Hi everyone,

I’ve been at this a long time and finally decided to take down the old shingle.  I am stopping making new concertinas after I use up my existing stock of materials, and as of last week, have all the orders I will take, hopefully to finish up in 2025.  75 seems like enough.  I will still do repairs on Kensingtons for as long as practical, but I plan to move out most of my shop tools before I am no longer capable.  I will take down my website soon and with it the @kensingtonconcertinas email.  
    I sincerely hope there are younger folks out there that will pick up making concertina reeded instruments , especially making your own reeds.  It isn’t a lucrative endeavor, but if you do good work, there is some payback in the pleasure your instruments will bring.  One advantage today is that the demand for new high quality instruments is much greater than when any of my generation started.  There are a good few people making hybrids right now that are a step up from a Rochelle, making it easy for people to get into, but there is no reason why instruments as good as the best Wheatstones or Jeffries  shouldn’t be available new.  There isn’t any secret to making them, only good materials, good design, good reeds and a desire to do the best you can.  
Best Wishes to all.

Dana Johnson

Kensington Concertinas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 17

Dana,

I'm happy to be one of those on your book for a concertina and through our emails knew I would be one of the last.  As much as I can appreciate the decision to close up the shop, there is certainly some saddest that goes along with it. Hopefully your tooling will find a good home and craftsperson to take your place.

digger

A job well done Dana!

If anyone has not seen inside one of Dana’s concertinas, there is a lot of lovely well thought out engineering in there. And thanks Dana for all of the good sense you put my way over the years.  And the great company on our many phone calls..!

• Like 1

Dana,

I'm very glad you made my lovely, and much admired, G/D concertina for me last year!! Your workmanship is exquisite and will last for generations.

Enjoy the rest of your life!

Best wishes, Andy

PS Have you thought of sharing your years of acquired knowledge and experience with some of the new young makers? 

Dana,

Kensington No. 40 gave me great pleasure the day it arrived and still does to this day. I love its sound and playability.  I'm sorry new Kensingtons won't be available after 2025 for all those who will never get to own one.  But we all move on to where we are called.  Best wishes.  Cary

• Like 1

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear this. There are so many instrument makers and repairers closing up shop lately, it's really worrying.

Though, no doubt you've earned the rest Dana, and your work is just such a magnificent legacy. I often find myself just holding my Kensington and looking at it and admiring everything that went into it. You've made things of utter beauty and exceptional ingenuity and I am so proud to own one. It's easily the best concertina I've played out of many.

Out of additional curiosity, will you occasionally have spare parts still perhaps? Or maybe I could aquire some before the machines are retired? 

I wish you all the best on this last run and look forward to yammering on about my Kensington Concertina for many years to come. Thanks so much Dana.

Well done on all the hard work and dedication you have and are putting into your work. I have been doing it a bit under 10 years and can see how demanding the job is especially if, like yourself you make your own reeds. It can be quite a demanding lifestyle in it's way, and it's a form of manufacturing which from what I have learned does not always fit easily into the modern manufacturing paradigm... So mostly the maker has to go at it alone. 

Best wishes from England and enjoy the world outside the workshop, you will have to tell me what that world is like exactly 😂

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:57 PM, Dana Johnson said:

I sincerely hope there are younger folks out there that will pick up making concertina reeded instruments , especially making your own reeds.  It isn’t a lucrative endeavor, but if you do good work, there is some payback in the pleasure your instruments will bring. 

I will be before to long. :)

I am happy to share what knowledge I’ve gained with anyone interested and am working on getting it down to a readable form that hopefully will be able to jump start interested folks.  I am planning on finding a good home or homes for what stock of parts I will have left over, though  there isn’t anything hard to make.  
Dana

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dana,

we haven't spoken in ages, so it is way past time for me to pipe up. It’s been 28 years since we first met and you were already heavily engrossed in the development of another concertina that ultimately led to the Kensington. That’s a long time to maintain such a high level of devotion to our little musical treasure. You’ve truly earned the right to kick back, relax and reflect on how much you have given the concertina community, and while you are at it, play a few tunes.

I wish you all the best in what the coming years hold in store for you. You’ve done good!

Ross

• Like 3

My first concertina, after playing the box for some years, was a brass reeded Lachenal; I figured they were a big company, I don't have to have steel.  Well, what a chore to get music out of that thing  I figured out the scales at least; and then basically broke a few notes trying to make it work better.

A few years later I bought a Kensington, almost as an impulse purchase - the seller had cut the price a few times.  And have been at it ever since.  Really stumbled onto something grand.  I've played Carrolls and Suttners, and they left nothing to be desired playability wise; but mine is simply the cream of the crop tonally.  Notes never fail to speak perfectly, either. I really prefer the Kensington's big delrin buttons, too; and Dana's general philosophy of building something that won't crack, that can be taken apart easily, that's free of extra added decor that jacks the price up, to make an instrument that's affordable to as many as possible.  And the strap system, where you can adjust the tension in seconds so your friend can give it a try.  Adjusting conventional straps makes me think of those pit crews at the Indy 500, getting the tires off the things ASAP...

I've been thinking that it'd be nice to have a G/D eventually, and figured I'd do business with Dana again - he's been very helpful with advice and repairs - reed swap, new handrests.  Shame to see you go!  But you gotta do what you gotta do. 

• Like 1

Hi Dana,

Best of luck to you in your "retirement".  Sorry that I won't be able to buy another Kensington from you.  My arthritic hands have yet to get back to where I think they should be, but one can hope.  I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used one if I can get back to regular playing.......

Keep the faith,

Mike Scott

Dana,

Thank you for extending your wisdom and encouragement those not so many years ago when I began making my concertinas; yes the the reeds are the heart of the concertina, and, as I discovered, the heart of the fun is making them. I read your posts with the alacrity and wonder of a beginner, and then as I progressed in another wonder at your depth of knowledge and willingness to share it all. Thank you so very much!

David

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Dana,

I'm sorry to hear that your magnificent instruments will no longer be made, but I certainly understand your decision.  I'm just glad I bought no. 92 when I did.  Thank you so much for all the pleasure it has given me.   Wishing you many years of happy, healthy retirement.

All the best,

Bob