Import Duty

Kelteglow

Hi All Can anyone tell me what rate to expect on a concertina sent from Canada to the UK ATB Bob

The customs duty is a few percent - I expect someone will be able to give the numbers... the stinger is 17.5% VAT on top of that.

(Does VAT get charged on vinatge concertinas or just new ones?)

Hi All Can anyone tell me what rate to expect on a concertina sent from Canada to the UK ATB Bob

The customs duty is a few percent - I expect someone will be able to give the numbers... the stinger is 17.5% VAT on top of that.

Whast if you put "return from repair" in the forms?

It has been discussed, but I didn't get clear answer to that.

The amount of customs duty is dependent on the country from which the goods are imported.

VAT is chargeable on the total of customs duty, shipping expenses, import agents fees (usually the courier), and value of the goods (understating the value of goods may result in their forfeiture).

I believe VAT is not payable on vintage items over 100 years old (documentary evidence may be required).

Steve

The amount of customs duty is dependent on the country from which the goods are imported.

VAT is chargeable on the total of customs duty, shipping expenses, import agents fees (usually the courier), and value of the goods (understating the value of goods may result in their forfeiture).

I believe VAT is not payable on vintage items over 100 years old (documentary evidence may be required).

Steve

Would it be possible, do you think, for members to importune each other to carry instruments over from the US and then ship from within the EU? And vice versa?

There are enough of us going back and forth that we might be able to help each other out.

Steve

Would it be possible, do you think, for members to importune each other to carry instruments over from the US and then ship from within the EU? And vice versa?

There are enough of us going back and forth that we might be able to help each other out.

Only if we also stuff cuban cigars into the bellows. Or crack. If you're gonna smuggle, go for the gold.

Edited by wntrmute

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but, if it was made in the UK to begin with, then would it be an import. In the US, it would fall under different rules of personal property if I owned it for a period of time, something like 6 months or so. In any event, I would avoid at all costs, the mention of "Vintage", or "Antique".

Thanks

Leo :unsure:

I think when mine came from the USA I was charged 17.5% VAT on the stated value, plus an inspection fee.

I too have thought about the "being returned from repairer" idea - has anyone done that? I assume the Button Box etc must do it all the time, so do the people at the other end have to pay anything?

I think when mine came from the USA I was charged 17.5% VAT on the stated value, plus an inspection fee.

I too have thought about the "being returned from repairer" idea - has anyone done that? I assume the Button Box etc must do it all the time, so do the people at the other end have to pay anything?

I've done it the other direction. I have had instruments sent from the USA for me to repair in the UK. Sometimes I get charged import duty, sometimes not, it seems a bit of a lottery.

I ask my customers in the USA to mark their customs form "sent for repair" and when I return them I mark the return customs form "returned after repair", and include a copy of the original customs forms with the documents in an envelope on the outside of the parcel. That seems to work for the US customs, but I wouldn't like to guarantee it. As I said before it seems a bit of a lottery whether you get charged or not.

Would it be possible, do you think, for members to importune each other to carry instruments over from the US and then ship from within the EU? And vice versa? There are enough of us going back and forth that we might be able to help each other out.

Great idea, David, but I wouldn't publicize on the net that you're planning to defraud the exchequer out of the customs duty owed! You would still be required to declare the value of the instrument you're hand carrying in...

A few years ago I bought an old 19C wooden flute from a dealer in the US - it cost about £1200, but I had to pay over £250 in duty before it was released to me! I don't think there is a discount for items over 100 years old. Ironically, this was an old English flute that had been sent to the US, and there was no waiver for bringing it back to it's native country.

Cheers,

Pamela

.................................... Ironically, this was an old English flute that had been sent to the US, and there was no waiver for bringing it back to it's native country.

Cheers,

Pamela

Pamela

That answers my question on where it's made. I wasn't sure.

Thanks

Leo :D

If it's not a true statement I believe the technical description for this is "fraud".

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but, if it was made in the UK to begin with, then would it be an import.

I'm afraid it would. There is something called re-import relief, but you only qualify if you personally exported the instrument in the first place.

As for avoiding the mention of antiques, that's bad advice. If you can demonstrate that the item is over 100 years old, which obviously applies to many concertinas, you pay only 5% VAT. Personally, I wouldn't try understating the value (not by too much, anyway!) or declaring it as a gift, because you may end up losing your money and the concertina, and perhaps being fined as well.

If it's not a true statement I believe the technical description for this is "fraud".

Isn't committing fraud against the customs service officially known as "smuggling"? :unsure:

Isn't committing fraud against the customs service officially known as "smuggling"? :unsure:

No fraud is when they see it but you lie on official paperwork about what is is, where it came from, or how much it is worth.

e.g. You import a Concertina worth $5000 but state that it is actually a plastic container for tea leaves worth $1.50 and hope they won't know the difference.

Traditionally smugglers use stealth & misdirection to avoid any interaction with the Customs officers as this requires less paperwork.

e.g. You employ an attractive dancing lady/man (depending on the Customs Officer's inclination) to distract said officer while sneaking past behind them on tip-toes pushing large containers with big yellow stickers reading "Danger Radiation - Fissionable Material" :)

We went thru this discussion back in Sept 2007 when I was negotiating to buy a Hayden Duet Bandoneon from a Briton. The general consensus here seemed to be that lying, cheating, fraud, etc. were best avoided, period.

The upshot was that the US Postal Service charged me no duty on this 20-year-old instrument at all.

Since this is something of a crap shoot, and you're talking about the reverse direction (USA to Europe), your mileage may vary a lot from mine. --Mike K.

PS: The box was originally made in Italy, for whatever that's worth to customs.