Recorded Tune Link Page.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mark...

You said elsewhere that the two tunes of yours on Henks link page were recorded 20 years ago!?!?!?!?

When are you going to let us hear some new down and dirty EC OT tunes? Eh?

Jody

Well, there are two cuts, St. Anne's (fragment) and Teatotaler's along with an excerpt of Oh Susanna from a Steven Foster show I did at my school on the link below my wife Dominique's web link: http:www.frc.mass.edu/teresap/test%20music/. Just look below my signature here.

Leo, who is playing fiddle is 79 years old and the wash tub player asked me and a guitarist to sit down and record several things just to get him recorded for posterity. Leo doesn't rehearse, just calls out the name of the tune and off we goes. I haven't asked Henk to link to them because while I'm up front in the mix, the purpose of our attemps were for Leo and I agree with recent discussions here about what should and should not be submitted.

I am in the midst of work on a solo CD "Goin' Home". It may be a bit of a meleange for most folks, but it has been a long musical journey from folk music, to opera and now doggidly heading home.

Postscript: I feel a clarification is needed....there will be no opera or anything of the sort on Goin' Home.

Edited by Mark Evans

So now I’m really curious, Mark. What is your opera connection? Do you sing, accompany, conduct, produce, direct, or simply enjoy it. (by the way, I just saw An American Tragedy at the Met and loved it. My wife is a childhood friend of the composer, Tobias Picker) ... and by the way, how come no opera on your up and coming CD. Shucks!

Jody

I am a tenor. A free lance singer in the U.S. and Canada, one time Artistic Director for an opera company in Vermont, a voice teacher and started doing school shows in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine spreadin' the good word about opera. Found my Dominique through it and was able to fall into my present gig, Director of the Arts & Humanities Program Series at my college.

Gave opera/oratorio a good run and enjoyed most of it. Have run into very few conductors who were willing to collaborate and just to be honest never felt at home. Just because you have a genetic instrument, language skills and a love for the genre dosen't mean you were meant for the life. I still dabble a couple of times a year to keep my employers smiling, but my true musical soul will always be with folk music.

I wouldn't want to include any operatic literature because this CD is about going home. When Tommy Thomson of the Red Clay Ramblers died, I was thunderstruck. We have only so much time left on this side of the sod and one had best do what needs doin' now. To be sure I'm grateful for the life opera has given me, but in the end ole Roly-Poly needs to make music for my soul with like minded souls.

Next month I'll perform Schumann's Dichterliebe. It will be okay and I'll be into it soon.

I sold my banjo and concertina to do this other close to 20 years ago (within two years of that recording on the links page) and there is much time to make up for.

Edited by Mark Evans

home. When Tommy Thomson of the Red Clay Ramblers died, I was thunderstruck. We have only so much time left on this side of the sod and one had best do what needs doin' now. To be sure I'm grateful for the life opera has given me, but in the end ole Roly-Poly needs to make music for my soul with like minded souls.

Boy, that hit home.

We were great Red Clay fans; never missed a show when they were in our neck of the woods, traveled around a bit to catch them in different venues. What a combination of inventiveness and fidelity to the tradition.

It was such a tragedy when Tommy got sick. I still think of them as seminal influences. When I need to recharge mental batteries, nothing works as well as Twisted Laurel.

Jim, I was so wrapped up in other music and living in general that I was not aware that he had been so ill. While doing the dishes listening to NPR I heard the announcement and felt as if I were having a stroke.

In my mind Tommy was still this Man Mountain Mike cherub with bright eyes, a beautiful bass-baritone voice and a wicked clawhammer/frailing style that drove the Rambles like a runaway freight train. Going to see them for the first time in 1976 at the old Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill was a religious experience. It changed everything for me.

I'm heartened that Bill, Jim and Mike of what is now call the O'Blurs (Original Red Clay Ramblers) are active and on the road often.

I've added two other samples to my music link below: The New San Antonio Rose and in honor of the Ramblers my feeble attempt at the West Virginia 'Holler" When Bacon Was Scarce coupled with Over the Waterfall. I usually perform it with Old Joe Clarke, but Leo didn't want to do it so over the....we went.

I don't know if it is out of print but, Flying Fish re-issued Twisted Laurel and Merchants Lunch together on CD. The digital quality brought forth some things we could never hear with those old scratchy LP's.

Edited by Mark Evans

Jim, I was so wrapped up in other music and living in general that I was not aware that he had been so ill. While doing the dishes listening to NPR I heard the announcement and felt as if I were having a stroke.

I'm heartened that Bill, Jim and Mike of what is now call the O'Blurs (Original Red Clay Ramblers) are active and on the road often.

I don't know if it is out of print but, Flying Fish re-issued Twisted Laurel and Merchants Lunch together on CD. The digital quality brought forth some things we could never hear with those old scratchy LP's.

I didn't know about the O'Blurs. But it won't be the same, without that amazing presence on the stage. Still, the others are amazing musicians.

I have the reissued Twisted Laurel CD, and all the LPs, with scratches that reveal how many times they've been played.

