Congratulations Ukraine

Well another exciting and nailbiting contest is over for another year The Eurovision Song Contest won by Ukraine with a song I shall be singing on my way to work on Monday morning.Sadly I slept through three quarters of the programme but woke in time to see the highlite of the evening when the presenter went to hand the winner the trophy and got her high heals stuck in a grill on the stage.

What a night to remember and we shall all be eagerly waiting for next years contest.

Al

I looked up the "contest" on the web. I'm SURE that Al is looking forward to next year. . . did you see the tight black leather outfits those cute young women were wearing?!?! My guess is that they don't wear stuff like that at sessions in England, though maybe we could start a campaign ;)

My guess is that they don't wear stuff like that at sessions in England, though maybe we could start a campaign ;)

Maybe not at sessions, but I visited the Rochester Sweeps Festival this year to see the Morris and there was one team of ~20 year old girls wearing big boots stripey tights short skirts and leather basques. Now that must be the future of Morris Dancing. ;)

The most interesting thing about this programme is that although the viewing figures suggest millions watch it,the programme is so bad that nobody will actually admit to watching it.I can honestly say that leaving out politics and sport, some of the most embarrasing representation of our country has taken place in this competition.Perhaps next year will be better but it is always worse.Still last year we came last with no points and this fourteenth so thats slightly better.

Have you got your outfit yet Lisa?

Al (cringing in the corner) ;)

Well another exciting and nailbiting contest is over for another year The Eurovision Song Contest won by Ukraine with a song I shall be singing on my way to work on Monday morning.

I remember thinking that one of the songs (possibly the Belgian entry?) did actually have an accordion buried somewhere in the backing track... probably just a MIDI patch rather than the real thing though.

It was, though, a wonderful evening of shockingly bad singing and what dear old Wogan called "underwear music" :rolleyes: And not even Norway got "nul points" this year.

It was, though, a wonderful evening of shockingly bad singing and what dear old Wogan called "underwear music" :rolleyes:

I missed it all, because I forgot. Didn't even connect up my TV (normally disconnected, since I prefer to concentrate on other things). Now I'm regretting that -- only slightly, -- since I'm curious what some of you are talking about... especially this song that Alan likes enough to sing on a Monday morning. (I did see on the web lots of photos of Ruslana and her costume, but no music.)

But I haven't really been interested in the competition since the first time I saw it, when Ireland won with a dance show. (Jean Butler is great, but much better on her own.) Calling it the "Eurovision Song Contest" is a bit like calling a football game the "Champion's League Beer Contest". You couldn't have the contest without the song/beer, but that's not where you look for quality, and it's not what determines the winner.

And not even Norway got "nul points" this year.

Denmark didn't even make it to the finals. But I think we're still trying to treat it as if it were judged on the song and the singing. :(

I visited the Rochester Sweeps Festival this year to see the Morris and there was one team of ~20 year old girls wearing big boots stripey tights short skirts and leather basques.

Hey Lester,

I was there too, and saw those same women. If that's where morris dancing is heading then there's no complaints from me. I didn't actually see them dancing so don't know if they were any good, but hey, who cares?

I am with Rose and Castle by the way (northwest morris team for those who don't know); were you with a team or just watching?.

I also saw the White Rats (from San Fransisco), who sewed their bells directly to their upper arms, although again I didn't actually see them dance (thats the problem when your dancing yourself).

I've got to say that, sadly, I thought the general standard of the dancing was pretty poor, with just a few teams standing out from the crowd. It really does sadden me because poor morris dancing does nothing to enhance the public perception of it. An awful lot of teams seem to depend on gimmicks to get the attention (e.g. a different face colour) rather than good dancing.

I hope I'm not sounding arrogant or complacent here - Rose and Castle were also below normal standard that weekend (not helped by the lack of adhesion between iron and brick pavers - but hey no excuses), but at least we make a serious effort.

Phew, got that off my chest. I will now duck down to avoid the torrent of complaints.

WIth apologies to anyone I've offended

Clive.

Edited to add: PS: I think I only saw one concertina being played all weekend, but then I didn't go to any sessions as the kids wanted to go to the dance, and I gather that Rochester pubs are not too child friendly (on of the locals said that they weren't even people freindly).

Edited again to mellow my expressions a bit.

Edited by Clive Thorne

Maybe not at sessions, but I visited the Rochester Sweeps Festival this year to see the Morris and there was one team of ~20 year old girls wearing big boots stripey tights short skirts and leather basques. Now that must be the future of Morris Dancing.  ;)

they were the 'White Rats', :rolleyes: from San Francisco, which means I probably will not see them again fora long time.

- John Wild :(

Lisa I have to be careful here,will it match my newly purchased light tan vanity case ( must send you all a picture).With my concertinas in it there is no room for the powder puff any suggestions?

Al

Lisa I have to be careful here,will it match my newly purchased light tan vanity case ( must send you all a picture).With my concertinas in it there is no room for the powder puff any suggestions?

Al

Al,

You should see the powder blue cosmetics case I carry my concertina in. I do have a bit of room to spare for the odd contraband. No not Contra Band !

John

...will it match my newly purchased light tan vanity case...?  With my concertinas in it there is no room for the powder puff any suggestions?

Ah. My beige (or should I say "ecru"?) case is a padded camera case, with black straps/stripes. Very cool!

It has room for two concertinas, one larger (tenor-treble Æola or 59-button duet) and one smaller (treble English or standard-size anglo), covered by the cloth case of my set of Bell whistles, with side pockets that accomodate my digital camera and small recorder, and a front pocket that will hold A5 (or folded A4) music sheets and my emergency repair tools.

That doesn't leave much room for a makeup kit, but I've never been much for makeup, not even for Border Morris. :)

And my recently purchased black chalice case with a red velour lining is long enough for there to be room for something (though I'm no sure what ...) at either end of the concertina that nestles there.

Samantha

This case was a love at first sight,a must have case at auction.I left a fairly large bid but got it for an amazing twenty five pounds plus commission.I understand that the only other person who left a bid was furious not to get it ,I am hoping it was not a concertina player.It is tan leather covered ,with a carrying handle and is perfect for two concertinas and my swanee whistle.It is wonderful and I love it.The only thing is it stinks of perfume ,so no playing for me at dockyard pubs for a while.It has a nice mirror so I can watch myself playing.The lipstick is not my shade but you can`t win em all.

Photo to follow.

It is a shame Red barrel is no longer made a pint of it would have been perfect to pour in to take the smell away.

Al

Al and all,

Too bad you didn't tell me sooner. I went the boring route and got a concertina case. How unoriginal. I must see what I can do to rectify this mundane concertina adornment. Hm maybe I can get the concertina some jewelry.

Helen