Ccad

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay on this thread for now, forget ICA. That one awful person does not deserve you.

Actually, the awful person in question is blocked from the ICA list, just as he is blocked from this forum. He spends a lot of time trying to circumvent both blocks, but "by his works ye shall know him", it never seems to do him much good.

Chris

Goodness - I know at least 2 other concertina players that live on narrow boats in the NW of England

The concrtina really suits Narrowboat living. (unlike theTuba!) By the way I live in the north Midlands, so not far from your friends.

I wonder, is it narrowboaters that like concertinas, or concertina players that like narrowboats?

.. and I also know tuba player ... though he's a bit fiurther away

there are some "tunes" here (shameless plug) ... http://www.bivens.ca/TubaBoy.htm

and ... vaguely relevant to the MIAD theme .. I only just found out, you can get fibreglass tubas! That'd save on Brasso! - and maybe even stay afloat if you fell off the boat!

Chris

.. in Lostock Gralam, just off the N. Staffs canal ... in a house. :)

.......I think some people are confused by the CCAD subject and the root of it lies in the word "disorder"

It is NOT a disorder, it is thus; we are all of us born imperfect and need a concertina to become perfect ( because it's a perfect instrument ).

Now this is the crux of it.................some of us are born more imperfect than others and so need more..............well, you can work the rest of it out.

It's kind of like taking viatmins!

PS........and it only by trolling eBay do I realize just how imperfect I am.

.......I think some people are confused by the CCAD subject and the root of it lies in the word "disorder"

It is NOT a disorder, it is thus; we are all of us born imperfect and need a concertina to become perfect ( because it's a perfect instrument ).

Now this is the crux of it.................some of us are born  more imperfect than others and so need more..............well, you can work the rest of it out.

It's kind of like taking viatmins!

PS........and it only by trolling eBay do I realize just how imperfect I am.

Robin, with respect, I must reject the basic premise of your argument. There can really only be one perfect instrument... since there are several different varieties of concertina, and even variations within the varieites (different tunings, different number of buttons, etc), it becomes clear that only one model of one concertina company of one concertina type is the perfect instrument (if it is based on price i guess that would be 30 button Jefferies C/G anglos... but i am not committed to that). Any variation on that perfect instrument would by the very definition of perfect be less than perfect. So essentially people are trying to become perfect by compulsively acquiring less than perfect instruments.

Further lets assume that you do collect only perfect instruments; alas it still does not get you any closer to the goal of perfection. The basic problem is that you can't make something imperfect perfect simply by adding something perfect to the imperfect. Perfection is something to be aspired to, to be achieved; it cannot be bought.

Ultimately as my analysis shows, you are deep in the throws of CCAD. Your only real hope is to send all your concertinas to me where I will safely take care of them and make sure they never end up on the market to tempt your CCAD ever again :).

--

Bill

Yes - I have to admit it.

In fact, I am fighting against the dreaded "should I try a Hayden?" phase.

Most of my instruments were obtained under the "It has to be saved from not being played" rationalization.

I recognise this as lacking in credibility, particularly in the case of the poor knocked-about mandonlin I saved from a second hand junk shop, and can't play. But at least I keep it in tune.

In fact, I am fighting against the dreaded "should I try a Hayden?" phase.

The answer is, of course, "yes".

I made the mistake of trying out a lovely Countryman metal-bodied resonator guitar yesterday - it's only a cheapie version of the "proper" National-type resonators, but great to play nonetheless.

I haven't bought it.

Yet.

Thank you, Derek, I eagerly await the picture.

Course if you don't have power on the boat, you could always snail mail me a picture!

Lived on the boat long?

Helen

If people don't like the tuba playing, do they dunk you? With the tuba?

Hi Helen

I need the PC at work to down load the pictures from my camera!

I have lived on my boat for about two years now, and have just got used to the lack of space (enter the Tuba and mess the routine up!)

Luckily where I moor, there is no-one within 300 yards so my efforts go undetected, except for a confused herd of cattle. :rolleyes:

Derek

Looking at it in terms of a search for perfection by the aquisistion of a concertina it would lead to different individuals requiring a different "prescription" of instruments to achieve the perfect state. We can't all have the same deficiency, so we all need something to suit.

This does beg the question of what the condition each of us has is and what its name is!

Anyone got some suitably doctored (excuse pun) names for our individual and collective conditions?

Robin Madge

et tu, Chris?

Is this what I get for my selfless attempts to provide people with CCAD a place to safely dispose of their concertinas? I will willingly take on the burden of having more concertinas than I need so that others may avoid the horrific effects of this disease. Think of your families people! :)

At least like some people on this list I am not in denial :)

--

Bill

Oh well John I KNOW that you are part of ICA. And hey, I gave you permission to go back. See I can tease you about that because Jim is not posting right now and gonna call me on it as if I was being serious. (Hi Jim, still trying to entice you into replying. Although I have seen newer entries but capped at the 2500. You can't fool me.)

Besides, you (back to John) are the money man, they'll be nice to you.

Robin, I like how you think.

Bill, you humanitarian you, misunderstood by your fellow music makers. And being selfless as you are. How that must hurt.

Hee hee hee.

Helen

Besides, you (back to John) are the money man, they'll be nice to you.

Well, a lot of people are but there are always some exceptions. <_<

On Thusday I will set off on a 500 mile journey to spend Christmas with my mum and other family members. I expect therefore I will be offline for nearly 2 weeks.

So, may I wish everyone a merry Christmas and have a guid new year when it comes.

- John