Pad Construction

In the old Lachenals, the pads are fixed to the arms by what looks like a drop of sealing wax. What was actually used?

Where did you get your wide bore punch?

Thanks!

Hi, Stephen. I bought the punches from KC Tool. They are reasonably priced. I used Weldbond Universal Glue for attaching the pads. It seems to have a built-in stress factor. In other words, it remains flexible after it dries. I don't know what was used originally but it appears to be hot hide glue.

Thanks!

If they were using just glue, and you are getting good results from the Weldbond, would that suggest that we could dispense with sampers and just use a good glob of glue?

I use the Weldbond rather sparingly. I can't say for certain, but the samper may offer some sound insulating quality to the pad landing on the valve board. The bead that is threaded on to the end of the lever may need something soft to interface with. I have seen pads without sampers and levers without beads, but I bow to tradition.

Thanks for your advice. I have sourced punches here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141857410997?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=440986049665&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm going to try putting on pads without sampers, using the drop of hide glue, and see how it goes. I'll do some with hide glue and some with something like Weldbond. I have some low-end old Lachenals I can experiment with. Whatever I do, it would be reversible.

Whoever came up with the word 'samper' anyway? It's not in the dictionary.

Jim Lucas. Seems the answer is 'nobody knows'.

Everybody: has anyone got a source of leather punches for making valves in different sizes? I managed to get some nice thin leather scrap. It's black; but I see that Wheatstone was using black leather for valves in the 1950s.

Stephen............the trouble I had with the type punches you sourced on eBay is the quality.

I found they dulled fairly quickly and left a tear-out of leather.......so you buy another inexpensive set which in turn dulls.

And eventually you have a draw full of sharp, new but unwanted other sizes.

If you could locate the type Michael uses, eventually you'd be ahead. They appear better quality.

BTW.........do you need any odd sizes of punchs ?

I got lots !

Le Prevo, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

have these at £39 a set

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/wad-punch-metric.html

This, of course, will give you a number of punches you may never use!!

However any supplier of workshop tools should be able to supply what are generally called WAD PUNCHES.

Used for punching holes in gaskets etc.

Just remember to punch through onto a wooden backing to preserve the sharpness of the tool.

Just stick it into google and see what you get.

In the UK a single 12mm punch retails for about £6

Jake

What I'm actually interested in is punches that would allow me to make valves.

I'm no expert on such things, but I would think the slightly tapered shape of valves for vintage concertinas is not a standard item, and would have to be custom made.

Stephen............the trouble I had with the type punches you sourced on eBay is the quality.

I found they dulled fairly quickly and left a tear-out of leather.......so you buy another inexpensive set which in turn dulls.

Punches can dull quickly dependig on how they are used.

Use a block of wood as a base on which to punch.

Punch on the end grain, not against the grain - that way the punch will follow the wood fibres not work against them.

It is this working against the wood fibres that can dull a punch early.

U H M W P E That's Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene is the best material for chopping boards, but failing that good old Co-Polymer Poly Prop is almost as good. A pad of an old magazine is also pretty effective and FREE. Wad Punches are very easy to re-sharpen and if you de-burr the inside they work much better as the pads will eject