Seeking recommendations for a backpack for the concertina

Hello. Newbie player but enjoying the heck out of it so far. I saw a piece of advice somewhere along the line that it's a good idea to put your concertina case inside a backpack or something, so it looks less intriguing to steal.

I had a backpack that did fit it (just barely), but then a strap broke on it. I'm doing some shopping and it's not clear what might fit the square box. As long as I'm buying a new backpack, I wouldn't mind one I could also use with my computer. In fact, the backpack that broke fit a computer and the concertina and a couple of books, for a flight I took recently.

Anyone have a backpack they currently use for the purpose they can recommend?

Thanks,

Rick

Backpacks designed for camera equipment work well. They are rigid and have reconfigurable dividers and padding, which, with some care, can allow you to ditch the hard case entirely.

I use a Lowepro Flipside 200 backpack (the predecessor of this one), and it will fit a concertina sans case and a few other small items. For longer trips, or ones where I'm carrying a concertina and a small melodeon, I use this one, which also has a dedicated laptop sleeve.

Of course, my goal has always been ease of carrying. If your goal is stealth, your mileage may vary. Nothing says "expensive stuff!!!" like a nice camera backpack.

• Like 1

Belly pack.  See it, access it, protect it, ect..  Learned this from back country skiing.  If you fall or are attacked your body will fold frontly ( fetal ).  Keep your junk in in your back pack, your essentials tight to your center of balance.

Good platform for an impromptu twiddle.

Edited by wunks
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Luke Hillman said:

Backpacks designed for camera equipment work well. They are rigid and have reconfigurable dividers and padding, which, with some care, can allow you to ditch the hard case entirely.

I use a Lowepro Flipside 200 backpack (the predecessor of this one), and it will fit a concertina sans case and a few other small items. For longer trips, or ones where I'm carrying a concertina and a small melodeon, I use this one, which also has a dedicated laptop sleeve.

Of course, my goal has always been ease of carrying. If your goal is stealth, your mileage may vary. Nothing says "expensive stuff!!!" like a nice camera backpack.

People will steal anything. 

The nicer looking the case is, the more attractive it is to them. Even disguising it

as a soft lunch box might not deter them. Known types of cases laptops, cameras, etc. or marked/ logos can be targets themselves (Gucci/ pelican/ LV)..

the best thing is to get the case you will use (size/weight) with the most protection and just keep it with you always.

• Like 1

I carry my concertina case inside a plastic shopping bag, which I hope makes it look like supermarket shopping & of limited interest to thieves. Admittedly, it’s an extreme approach, but I do live in London.

4 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

Maybe not this?

image.png.bd5d4697931e52973685330c048a5887.png

OMG!! I'd SO steal that and make it into a concertina case! Biohazard would be just as cool..

Er...hmm... I mean.. Ya. Nobody would ever steal THAT!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:57 PM, Rick Bruner said:

I saw a piece of advice somewhere along the line that it's a good idea to put your concertina case inside a backpack or something, so it looks less intriguing to steal.

A caution with back packs:  If you are unfortunate enough to fall backwards, your weight and your back will land on whatever is in it.  A hard box -- of which a concertina is a variant -- can cause damage.  It happened to a friend of mine, and both his concertina and his back were damaged.

I always carry my concertina by hand, sometimes in a bag that is larger and contains other things but will still fit under the seat in front of me on a plane.  I never leave it lying around out of my sight, e.g., in a car or a tent.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:57 PM, Rick Bruner said:

I saw a piece of advice somewhere along the line that it's a good idea to put your concertina case inside a backpack or something, so it looks less intriguing to steal.

Perhaps you're thinking of the classsical-music joke:

How do you protect a valuable violin from theft?

Carry it in a viola case!

😉

Cheers,

John

17 hours ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

Perhaps you're thinking of the classsical-music joke:

How do you protect a valuable violin from theft?

Carry it in a viola case!

😉

Cheers,

John

😅

Too bad none of my ukulele cases is big enough! Then it would be safe!

Edited by Rick Bruner

When I was a teenager in the 1970s I spent two summers at a music camp in Berkshire County, Massachusetts studying cello. For those unfamiliar with the Berkshire Hills, a prominent attraction is Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. On Saturdays I would hitchhike to Great Barrington to do laundry. I found I could get rides more readily if I carried my laundry bag in my cello case.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks Luke, Eddy (& Jody) for the recommendation

Picked up a  Lowepro Flipside 300 used but like new for half the price of a new one

Very pleased with it 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...