Be Gentle With Me - It's My First Time!

I hope you won't mind my mentioning it in this forum, but I have, at last, stumbled blinking into the light of the digital age, and built myself a new website! It's nothing special, but I'm just immensely relieved that it works at all. You'll find it here - hope you like it!

I will try to be gentle, but I also must be cautious. This looks suspiciously like it might be spam, and I would suggest that nobody click on it (I certainly won't) until you tell us a little about your site's relevance to the topic at hand.

Mr. Robertson has been a contributing member here for many years, with nearly 300 posts...

Of course, but that doesn't mean his account wasn't hijacked. I wasn't accusing Mr. R of being a spammer, I was concerned that some malicious person or bot had signed in under his name.

Oh dear, what have I started? I assure you that it was I who started this topic. But then I suppose if I were a scammer, I would say that, wouldn't I!

Definitely! B)

And maybe you would hijack just another account, in order to "get" some "support"! :ph34r:

Extra-double caution is always merited on Facebook, since there are robots that try to steal your facebook account. Concertina.net forum accounts have not yet fallen into the crosshairs, as far as I know, and they seem unlikely to do so in the near future, in my estimation. Fresh accounts posting links still have a heightened risk of being spam, and the text & title of the post that opened the topic really could be rather typical of this sort of spam. However, the spam we get on forums these days is less likely to try to hack your computer, and more likely to be trying to convince google that the spammer's website must be really important, because people talk about it on reputable websites like concertina.net.

Spam of that nature (or of any other nature, really) is rather unlikely to point at http://www.concertina-restoration.co.uk/ , though. I mean, they could, and it would be awfully clever and effective, but buying a new, relevant domain name for every forum you want to spam on has so far proved to be more trouble than it's worth.

yes, very beautiful. A pleasure to browse (and also serves its purpose well - to anchor the name in the back of the mind in case one needs restoration services)!

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

Oh dear, what have I started? I assure you that it was I who started this topic. But then I suppose if I were a scammer, I would say that, wouldn't I!

You haven't started anything, I believe that Dr. Barnert was being perhaps overly cautious in his initial response to your original post. I think that your new web site looks very nice indeed - well done!

Yes, and I apologize. The lack of any reference to concertinas in your post and the way it was constructed to foster sympathy set off all kinds of alarm bells. I was on my iPhone at the time, so I wasn't easily able to see the url you were pointing to, which would have made me feel better. Congratulations on the site, and good luck with the business.

Very nice. I was very disappointed that I missed the beautiful new model you put on Ebay, but the bidding ended at 2AM my time and I was not up to place a final bid. I think maybe it went to Chris Algar but I am not sure.

Actually this one didn't go to Chris.But for future reference, why not do what he does, and use an eBay sniping service? There are many free ones available on line, and they all place your bid in the final seconds. It also has the advantage that you can't get carried away in the heat of battle, and pay more than the box is worth!

Nice site David.

One thing I've noticed accessing it via an ipad, the far right of the page is chopped off. I can just make out the left edge of the contact tab on the ipad screen. I assume this is something to do with the ipad screen format, as the page comes up fine on the office PC. Just wondered if android tablets are similarly affected.

Nice site David.

One thing I've noticed accessing it via an ipad, the far right of the page is chopped off. I can just make out the left edge of the contact tab on the ipad screen. I assume this is something to do with the ipad screen format, as the page comes up fine on the office PC. Just wondered if android tablets are similarly affected.

I checked, and it does the same on my wife's iPad. Actually, both sides are cropped - though it's fine on my MacBook laptop. Any techy 12-year-olds out there who can suggest what I'm doing wrong?

Don't think you are doing anything wrong David. I think you have used one of the many diy websites where you use a set of templates and add your own content. If that is the case then it is the template which is failing to adjust itself to tablets and smart phones. The provider of the templates may have add-ons that will make your pages work on other devices.