Interesting 65-key Crane Aeola on ebay!

conzertino

For those, who do not scan ebay regularly, this metal-ended 65-key Crane Aeola ( best period ) may be interesting!?

Link

January 6, 1925 in the ledgers, which say Crane N.P. Duet Octo 8 3/4. I'd guess that 8 3/4 is the flat-to-flat measurement across an end in inches. (Is that correct?) But what do N.P. and Octo mean?

Has to be of great interest to the Crane players I would think ?

1920's Wheatstone aeola Crane with a half decent range? Must be almost unique I'd have thought. If I played Crane I'd be contacting Beelzebub to arrange easy terms secured against my soul...

Has to be of great interest to the Crane players I would think ?

My interest is indeed very great. Alas, my funds are negligible.

Even so, I've seriously considered paying it a visit, just to see what I'll be missing. I'm unable to get away before the 28th, if at all, but it's "only" about a 6-hour drive from where I am.

1920's Wheatstone aeola Crane with a half decent range? Must be almost unique I'd have thought. If I played Crane I'd be contacting Beelzebub to arrange easy terms secured against my soul...

Secure?

My
soul?

I couldn't even get a
subprime
mortgage on it.
:ph34r:

~~~

I've saved up some money for a Crane/Triumph Duet with 55+ buttons and overall range of 4+ octaves.

I am however reluctant to bid/buy the aforementioned duet on eBay because it doesn't look like it was restored properly.

I am probably better off ordering one from Barleycorn, even if I have to wait a while for it. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I still would be interested to hear Jim's assessment of the 65b Crane when he gets to pay it a visit.

~~~

I've saved up some money for a Crane/Triumph Duet with 55+ buttons and overall range of 4+ octaves.

I am however reluctant to bid/buy the aforementioned duet on eBay because it doesn't look like it was restored properly.

I am probably better off ordering one from Barleycorn, even if I have to wait a while for it. Any thoughts?

I would bother about the stains on (in?) either reedpans...

~~~

Anyway, I still would be interested to hear Jim's assessment of the 65b Crane when he gets to pay it a visit.

~~~

Troy,

it must be remembered that a Wheatstone Aeola Crane Duet is a fairly rare beast. Most of the Wheatstone duet output was of the Maccann type and even of those there were not thousands made.

This one looks as if it would need some restoration, they usually all do, and my concern would be the look of the reeds... there are some marks on them which could be reflections or could be where someone has used a tiny circular grinder to tune the reeds.

You are right to be sceptical but, as Dirge says, if you are a player of the Crane Duet then having an Aeola of good vintage and good range is a most desirable prospect.

and my concern would be the look of the reeds... there are some marks on them which could be reflections or could be where someone has used a tiny circular grinder to tune the reeds.

I agree - there appear ti be soime issues withn the reeds - they look to have been scraped, and the tips appear to have deep indentations., If this is the case, the reeds may well be shot.

and my concern would be the look of the reeds... there are some marks on them which could be reflections or could be where someone has used a tiny circular grinder to tune the reeds.

I agree - there appear ti be soime issues withn the reeds - they look to have been scraped, and the tips appear to have deep indentations., If this is the case, the reeds may well be shot.

A Bb instrument that someone has tried to force up to C perhaps? I know of one well known fettler who killed a big duet trying to do that.

Thank heavens it's only a Crane. Right I'm off for the long weekend....Bye...

...I still would be interested to hear Jim's assessment of the 65b Crane when he gets to pay it a visit.

Unfortunately, for various reasons I haven't been able to leave where I am, and the auction now ends in less than 3 hours.

So I, like others, am simply waiting to see whether it sells, and if so, for how much.

Well, not just sitting here waiting. Shoveling more snow is next on the agenda. B)

So I, like others, am simply waiting to see whether it sells, and if so, for how much.

SOLD ... for £1299!

To Chris Algar, yes?

Well, there was only one bid, so £1299 was the starting price, and apparently no reserve.

If someone here gets to see it in the future, I hope they'll give us a report.

SOLD ... for £1299!

To Chris Algar, yes?

Well, there was only one bid, so £1299 was the starting price, and apparently no reserve.

If someone here gets to see it in the future, I hope they'll give us a report.

I'd thought about bidding, but the state of the reeds really put me off, and I wasn't prepared to take a risk along with the VAT & import duties if the reeds turn out to be buggered.

Edited by SteveS