Sign in to follow this  
johnconstable

Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

Saguaro,

I estimate the year of manufacture of your Maccann No. 2046 as circa 1910. I do not have any receipts or other info for Maccan duets  in this serial number range, but here is the logic of my estimate: 

Maccann duets had the early duet numbering sequence. (starting in 1884).

When Crane duets appeared, they originally had a separate serial number series (starting in 1896).

However, when the Buttersworth patent owned by Crane expired, the joint Crane-Maccann series emerged, proceeding from the then current top of the Maccann series, which was  then at or around No. 2000. This occurred in 1910/1911 when the patent  had expired. At that time, the old separate Crane series was around 1200.

CORRECTION. STOP THE PRESS!

I am embarrassed to say that the above message is fairly logical but totally wrong. I have found an original sales record for Maccann No. 1819 dated February 8, 1898, with a label of "Maccann Concertina Academy, Liverpool, Lachenal & Co Instrument. " Thus, my new estimate for No. 2046 is circa 1900.

Edited by Dowright
CORRECTION

On 2/6/2019 at 7:17 AM, Dowright said:

When Crane duets appeared, they originally had a separate serial number series (starting in 1896).

However, when the Buttersworth patent owned by Crane expired, the joint Crane-Maccann series emerged, proceeding from the then current top of the Maccann series, which was  then at or around No. 2000. This occurred in 1910/1911 when the patent  had expired. At that time, the old separate Crane series was around 1200.

Thank you dowright.  I also have a Lachenal Crane S/N 3008.  Where would you estimate that falling?

Also, did you receive my PM on the topic of miniatures?

saguaro,

Ironically, The mistaken estimate that I originally had for your Maccann No 2046 is close to the estimated date--hopefully correct--that I have for your Crane No. 3008. I do not have a sales receipt for a Crane with serial number close to your Crane number of 3008, but I used other information to arrive at estimate of circa 1911.  Weak supporting evidence is provided by a Crane Triumph with serial number 3032, which is the first Triumph in my data. The Salvation Army  formally adopted the  Crane/Triumph in 1912, which is when the Salvation Army's Triumph tutor was published.

Edited by Dowright

Hi Dowright,

One more for you, Lachenal 81 key Maccann, S/N 894?

Also, I've been trying to contact you, off list.  Would you be able to send me a message to saguaro.squeezer@gmail.com?

Kind regards,

Rod

Rod;

Maccann No. 894 is not especially easy to date, but my best estimate is circa 1890-1891. Inside No. 729 was written "John Thomas, Concertina Soloist, March 4 1896". But I am certain that this entry was made several years after the manufacture. If he bought it in 1890-1891,  five years later would have been about the right time for a tune-up/repair at which time the inscription could be made while it was opened up.

I have been slow in sending you an email because, when I do, I want to attach some photos of the two 12-key Crabb English miniatures tht I have. COMING SOON !