No Comment

Thanks for that, it certainly made me

(i chuckle

(ii Google the original - https://www.library.yorku.ca/find/Record/3114525

[Edited - curse the flipping post editor converting everything it can into a smiley. I posted some abc on Facebook yesterday and that did the same thing to the standard colon and right-square-bracket ending of a repeat at the end of a tune. It drives me MAD I tell you! Thank you, we now return you to our regular programmes]

Edited by Steve Mansfield

Thanks for that, it certainly made me

(i chuckle

(ii Google the original - https://www.library.yorku.ca/find/Record/3114525

[Edited - curse the flipping post editor converting everything it can into a smiley. I posted some abc on Facebook yesterday and that did the same thing to the standard colon and right-square-bracket ending of a repeat at the end of a tune. It drives me MAD I tell you! Thank you, we now return you to our regular programmes]

Just enclose the abc in

[code]Code tags[/code]

and the text will be rendered literally.

Unusual for a man to wear ladies' shoes when playing the concertina.

Not my preference, but each to their own.

Perhaps that's what I've been doing wrong all these years????

I don't think he's wearing ladies low pumps, but rather he's wearing men's high dress shoes, but with spats over the tops:

a24z6r.jpg

Edited by MatthewVanitas

Unusual for a man to wear ladies' shoes when playing the concertina.

Not my preference, but each to their own.

Perhaps that's what I've been doing wrong all these years????

I don't think he's wearing ladies low pumps, but rather he's wearing men's high dress shoes, but with spats over the tops:

a24z6r.jpg

I think you're probably correct, Matthew, but at first impression....

Reminds me of a bit of true family history!

In his bachelor days, my father (being from the country) played the melodeon. My mother (being from the city) regarded this as uncouth to the extreme. It seems that, when marriage was imminent, my mother said, "That thing or me!" or words to that effect. Thereupon my father took his melodeon to a Dublin pawn-shop to sell it, but had his eye caught by a beautiful Neapolitan mandolin, made in Naples by Stridente. So he traded his melodeon for it. (Being from the country, he also played the fiddle, and realised that he could make sense of a mandolin, too.)

And so it came about that I cut my musical teeth on an exquisite-sounding, easy-action mandolin, which I played for many years, until it succumbed to old age.

My father also played the mouth organ (of which my mother for some reason know only to herself approved), perhaps as a spin-off from his melodeon days. Anyway, he taught it to me, which greatly eased my later entry into the world of the Anglo concertina (to which my mother, probably unaware of its inherent uncouthness, did not object). There's no use in stemming yourself against Fate!

Cheers,

John

Not spats I don't think. The suggestion of a tongue at the vamp, and the fact that he's wearing white tie and tailcoat makes me think he is sporting a particularly hideous bit of Victorian formal wear known variously as the "court shoe", "opera slipper" or "dancing pump". Would certainly make sense in this context,and his companion appears to be wearing the distaff version. And for the Victorian or Edwardian Dandy who was extremely secure in his masculinity, they could be had with a bow!

opera slipper.bmp

Edited by Bill N