Why Did I Join Concertina.net?

PeterT

Picking out the question from the Witney correspondence thread, I'll give my reason for joining Concertina.net.

A friend has been looking for a good quality Anglo for some while (a challenge in itself, as we know), and he happened to mention another web site which he had discovered (and I had not). This prompted me to take a look, just to see what was "new" on the web. I'd actually found Concertina.net a couple of years ago, as I had the site book-marked, but not noticed the Forum (guess that I was looking for something else at the time).

Anyway, I signed up, did a posting, then had a trawl through recent correspondence.

One comment which I will make (which can be applied to all topics), is that whilst we might post "facts" which later turn out to be incorrect, we are all entitled to an opinion. We do, however, have a duty to ensure that because of our opinions, our responses to postings do not degenerate into personal attacks. It's a fine line, which I don't think has been crossed in recent correspondence (others may not agree) , but I think that we are getting close.

Be positive. We've mostly joined Concertina.net to exchange news, views, and ideas. Also, to promote the playing of our very special instrument, encourage more people to take it up, and, hopefully, to make more friends.

Regards,

Peter.

Picking out the question from the Witney correspondence thread, I'll give my reason for joining Concertina.net.

A friend has been looking for a good quality Anglo for some while (a challenge in itself, as we know), and he happened to mention another web site which he had discovered (and I had not). This prompted me to take a look, just to see what was "new" on the web. I'd actually found Concertina.net a couple of years ago, as I had the site book-marked, but not noticed the Forum (guess that I was looking for something else at the time).

Anyway, I signed up, did a posting, then had a trawl through recent correspondence.

One comment which I will make (which can be applied to all topics), is that whilst we might post "facts" which later turn out to be incorrect, we are all entitled to an opinion. We do, however, have a duty to ensure that because of our opinions, our responses to postings do not degenerate into personal attacks. It's a fine line, which I don't think has been crossed in recent correspondence (others may not agree) , but I think that we are getting close.

Be positive. We've mostly joined Concertina.net to exchange news, views, and ideas. Also, to promote the playing of our very special instrument, encourage more people to take it up, and, hopefully, to make more friends.

Regards,

Peter.

Sussed out where I went wrong with other replies - just to say that I totally agree with your posting. There is a lot of interesting stuff being posted that if not careful gets bogged down with things getting a bit personal.

I happened upon CNet. and was "home" right away.

Years ago I was almost always the only free reed player and felt kinda lonely. My band was on a tour of Spain and France in November 1984 and we had been booked to appear at a folk festival in Nante and then a folk club in Brest. For the very first time I was in the majority with free reed players. It brings shivers up my spine to remember it. That same shiver overtook me as I found this place.

For the times I've "crossed the line" as Peter states it, I'm sorry. It took awhile to curb my zeal in finding Nirvana (I'm not kidding).

I first joined Concertina .net because I thought I had something to offer,I soon realised that I knew a lot less than I thought I did and was in fact picked up on my wording on my first posting.

There have been some contributors to this site who have been over aggressive,not prepared to listen to anybody elses point of view and eventually have been down right rude.There are others who are new to this site expect and demand information instead of asking nicely for it. Like the person who wrote to me and put

TUTOR and then his name,I am sorry, but you are still waiting for one.Most members on this site offer their advice on any subject you care to name and do it in a friendly and volantary manner and do not expect abuse in return.A discussion or point argument is acceptable and if the point is never agreed upon,then we part as friends until the next discussion comes around.

This site has been amusing,sometimes hilarious ,informative,interesting and a place to make many friends and long may it continue in that way. Aggressive, demanding,rude PLEASE GO AWAY

Al

I think it should be pointed out that C.net has been remarkably free of the conflict and nastiness that are the norm on other sites. Sometimes we ( I include myself) get testy or petty, but it's almost never outside the bounds of normal interaction between friends and members of a community.

I think we deserve some kudos for going against the tide of online unpleasantness and strife, and our fearless leaders deserve credit for effective moderation on those rare occasions when things get out of hand.

