Strange One on Ebay - Caution

Paul Read

...purchased from a Canadian Ebay member, un_owen1....

...our own Paul Read, I believe...

...No anti-shock/bubblewrap packing inside or outside case. Shaken up. Needs work.

...and I don't believe for a second that Paul, an experienced seller and repairer of instruments, would ship one without packing material. What's this guy trying to pull?

Joshua Mackay-Smith

And if it needed work - Who did the work? What was the extent of the work that needed to be done? When was it done? Or is he trying to sell the instrument without the work being done, and not letting on that it still needs work on it.

Edited by SteveS

The sheer rudeness of the current e-bay seller in his response to perfectly legitimate questions is almost unbelievable.

mad.gif

He must have something to hide. I wouldn't deal with him, full stop.

I agree, his rudeness is staggering.

The sheer rudeness of the current e-bay seller in his response to perfectly legitimate questions is almost unbelievable.

He must have something to hide. I wouldn't deal with him, full stop.

I agree, his rudeness is staggering.

I agree too. Here are the questions & responses that he posted:

Q:
Hi, could you please tell me if your concertina has a riveted or a "hook" type of action, also if the reeds are in brass or aluminium frames. These are significant issues that affect (1) the playability and (2) the tone of an instrument.

08-Feb-11
A:
Hello "triskel2002", A technician it seems! As I've said, it is a quality 'tina with a honky tone and easy to handle. A bona fides technician of average intelligence should be able to answer the questions you raise without taking the instrument apart. Genuine 'tina players/listeners prefer to use their ears rather than their eyes.

Q:
Could you tell me what year this concertina was made? Also, I totally understand not giving the serial number out, but say the number was 43,567 couldn't you just tell us it was in the region of 43,000? Then we would be able to check it out roughly in the ledgers.

06-Feb-11
A:
Hello "iwannabuystuff76", It sounds as though you don't wannabuystuff! More interested in ledgers it seems, which is of no relevance to genuine Ebay traders, and of no relevance to the quality of the concertina. Taking up knitting, or taking a hike could be useful.

I don't think that I've ever seen anything quite this nasty posted on an eBay listing before. I can't see how anyone could read this and still decide to take a chance on dealing with this guy...

I find it particularly telling that he apparently considers "genuine eBay traders" to be a class of people, and don't doubt that he considers himself the prime example of this class. I'm glad I'm not a genuine eBay trader-- aren't you?

Ходит дурачок по лесу // Ищет дурачок глупее себя...

...purchased from a Canadian Ebay member, un_owen1....

...our own Paul Read, I believe...

...No anti-shock/bubblewrap packing inside or outside case. Shaken up. Needs work.

...and I don't believe for a second that Paul, an experienced seller and repairer of instruments, would ship one without packing material. What's this guy trying to pull?

I wondered if the former seller might have been Paul, too. But then I thought, if that was the case, surely he would have recognised his own instrument is up for sale again, as he has commented earlier in this thread about this instrument. I note that the current seller omits, even, to mention how many buttons the instrument has, something very basic. And, also, if he only paid $3,500 US dollars for the instrument in the first place, and is now asking £5,000, that's quite a huge price increase; the sort of money someone selling a Jeffries Anglo or Wheatstone Linota in good condition, might reasonable ask.

Chris

Paul's Ebay moniker is different and somewhat "sweet..."

I sold the 40 button anglo in question to a certain G.D. of Dublin. The instrument was double packed by a mailing store/company. No anti-shock wrap was placed inside the concertina box itself due to the lack of space (small case). GPanda left no communication other than a negative feedback on a erstwhile perfect record. Despite minor shaking in transit it did not deserve a negative feedback. The only shaking that is going to take place is in someone's pockets.

That particular concertina's serial number is close proximity to my own Wheatstone's. I believe that Gpanda's 40 button concertina is in the #589XXX range....somewhere in early 1960's. The concertina was described by Willie Van Wyk of South Africa as being "in factory mint condition". Gpanda has a lot of confidence in this concertina...GBP 5000.00! If someone wants to buy a similar concertina from me then let me know. I will sell it for far less.

I have to wait a year before my ebay record can be restored to a perfect score.

I should have taken Paul Read's sagely advice.

I asked him how he could be such a moron. I wonder if my question will appear in Q/A...

Careful, now. If you rub him up the wrong way too much, he may try to get you banned from Ebay. :ph34r:

Chris

Much better not to sink to his level. Ebay has a procedure where this kind of poor behaviour can be reported.

The only shaking that is going to take place is in someone's pockets.

... Gpanda has a lot of confidence in this concertina...GBP 5000.00! If someone wants to buy a similar concertina from me then let me know. I will sell it for far less.

In fact, I'd say you'd likely sell them TWO for a good bit less than he's asking for his... :blink:

His price is totally outrageous, never mind his contempt for potential buyers! :angry:

Paul's Ebay moniker is different and somewhat "sweet..."

I sold the 40 button anglo in question to a certain G.D. of Dublin....

Of course--I should have remembered which name went where--and I can say from personal experience that you pack instruments (well, have them packed) very well indeed. "What's this guy trying to pull?" still applies.

Joshua

I asked him how he could be such a moron. I wonder if my question will appear in Q/A...

Careful, now. If you rub him up the wrong way too much, he may try to get you banned from Ebay. :ph34r:

Chris

Much better not to sink to his level. Ebay has a procedure where this kind of poor behaviour can be reported.

Life would be so boring if I had to be politically correct all the time! Meanwhile, he 'answered' my message:

Dear william0275,

This message from you is being referred to Ebay. Any further

messages from you will be deleted unopened.

- gpanda123

I guess he did not like my honnest question!

I have been watching this thread for the last several days and am rather astounded at the gall of some people, but, they are out there, everywhere, in all fields....thank God there aren't more of them here! I was wondering though, it occurred to me that the ebay monniker of GPanda seemed rather out of place, and somewhat inapropriate for someone so seemingly conniving and un-scrupulous, so I have come to the conclusion that GPanda must obviously stand for "GRIZZLY PANDA" !!!.....or, not! (I think so, though)

Don