Reed gone flat

The G4 pull reed on my English has just become a nice steady F#4 all by itself. I looks like one of the original nickel silver reeds, but I can't see anything obviously wrong with it. It isn't dirty and the valve is working well.

Any ideas/ prognosis? (I am used to working on melodeons so I understand free reeds in general.)

Thanks

Tiposx

Has it started to crack? I once had a B sound as a Bb on a bass when playing for a dance. It took me a while to work out who was playing the ‘wrong’ note, but when the dance finished and I could hear properly, I realised it was me.

When I played a long note, the pitch dropped gradually and then the reed snapped with a “ping”.

Colin Dipper made me a replacement and I had it by return of post.

Don’t worry too much, though: it might be something else.

Steve

Update : The reed is definitely dead. It had gone floppy- it looks like it has failed along the step near the base, created by all the reed filing it has had since around 1853.

So can anyone suggest a supplier of replacement for this Rock Chidley reed in either nickel silver or brass?

Or possibly a source for the whole plate/ reed assembly?I don't know if the size of the reed plate varies between makers. 

Failing that I will probably have a go at making a new reed from hardened brass sheet.

2 hours ago, Tiposx said:

So can anyone suggest a supplier of replacement for this Rock Chidley reed in either nickel silver or brass?

Try  Mark Lloyd-Adey at Concertina-Spares.com

https://concertina-spares.com

email: mark@concertina-spares.com

By telephone – from 10.00am – 6.00pm – 01650511888 

I suggest you try ringing him first as he is often off-line