Advice for second concertina

My 14 yr old son has been playing a McNeela Wren for about 2 years now and his teacher says he has reached the point where the instrument is limiting him. Our budget for a new instrument is $2000 - $3000 and of course we want to get the best we can for that. Our local options seem to be limited (Tennessee, USA). Homewood music in Birmingham AL is about a 3hr drive away and they currently have a ICC Clare in our price range and an ICC Vintage just outside it. We've also been looking at used instruments through Barleycorn. The question is - would it be better to get a newer instrument that he can actually see and play in person first? Or would one of Barleycorn's used instruments in the same price range be better in the long run, even though he couldn't try it out first? I am hoping we could at least hear a sample played in a video recording to get an idea of the sound.  Thanks for your input.

-Evangeline

Evangeline: Having purchased at least 15 concertinas over 50 years, I can say that most reputable sellers/dealers are willing to send a video of the instrument being played. As to which to buy, whether its old or new, expensive or not, what makes a concertina right for anyone, especially a beginner: 1- Does it sound nice?  2- Do the mechanics of the bellows, buttons, and action feel good?  3- Is it well constructed, durable, and backed by the dealer?  I prefer traditional "English-mount" reeds, ICC Clares (a hybrid) use accordion reeds (which if well chambered and baffled can sound very nice, but not as pure a tone). The only 2 concertinas I bought before I actually played them were from VERY reputable dealers and they did not disappoint! Also, you could take another player along for a second opinion on sound and quality.

Good Luck on Your Acquisition!

If there is an option to look at and play it, and make an informed decision based on actually having it in your hands. There is no comparison. Do That. And also, bring yours with you. Ted may be able to take yours in trade. 

But, more importantly, having the two next to each other is HUGE. When you are looking at something new. There is always that impression, temptation to think that the new one is superior, better, etc. . In many cases, that is not the case. And being able to directly compare yours to theirs, (hopefully objectively) can save a lot of buyer's remorse.

Also, if you go to Ted's.. Chances are very good that he will have a selection of instruments. Many may be out of your price range. But, still look at, play them, and get an idea for different makes and models and what a step up price range gets you (or doesn't).  At least at that point you'd be able to make a far better determination as to buying something remotely.

After trying out. You might find that the "step up" you may be considering, really does not get you what you are looking for. I assume that you are probably looking for a faster box. You might actually find that the proposed step up, may be a bit nicer aesthetically. But not in terms of speed and response. And that you'd be better waiting for a different option, or possibly saving up for something different.

Edited by seanc

If you can afford to go a little bit higher than $3000 give Dana Johnston a call at Kensington Concertinas.  He makes each on, they have concertina reeds, and I can attest to how well they play and Dana's help.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies.

I should have mentioned that we are looking for a c/g Anglo concertina. He plays Irish traditional.

I think we have written off getting a vintage concertina at this point. Factors we are considering: 

- He won't be able to play one first. Even if a video could convey the sound perfectly, it still wouldn't let him feel the playability of the instrument.

- Shipping, insurance and import costs will eat into our budget.

- We read that they may be more susceptible to humidity changes (we heat with wood, so our house gets very dry in winter, and summers in TN are extremely humid).

Kensington is giving us something to think about. Maybe he can hold out a bit longer and we can save up for that? We were hoping to do a road trip that direction this summer anyway.

In the meantime, he will try to play as many different concertinas as he can and we will likely plan a trip to visit Bob Tedrow sometime next month.

Thanks again!

I'd talk to Bob Tedrow at Homewood, his stock of instruments seems be pretty active and he maintains a mailing list.

Since you are only three hours away, it may be worth a visit.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 2

Evangeline, if you were to go for a Kensington you wouldn't need to pay the full cost up front as Dana would be building it for you, so you'd pay a deposit, with the rest due upon completion - depending on the build time and whether or how long Dana's wait list is for a build that could be months away, which would give time to save up however much over budget the cost is and in the meantime the build process would already be in motion.

Hi

My thoughts .....imho:

For anyone, especially a young person, I think you would want an instrument, however it sounds, that has a good playability. I mean it is easy to play: there is not an oppressive amount of resistance to push and pull the sounds out of it. I think to have to struggle with just making the sounds and articulating the musicality of the playing would be very discouraging. I suppose that is why the hybids with accordion reed could be a good bet for beginners. I think playability is the prime quality in your son's situation. Developing and appreciating tone and other nuances will grow and be enhanced over time and will sort themselves out in future acquisitions.  

Getting an instrument from overseas would probably include a large import duty which would add on to the price. But this might be worth it if you find the right instrument.

In the long run it is very easy to spend much more money cumulatively slowly moving up the concertina chain buying a little better instrument each time, rather than jumping in a getting the best instrument you think you would love and benefit from when you are confident of your commitment. The better instruments will hold their value too. If your son has shown the commitment already that is a good sign. 

I love the the older instruments. For what it is worth if you could find 30 button rosewood ended (with the fancier end design) that you know will bring joy, not tears to play, that could be a good move. They are much more affordable. Barleycorn always has many choices for these.

It's the trying out in person that is always a problem. If your son could attend any of the various concertina workshops here and there he could have a chance to try out all sorts of instruments and hone in on what his next move could be.

Richard

Edited by richard

Evangeline, I recently upgraded from a Wren to a one-year-old ICC Vintage that was purchased directly from ICC. Sean Garvey at ICC will honor the remainder of the 5 year warranty. I’ve had it for a couple of months now and I’m extremely happy with it. There is just no comparison to the Wren, and it just seems wrong to classify them as the same instrument honestly. The Vintage buttons are so precise and the reeds speak immediately. I love the sound. I don’t have to contort my fingers to reach the first (G) row of buttons any more. When I was learning on the Wren (the only concertina I’d ever held at the time) I couldn’t understand how people could do cuts, grace notes, and rolls so quickly. Once I held the Vintage it was obvious that the Wren is very limited; it was the right choice to start on because I’d have never paid for a more expensive concertina without knowing if I would take to the instrument, but I outgrew the Wren pretty quickly. Anyway, the long and short of it is I bought a Vintage and couldn’t be happier - for whatever that’s worth.

I would encourage you to correspond with or call Sean. He was very quick to respond, and he seems to have a few used instruments that are in excellent shape and that he’s gone over. They’re priced very competitively, and may well be in the price range you mentioned.  

Edited by David Bradford

I have bought several instruments from Barleycorn and have been pleased with him. There should be no import duties shipping to the USA. Shipping to the UK is a horrible task.

You might consider a 3 row Anglo. It will open you up to playing in more keys.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Brilliant! Glad to hear it. I had a great experience upgrading to one of Bob's instruments myself some years ago, I'm confident it will work out well for your son too :)