only find one small enough at Walmart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 10:43 PM, David Barnert said:

I have a beach umbrella that I use for playing for Morris dancing in the rain. I call it my “music shed.” Not all beach umbrellas will work. The shaft is about an inch in diameter. It has a dull point at the bottom, which I put into my pants pocket after first passing it under my belt. Then I also hold it firmly between my chest and my upper arm (either side) to hold it steady. Three or four musicians can fit under it. In the past I’ve gotten them at BJ’s and Target. I needed a new one this year and could only find one small enough at Walmart.

 

I found a picture of me using it:

 

shed.jpg.6702ecb9a2573cdef546d5cf27a41317.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anne and I use those cheap cycle cape style coveralls that you tend to get at Blackpool and other seaside resorts.

 I call the look of them "boil in the bag Morris musician".

 

Robin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×