Main "C" button on anglo valve pad keeps overlapping

Hi there, I have a Clover anglo and the primary "C" button on the right hand (pointer finger) valve pad seems loose, or the button is wobbling, or something shifted. It keeps resulting in the valve pad resting slightly on top of the valve pad below it, which lets air through and the note keeps sounding even when the button isn't pressed.

mWkWDgA.jpg

Any thoughts on what could be loose, worn, or going surprisingly wobbly here? I do play a fair amount, and this would be one of the most used buttons.

Thanks,
Geoff

Looks like the rivet may have loosened its grip and is allowing the lever arm to wave around. That might just be the camera angle though.

The pad has shifted out of it’s position. it should be easy enough to tilt and ease it back into place, I would try to gently twist it back by manipulating the black leather piece that connects the pad to the lever. If the pad falls off during the process then you just need a tiny blob of white glue to fix it.

Hi Geoff

Is the button bushed? If so has this worn allowing the button to move sideways?

Similarly, the locating hole for the button, is this enlarged?

Has the lever arm  or pivot post become bent, pulling the pad over?

Has the pad loosened over time, and need securing?

Check the affect the spring is having as you press the button up and down. I have had the situation where the spring pulls to one side rather than staying put. A small tweak to one side has cured the problem, or a replacement spring.

Have you tried operating the button with the end removed so you can see exactly what is going on?

I'm sure there are other possibilities.

Edited by Rod Pearce
text added

Something like this happened on my Ceili (after many years of hard playing). The post had pulled out of the action board, and the official advice was to glue it back in with a tiny bit of epoxy. No problems since. So that is worth checking also. Good luck; this tinkering is part of concertina ownership for most of us.

Ken

It could well be that the rivet is a bit loose, but I would not expect so much movement. I would bend the arm to put the bad more over the hole, then make sure that the pad is properly secured to the lever arm, t5his includes avoiding too much flexibility around the little leather grommet.

With a 2006 Wakker anglo I have had most of the leather discs, between pad and leather bead on levers, fail.

In fact I dont think they could have been leather, glue was fine on both surfaces, but disintergrated between.

The concertina became much crisper in action after all pads were reattached.

Best guess is the pad has twisted on the end of the lever. I would not bend anything in there. It’s v easy to reposition it. Try a little strip of tape to hold it in place to test this theory, before you use some glue on it. Obvs leave the little leather washers etc where they are to keep the button at its current height. As Graham points out, wobbly pads aren’t good. I often use (liquid) hide glue on the pads as this sets hard and holds the pad where it should be…though you might not want to use this…use white glue as others advise.

It can be really hard to advise without having it in my hands but that lever looks a little short - there is always a possibility that the pad needs a strap over the leather nut. Sometimes pads can catch on their pad holes or nearby pads if the lever is short and the button is released very quickly. Adding a strap stops this happening. I'm not saying that is definitely the problem it could well be some of the other things others suggest. 

Edited by Jake Middleton-Metcalfe