Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on the twins, Wes!

I have a 30 button anglo Lachenal & Co with rosewood ends, serial number 160867. Judging from another post with a similar serial number, I'm guessing this was made around 1898. I'm wondering if anyone knows what species of rosewood Lachenal was using at that time? I was hoping to bring my concertina on an upcoming trip to Ireland and then back to the US, and I'm trying to determine how feasible that might be re. CITES, based on whether or not this is Brazilian rosewood. (I've read up on USFWS permits for bringing it back into the US.) Thanks in advance for any information available!

Edited by Sionainn

6 hours ago, Sionainn said:

Congratulations on the twins, Wes!

I have a 30 button anglo Lachenal & Co with rosewood ends, serial number 160867. Judging from another post with a similar serial number, I'm guessing this was made around 1898. I'm wondering if anyone knows what species of rosewood Lachenal was using at that time? I was hoping to bring my concertina on an upcoming trip to Ireland and then back to the US, and I'm trying to determine how feasible that might be re. CITES, based on whether or not this is Brazilian rosewood. (I've read up on USFWS permits for bringing it back into the US.) Thanks in advance for any information available!

Thanks Sionainn - The twins are doing well, and although almost identical, one has a tiny mole by his right eye, so we know which is which.

Circa 1898 would be our estimate for #160867.

For questions on CITES it would probably be better to start a new thread, or ask on an existing CITES one, as your question will become buried in this thread.

48 minutes ago, Bassconcertina.net said:

I have just acquired Lachenal 23758 which is a 29 key English G-bass. It used to belong to Mike Harding. How old might it be?

oops, never mind, I was told it was a Lachenal but it's actually a Wheatstone. I didn't see the makers label on the Right-hand side. still does anyone know how old it is?

There are missing Wheatstone ledgers between December 1891 (to 21353) and May 1910 (from 25000) so you could do a rough calculation, but the owner of Wheatstone (Edward Chidley Snr) died in 1899 and the business passed to his sons (Edward Jnr and Percy) who made major changes to the manufacture, and the firm also moved to West Street in 1905, which would both upset a simple calculation.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wes williams said:

There are missing Wheatstone ledgers between December 1891 (to 21353) and May 1910 (from 25000) so you could do a rough calculation, but the owner of Wheatstone (Edward Chidley Snr) died in 1899 and the business passed to his sons (Edward Jnr and Percy) who made major changes to the manufacture, and the firm also moved to West Street in 1905, which would both upset a simple calculation.

Its says on the label:

"15 West St Charing X Rd" 

so probably around 1906.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:41 PM, wes williams said:

Thanks Dave,

I may be a little tardy in replies for a while, as identical twin grandsons arrived last week 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨 and we are helping out with their older sister and brother.

Congratulations to all!, Wes, a pair of miniatures - no doubt with good bellows!

Hi, I would love some help dating mine, I have a beautiful Anglo concertina. The label says "Lachanel and Co , patent concertina, patent manufacturer London" and the serial number is 174964. Hubby and I previously dated it to 1927, but that was I long time ago and I can't remember the source we use. All help apprecaited :)

8 hours ago, Morgana said:

Hi, I would love some help dating mine, I have a beautiful Anglo concertina. The label says "Lachanel and Co , patent concertina, patent manufacturer London" and the serial number is 174964. Hubby and I previously dated it to 1927, but that was I long time ago and I can't remember the source we use. All help apprecaited :)

Data would show that this is circa 1903