I think it should be pointed out that C.net has been remarkably free of the conflict and nastiness that are the norm on other sites. Sometimes we ( I include myself) get testy or petty, but it's almost never outside the bounds of normal interaction between friends and members of a community.

I think we deserve some kudos for going against the tide of online unpleasantness and strife, and our fearless leaders deserve credit for effective moderation on those rare occasions when things get out of hand.

Here, Here!! or should it be hear, hear...?

any way I agree, and I don't want to fall out about it.

Dave

Haven't seen any personal attacks here...in quite a while.

Haven't seen the free booze, either ;)

Hey, I come here to get away from the snarkiness I find elsewhere on the 'net. And I've never been disappointed by my time here.

On some boards and newsgroups I've check out for the first time, I can't help thinking of the Monty Python 'Arguement' sketch. :D Not here though!

Apologies to non MP fans for mentioning this..... B)

Can't even think of a Monty Python connection with concertinas. :( Anybody???

MC

Uh...I'm here because....I was ordered by a lawyer to 'get a life.' :P Hehehe!! No, it wasn't actually a court order, but... that's true.

Well, sorta. :D

First of all, it's fun to be back online after having just lost our internet services here at home for about a week. Verizon really screwed up our account (...I could see it coming) and we no longer have their DSL. We could sign up again, but....hmm, no thanks...

Anyway, really, what I mean about the lawyer bit is basically that something said to me by a parent of one of my daughter's acquainances years ago -- both her parents were lawyers -- kind of prompted me to surf the internet when, otherwise, I really didn't care to search out forums. (I mean, it wasn't the only reason I started surfing!)

I had a minor disagreement/discussion with the lady over something, and in the course of our conversation regarding the matter, she said, 'GET A LIFE!"

I thought about it. I just don't go out, etc.. I don't drink, etc.. But, anyway, I decided to at least find some forums and stuff, since we had a computer.

Turned out to be a pretty great idea!! :)

Can't even think of a Monty Python connection with concertinas. :( Anybody???

Yep - MP used Lea Nicholson's version of "The Liberty Bell" in one of their 30th anniversary programs! :D

I joined concertina.net because I was looking for info on concertinas. Bought my first very own concertina through the buy and sell section.

Why I'm still here is because generally the forums are filled with interesting, intelligent and sometimes silly threads, all of which I really enjoy. :D

Cheers

Morgana

I joined this forum for its educational value. I can't tell you how much I've learned and how much I've learned about what I don't know. The latter still exceeds the former by a country mile. Most of the threads have been beneficial to me as a newcomer to this instrument and to playing music in general. I read a few snarky remarks now and then, but generally I have found this to be a very accepting and intelligent forum. Who knew concertina folks had such wonderful qualities.

I joined this forum for its educational value. I can't tell you how much I've learned and how much I've learned about what I don't know. The latter still exceeds the former by a country mile. Most of the threads have been beneficial to me as a newcomer to this instrument and to playing music in general. I read a few snarky remarks now and then, but generally I have found this to be a very accepting and intelligent forum. Who knew concertina folks had such wonderful qualities.

Exactly my view. I should like to add, that people are very helpful!

Thinks ---- there must have been a time before the forum, wasn't there?

I have contributed to this forum for a long time, and to rec.music.makers.squeezebox before that and to the Accordion mailing list even before that. I guess I just like the sound of my own voice. I do, though, have a sense of family about this forum that is helped by its size - not so small than conversations rarely get going, not so large that conversations get drowned in the noise, like Mudcat. But the main reason for this sense of family is the number of very nice people who contribute. We have had bad times (old hands will know what I mean if I mention Uppsala) but we're still here and we have great confidence in our moderators.

So far as the Witney thread is concerned, it seemed to me that since no-one was trying to drive that thread beyond its normal life it grew, flourished and is now fading away in the normal course of events. One may hope that the organisers of Witney will now read it and consider whether there are any lessons therein. If they decide not then that, of course, is their prerogative.

Chris

PS I'd love to see the old forum back, just as a read-only resource in its original format. There was some good material therein (including some postings I made just days after my stroke that I would dearly like to recover) and it would be good to be able to browse it again.