carroll #40

A thing of beauty! And made here in the states no less. WAY TO GO! I absolutely LOVE the idea of having interchangeable reedpans. I have only once had the pleasure of holding and playing a Bb/f, and I loved the sound. I would prefer that tuning whenever I'm playing alone...

How is the spare set of reedpans stored when not in use? I'd be worried about them warping if not clamped flat as they are in the concertina. Nevertheless a thing of beauty, and if it plays as good as it looks, well, what can I say? I feel another attack of COAD coming on ...

Chris

It is obvious who is glowing....Greg Jowaisas... who gets to set the reeds and tune this new 'tina as well as Wally...the accomplished concertina builder.

The concertina looks beautiful. Job well done... Wally and Greg!

How is the spare set of reedpans stored when not in use? I'd be worried about them warping if not clamped flat as they are in the concertina. Nevertheless a thing of beauty, and if it plays as good as it looks, well, what can I say? I feel another attack of COAD coming on ...

Chris

i think that is a valid concern. maybe they'll chime in on how it is stored.

Thanks to all for the kind words regarding this instrument. This one was our biggest challenge yet but it has set the groundwork for where we are heading with future instruments. In answer to the concerns regarding how the extra set of reedpans are stored, I just added two photos showing how they are clamped together and how they fit into the custom case made for the instrument by Greg Jowaisas.

Instrument #40

Wally

Just a short disclaimer. I'm just one of the Carroll Concertina team led by founder and owner Wally Carroll.

Wally continues to set the bar higher and higher on his instruments and Walt, Jeni, and Eric and I try and follow his instructions.

I will take credit for the Jowaisas Case.

John, Bb is just a wonderful range for the concertina. The notes are not so low that it hinders response but just a whole tone lower takes the shrill edge off the high notes. My next Carroll will be a Bb/F and while I can't promise that it will be fancier than #40 it will be amboyna with green bellows and perhaps some gilding. Stay tuned.

Greg

I remember seeing a button accordion in an ad of Concertina and Squeezebox years ago for a B/C convertible C#/ D. It had a similar case to hold the spare reed pan. I guess the next question is how much is this instrument as built? I wonder if it should have been a double case, and have both as full boxes ready to play at any time.

I remember seeing a button accordion in an ad of Concertina and Squeezebox years ago for a B/C convertible C#/ D. It had a similar case to hold the spare reed pan. I guess the next question is how much is this instrument as built? I wonder if it should have been a double case, and have both as full boxes ready to play at any time.

well, the extra options surely added to the cost, beyond the extra reed pans. but we can be quite fully assured that whatever the cost for the extra reed pans, that they do not cost as much as a full concertina.

i think you overestimate how hard it would be to change out the reed pans. i would make a guess at about 3 minutes, tops. does everyone think that's a fair estimate?

when wally first told me that the reedpans were interchangeable, the first thing i thought was that i wanted to have multiple reedpans. you can bet that within the next 20 years i will have as many reedpans in different keys as is physically possible to fit inside the same frame. think about it: if i want to have 2 or 3 extra keys to play the concertina, would i want a quadruple case, or a case the size of a double with 3 extra reedpans in it? the amount of money i would save would also be substantial, no matter the cost.

although of course it is easier to switch between instruments than switch out reedpans, i wonder how often you will be switching keys that it would warrant the extra money for a full concertina and the extra space. the only time i think it would make sense to have two concertinas would be for a full time musician who did a lot of gigging. and even then i wonder... it might just be easier to switch out reedpans while telling an anecdote than having two concertinas. if you just play at home or at a session, what bother is it to switch out?

i bet you anyone would be jealous if you're concertina had two reedpans, and theirs only had one. i know i am!

Excuse my ignorance....would one wear out any leather or lining with a constant change of reedpans? Will any seal be broken which would allow unwanted air loss? Does anyone have a long term experience with the changing of reedpans to give us some idea what the benefits vs negative effects of using two sets of reedpans?

I love the idea of having two sets of reedpans in different keys.

I am personnaly not convinced, yet, that interchanging reedpans can actually work well over the years. I'm pretty much ignorant with it comes to concertina making, but having two set of reedpans, one of which will get used much less, so might react differently to the weather through the years, I'd say will certainly cause problems in the long run. But then time will prove it right or wrong. One thing is certain, this is darn revolutionary and very exciting idea, so hopefully there will be a few testers out there who can report from time to time on how things are going with their multiple reedpans.

I am happy to have two separate concertinas. In the house I play Bb/F as much as C/G If one of my concertina-friends calls over he generally brings a Bb/F because of the mellower in-house sound.

I would find it inconvenient to be swapping out reed-pans, although I can see the advantage when you're traveling. It's a lot easier to carry one instrument rather than two.

I don't want to say that I gig a lot, but I do find it invaluable to have two boxes in adjacent keys. I find that if any performance greater than 20 minutes can be enhanced by providing a tonal variety for the listener. A whole lot of D, or G, or the relative minors and modes can be boring (" all Irish music sounds the same"0 to the audience. I also vary keys of flute or whistle for the same reason. Switching down a step not only changes the key, but the complexity of overtones, and overall timbre change, give a completely different feel to the tune. Playing high notes on a C or Bb whistle in either a dance tune, or a slow air is a lot more pleasant for me. Playing along with a singer, if only just for a few songs mixed with dance tunes at a festival, is another great reason to have a second box, or whistle. Sessions, I agree normally call for only C/ G, but we do have a flat session here about once a month. We normally bring a long a concert pitched instrument in case someone come to join in, not in the know about our desire to be in C, or occasionally B.

well, the extra options surely added to the cost, beyond the extra reed pans. but we can be quite fully assured that whatever the cost for the extra reed pans, that they do not cost as much as a full concertina.

i think you overestimate how hard it would be to change out the reed pans. i would make a guess at about 3 minutes, tops. does everyone think that's a fair estimate?

when wally first told me that the reedpans were interchangeable, the first thing i thought was that i wanted to have multiple reedpans. you can bet that within the next 20 years i will have as many reedpans in different keys as is physically possible to fit inside the same frame. think about it: if i want to have 2 or 3 extra keys to play the concertina, would i want a quadruple case, or a case the size of a double with 3 extra reedpans in it? the amount of money i would save would also be substantial, no matter the cost.

although of course it is easier to switch between instruments than switch out reedpans, i wonder how often you will be switching keys that it would warrant the extra money for a full concertina and the extra space. the only time i think it would make sense to have two concertinas would be for a full time musician who did a lot of gigging. and even then i wonder... it might just be easier to switch out reedpans while telling an anecdote than having two concertinas. if you just play at home or at a session, what bother is it to switch out?

i bet you anyone would be jealous if you're concertina had two reedpans, and theirs only had one. i know i am!

I am personnaly not convinced, yet, that interchanging reedpans can actually work well over the years. I'm pretty much ignorant with it comes to concertina making, but having two set of reedpans, one of which will get used much less, so might react differently to the weather through the years, I'd say will certainly cause problems in the long run. But then time will prove it right or wrong. One thing is certain, this is darn revolutionary and very exciting idea, so hopefully there will be a few testers out there who can report from time to time on how things are going with their multiple reedpans.

I would be open to using "perspex reedpans" (or plexiglass reedpans) in different keys to compensate for the change of weather. My fear would be in wearing out the leather in the interior of concertina.