Jump to content

Rod Pearce

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Rod Pearce

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Chester, UK

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Is it not possible to take a photograph of the reed slot from the end of the pan, blow it up and print that? You could also blow up the angle as you suggest.
  2. Rod Pearce

    'Breathy' reeds that won't adjust

    Frank, Theo I have checked the fit of the reeds and they are all tight. However I did notice as I removed the reed pan that the inside chamois had become flattened and hardened with age. I roughed this up a little and re-closed the instrument. Hey presto! The breathiness has disappeared and the reeds in question are much louder and more responsive. The whole instrument feels much tighter. Next step is to repeat on the remaining chamois. Thanks again for your invaluable advice. Regards Rod
  3. Rod Pearce

    'Breathy' reeds that won't adjust

    Frank Thank you for your response. I'll check it over and see if any of this applies. Regards Rod
  4. I have a 20 key Anglo that I have recently restored and tuned, but I am now having trouble with 3 reeds on the left hand side that are breathy, causing them to sound quieter that the rest and a lot of bellows travel. The reeds are steel. Several times I have adjusted the reeds and the breathiness reduces but it comes back after playing the instrument for 15 mins or so (I say playing, but as a beginner I really mean attempting to play). The worst case is note C (3rd finger, push). Can anyone offer any advice on how I can sort the problem? Thanks in anticipation. Rod
  5. Rod Pearce

    Thumb Strap Instructions

    No problem Bill. Glad to be of assistance. Best regards Rod
  6. Rod Pearce

    Thumb Strap Instructions

    Bill have made 2 sets of straps from the kit, and still have the CD with the instructions on. I can send you the files by PM later. There a 4 files on the CD, the larget being 9mb. Rod
  7. RAc I made the suggestion of using a chromatic tuner as Larry's original post was referring to a tone generator, which would have required a very good ear to tune the suspect reed. He was also only concerned with a single reed, not a complete re-tune. The suggestion was made in good faith.
  8. Try downloading some free chromatic tuning software (AP Tuner for example). This will enable you to accurately check the pitch of the note as you make adjustments. I have cut and pasted the display screen from the help pages. The idea is to get the needle to 0 for the note in question, in your case D#. Just google AP tuner, the download is available at a number of sites.
  9. Hi Alec You say it is a new concertina. Is it new, or just new to you. If it is new then Wolf's reply about older valves would not apply.
  10. Rod Pearce

    Snapped off end bolts

    If you need replacements try Mark LLoyd-Adey at Concertina-=Spares.com
  11. Rod Pearce

    Peterson Strobosoft Tuning Software

    Theo Thank you. I'll try this approach. Rod☺️
  12. Rod Pearce

    Peterson Strobosoft Tuning Software

    Chris, Theo Thank you for your feedback. I believe the process I am using is somewhat flawed, as I have been sounding each reed in the concertina sitting on my lap, the reed pan in situ and holding the action box in place without screws while expanding the bellows. I do have a tuning rig but was unable to get the reeds tuned closely enough to make using it worthwhile. This afternoon I have made a frame to hold the tuning bellows and will start using this for initial tuning. It should improve the consistency. When it comes to fine tuning and sounding the reeds in the instrument, do you tune/ install / sound the reeds individually, or do a side at a time to minimise the number of times you need to reassemble the instrument? I went for one at a time, hence the process I described above. Many thanks Rod
  13. Does anyone use this software for tuning concertinas? I have been using it for a while, and I would like to understand if anyone else experiences what I would call 'bounce' as the tuned reed is sounded. Although I am expanding / contracting the bellows at a steady rate, as if the instrument is being played, I get different readings on the display depending on where the bellows are in the compression cycle. The reading can vary by as much as 10 cents. I am assuming I should take the reading as near to the middle of the compression cycle rather than at the start or.finish? Rod
  14. Rod Pearce

    Tuning stability

    Dana Thank you for replying. I am now feeling more comfortable with the idea that although the reeds were tuned pretty accurately, I should expect some settlement over time. I will of course be fine tuning them again and hopefully the long term results will be better. Rod
  15. Rod Pearce

    Tuning stability

    Tom Thanks for your very thorough and enlightening explanation. It will take me some time to assimilate it! I am unable to open the attachment, though. I am taking from this and Lofty's reply that the reeds are probrbly OK and I should look at other factors. Incidentally. I came across this thread after I posted my initial question. More food for thought. Rod