Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

51 minutes ago, Mike Acott said:

... the end boxes are not split in half like a normal  Lachenal but more like some cheaper continental made instruments. ... I will see if I can get a couple of photos off to you

Thanks Mike, I've only ever seen that continental style of construction on early examples of the mahogany-ended Lachenal People's Concertina, and on (the very closely numbered) #9952 that had what appeared to be "Killarney Ware" inlaid marquetry ends.

I am looking at a Lachenal English baritone, 44 keys, slightly raised key areas, number 55209 on metal escutcheon, that has been through Chris Algar's hands so it may already be in your records. I would be interested in knowing its date. Thanks for your sterling work!

Edited by iconstab
missed word

iconstab,

Raised ends = 'a new model' design, 44 keys would indicate that the lower octave or so of reeds are not radially mounted but are parallel, and of a much larger design than the rest of the range, I always think of these as being a 'band design' giving more volume and punch than a 48k fully radial design. The top end of the 48k range being sacrificed to create sufficient space. 

55209 serial would be around 1912/ perhaps early 1913.  (based upon research by others) 

43 minutes ago, d.elliott said:

iconstab,

Raised ends = 'a new model' design, 44 keys would indicate that the lower octave or so of reeds are not radially mounted but are parallel, and of a much larger design than the rest of the range, I always think of these as being a 'band design' giving more volume and punch than a 48k fully radial design. The top end of the 48k range being sacrificed to create sufficient space. 

55209 serial would be around 1912/ perhaps early 1913.  (based upon research by others) 

Thanks for this. Yes, it's a great box - the sound is not only rich but loud, but still plays reasonably fast. I won't miss the upper notes - I never stray that far on the treble either (bat territory).

On 11/22/2023 at 3:10 PM, d.elliott said:

I'd very much think of them as being intended to be "band instruments" too Dave, and a strong influence on Colin Dipper's bass/baritone Anglos - like the ones Cormac Begley has.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Hi there,

I have an anglo Lachenal 20 button concertina. I don't see a serial number on the outside but a piece of paper that came with it says #165210. I am told it plays beautifully and is in good condition. I am wondering about it's approximate age and resale value. Thank you for your time.

Hello team and thanks for such a great website. I am hoping you can date my 20 button Anglo which I inherited indirectly from my great uncle. I am guessing it was bought in or near Bradford.

It looks very similar to the images I found online of Paul Hardy A#2 instrument number 167221 which he dates to 1899.

The only difference I can see is in the fretwork, which appears a little more elaborate on my instrument.

Details are 20 button in bone, 5 fold bellows, steel reeds, wood ends. The number is 166871

It was restored about 20 years ago by Pierre Hooft in Adelaide, South Australia. He did a lovely job. RIP.

Thanks for your thoughts.

concertina left.jpeg

concertina open.jpeg

concertina right.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again !

A few months ago I asked for help in dating my Lachenal Bb/F which is apparently made with parts of at least 3 instruments. 

Remember ? it was here : 

While reopening it for a little fix, I saw a serial number which I did not see at first inspection, on the LHS reed pan.

I guess I read "158 484" or possibly "258 484".

What does that imply ? 

In last june Stephen's verdict was 1877 for the frames and the ends, and likely later for reed pans. Does that confirm ?

Thanks !

C218A1F1-9963-447A-B416-811EB8E7AD8A_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.2dcfb43fd198376cc1ff2d9e0a0268e3.jpeg6DD2D71E-B701-48CA-886C-1886B6EED287_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.10ecfed5560f2ceda5bf343a0b3669bc.jpeg

4 hours ago, david fabre said:

While reopening it for a little fix, I saw a serial number which I did not see at first inspection, on the LHS reed pan.

I guess I read "158 484" or possibly "258 484".

What does that imply ? 

In last june Stephen's verdict was 1877 for the frames and the ends, and likely later for reed pans. Does that confirm ?

Thanks !

It would seem to confirm that, yes David. According to the data number 158484 would date to 1898, so 21 years later than the bellows frames (and probably the ends). Whilst 258484 would be too high a number to be plausible, by a margin of around 57,000.

• 4 weeks later...

We can only estimate the dates of Lachenal concertinas since there are no records. The number you provide indicates that your instrument is an anglo system concertina made circa 1883, but in quite a few cases a preceding '1' is almost hidden behind the fretwork. Please check this carefully and also tell us how many buttons it has. A few more details or photos would helpful.