Morris dancing article

The NYT often has a frankly bizarre view of life in the UK, but this is a surprisingly good article.  However as on old, white former dancer I was frankly appalled by the quote from Katy Spicer, chief executive of the EFDSS, that “Morris dancing is still synonymous with slightly racist, old white men flicking handkerchiefs”. I said as much on the EFDSS Facebook page where they had posted the article, but unsurprisingly they have not responded.

The drawback with the new popularity of morris is that most of the sides now aren't worth watching. They're obviously having great fun but are unable to dance with any style or precision.  Of course, even in the "good old days" most sides were of only average standard, but few were the sort of shambles which I so often see now. On the other hand those sides which are at the top of their game are perhaps better than ever. 

• Like 2

My objection is to the "slightly racist" bit, which is an unwarranted slur on dancers of my generation. I think this is a disgraceful comment coming from someone in her position, especially when made to the mainstream press.

• Like 1

Morris dancing has been going strong here in NY since at least the '70's.  If you want more clips and info, search Gilbertsville NY Morris dancing.  There's also a thread here from last year with that title....😊

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sandra A said:

Are you playing the concertina or are you one of the dancers?

That’s me on the concertina (46-key Wheatstone Hayden Duet).

12 hours ago, Sandra A said:

Why are they using sticks instead of the scarves?

As they say, “There are two Morris dances: the one with hankies and the one with sticks.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Barnert said:

As they say, “There are two Morris dances: the one with hankies and the one with sticks.”

Hmm...  I think I prefer the girls with hankies in the NY Times article rather than men with sticks.

9 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

No one should have to apologise for being themselves; white, pink, green, or any other tone. I think hat these days there can be too much 'hyper-senstivity' to how we are; instead of accepting differences are what makes the world interesting.

Amen, Brother Simon! 😇

• Haha 1

it's actually an English; demonstrating that you can put lift and bounce (and harmony) into the English system. Nice playing!

True that but this is Jan Elliot playing...............the most astonishing English player.

I think she is one-of-a-kind. I've never heard any other English player being able to do what she does.

10 hours ago, David Barnert said:

5 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

Hmm...  I think I prefer the girls with hankies in the NY Times article rather than men with sticks.

I can assure you they are very nice men. I see them every Wednesday evening.

14 hours ago, hjcjones said:

My objection is to the "slightly racist" bit, which is an unwarranted slur on dancers of my generation. I think this is a disgraceful comment coming from someone in her position, especially when made to the mainstream press.

Agreed. I  sent an email direct to the email address of the Chief Executive on the EFDSS web site (easy to find via the 'Staff' link). I don't suppose I'll get any response...

Am I alone in regarding this comment as 'slightly sexist'...

Edited by lachenal74693

44 minutes ago, lachenal74693 said:

Agreed. I  sent an email direct to the email address of the Chief Executive on the EFDSS web site (easy to find via the 'Staff' link). I don't suppose I'll get any response...

Honestly, I don't think she's arguing that Morris *is* slightly racist, old and white. If the perception—however inaccurate—exists, it should be okay to talk about it, especially to draw attention to the ways it's evolved in the past hundred years. Any tradition that's been around hundreds of years is going to have a fairly intricate history. My own team found it necessary to publish an anti-racism statement a couple years ago.

I thought it was a good article. Admittedly, Boss Morris is maybe a bit on one end of the avant-garde Morris spectrum (if you've seen the mockumentary Morris: A Life With Bells On, you know what a serious accusation that can be)!

Edited by Luke Hillman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Robin Harrison said:

True that but this is Jan Elliot playing...............the most astonishing English player.

I think she is one-of-a-kind. I've never heard any other English player being able to do what she does.

It happens I’m at Pinewoods right now (Early Music Week) and Jan is here. I just showed her your post and she confirmed that was her in the video. She says hi.

8 hours ago, Robin Harrison said:

... Jan Elliot playing...............the most astonishing English player.

Listen to Dave Townsend ...

3 hours ago, David Barnert said:

FYI, the article is in print in this morning’s issue of the New York Times (front page of the Arts section).

I did email the EFDSS about this matter. I have received a reply (which I did not really expect) which very strongly denies that the statement referred to earlier in this thread was ever made. It appears that the press (bless 'em!) re-wrote, condensed, distorted, and mis-reported what was actually said. I won't reproduce any part of the reply I received because it was 'in confidence'...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1