Hot enough to melt glue

Yesterday was so hot here in Italy that, left in the sun, the hide glue in my glue pot melted.

I didn't need to warm up the glue at all in my bain-marie.

Leaving an instrument in a car when it's so hot could well have disastrous consequences.

Edited by SteveS

Instruments with waxed-in reeds are also at risk in high-heat situations. Several years ago while performing on stage in 100+ weather in San Antonio, TX, reeds literally fell out of my Hohner pokerwork melodeon.

The first clue was hearing air instead of notes, and then the disconcerting realization that there were reeds jangling about at the bottom of the bellows. Needless to say, the tune ended early!

Gary

11 hours ago, gcoover said:

Instruments with waxed-in reeds are also at risk in high-heat situations. Several years ago while performing on stage in 100+ weather in San Antonio, TX, reeds literally fell out of my Hohner pokerwork melodeon.

The first clue was hearing air instead of notes, and then the disconcerting realization that there were reeds jangling about at the bottom of the bellows. Needless to say, the tune ended early!

I saw a similar thing in a session at a  UK festival once.  The player took out his melodeon from the gig bag, and started to play - nothing - only a rattle from the unattached reeds.  He apparently got it repaired the same day, there being an accordion repairer on-site at the festival's trade fair.  So all was well in the end - but lesson learned.

Edited by SteveS

2 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Is there not a modern glue that can be used in place of the traditional glue? Surely there is now more choice for alternatives ?

AFIK there are no modern glues with the same characteristics as hide glue.  Hide glue even when cracked or flexed, continues to grab.  It pulls the glued parts uniformly toward each other.  And new hide glue will stick to old hide glue.  Hide glue is normally heated to about 50-55C - above that its gluing ability can be degraded.

Ed. and hide glue is reversible, meaning that parts glued with hide glue can be taken apart - modern glues do not exhibit this property.  It's an important factor when considering the maintenance and repair aspect of musical instruments, which is why hide glue is favoured by luthiers.

Edited by SteveS
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Is there not a modern glue that can be used in place of the traditional glue? Surely there is now more choice for alternatives ?

Similarly, would concertina makers have ever used hide glue if more modern glues had been available at the time?

Same as the old valve amp vs Soilid state amp discussion.

Personally I would suspect not.