What I've lost : some amazing Ramblers home recordings from the Prairie Home Companion, circa early 1980s, including "Oh how I wish I was in Peoria," and a memorable jam on Bill Cheatum.

And of course their Carter Family stuff was great.

Sorry for the thread drift, but the Red Clay Ramblers were important to a LOT of musicians.

in the end ole Roly-Poly needs to make music for my soul with like minded souls.

Mark, I'm so happy that you've found your love- or, re-found it! Bravo to you, and best of luck with the cd. I hope to be able to hear it when it's ready to be shared with the world!

Thank you. I'm having fun. Dominique doesn't know it yet but I have a little something for her to sing on this project...shh....Harmony on the chorus and traded verses in You Are My Sunshine. She is giving this recording project as my birthday present (lord, she knows her ole Roly-Poly). The engineer will set up in our home, for we love the sound of music made here, the old wood floors and horse hair plaster.

As the 24th was the anniversary of Tommy's passing I got to looking back through stuff on the net, and pulled up the band that Tommy was in before RCR, ground zero so to speak...Hollow Rock String Band. Bertram Levy played mandolin in the group. So you see Jim and I weren't really off topic at all. Makes the hair stand up on the back a me neck.

http://redclayramblers.tripod.com/hrsb.htm

Edited by Mark Evans

Folks, Henk has been very kind in making space for my old archive recordings of Shady Grove on his own site. The college as made a bit more room for me here where I think the old "girls" should now reside.

Additions:

3 other cuts from the Shady Grove concert with me playing banjo (warning: a 20 something playing a blewgrass banjo :ph34r: ).

1 cut from a performance of Haydn's Die Jahreszeiten at MIT in 1998 and perhaps the last time I truely enjoyed singing in that genre. The conductor was relaxed and the orchestra allowed to just make music with me. We call it the Alzheimer's Aria for young Lucas (no relation to Jim) now in the Winter of his life has lost his way in a snow storm.

They put up a few pictures of me and suggest matching up the photo with the cut. <_<

To give a listen, just click on the link bellow Dominique's web link.

Edited by Mark Evans

....................................................1 cut from a performance of Haydn's Die Jahreszeiten at MIT.....................

Love it! Beautiful, Mark. Your voice is so amazing! Enjoyed listening to a few of the Shady Grove cuts, too.

I need to catch up with what's been going on with this thread. There are so many wonderful contributors to the Recorded Tune Links Page (and/or this thread).

I will probably have some new MP3s one of these days, or improvements of my old stuff. Actually, have been learning more about my offline options using a SanDisk Photo Album (a card-reader type of thing) with the TV (...can accept MP3s, too)...but, if I come up with something offline, I'll probably post it online as well.

:ph34r: Okay. Progress. You're all being (eventually) 'pirated'....sorta! :D

Or, something like that.

What I mean, is, I got this MP3 player/recorder thing, a PoGo RipFlash Plus (didn't want an iPod).

I'd thought that the direct MP3 recording option would be great, but, it's a bit...hmm. I think I do prefer my Sony recorder.

BUT...no loss (...this ebay 'deal'), I can put all of you on the SmartMedia card and listen to your tunes while I figure out what to do with this gadget.

This PoGo is missing it's USB cable, and it doesn't seem to do external (SM card) recording with the line-in, so that leaves the built-in mic, and....well, that's really only good for very even/soft voice, not my concertina. Anyway, didn't pay full price, and it's at least good for personal voice memos, and for playing what I've loaded onto the SM card via the computer.

There was a lot going on with the Links Page the last few days. During the last check, it appeared that there were 35 broken links. At the same time a lot of new submissions came in.

1. Brian Peters submitted 5 tunes that are introduced by him in this thread.
  2. Jody Kruskal plays an Irish tune in English/American/Jody style. He introduces the tune in this message.
  3. Jeff Lefferts finished his Whistling Rufus project.
  4. David Barnert was triggered by "Da Slockit Light" played by Chris Timson and submitted his version, played on his Wheatstone Hayden Duet.
  5. As Tom Lawrence is re-recording his material, he withdrew his previous tunes and replaced them with 2 tunes. Each tunes is played on his Edgley A/E, Edgley C/G, Tedrow mini concertina in D and his Dipper County Clare C/G. Tom informed me that more tunes will be published in future.

The page is now free from broken links and is enriched with great contributions :) !

Thanks to Brian, Jody, Jeff, David and Tom ;)

There are 2 new tunes on the Links Page, played by "beginner" Charlotte. She announced the tunes in this topic and she got some encouraging comments.

Charlotte, you're braver (and less techno-challenged) than I am! I think it's great that you have two tunes up there!

Eye yam imp rest!!! :)

With a progress like this in such a relative short time, Charlotte sets an example for beginners. In Lord I. the beginning of octave playing and harmony is already there :o .

First I blanched, Then I blushed, then I had a whisky (mmm). But then again, why not?

Have your whisky first! It might improve your playing and prevent blanching and blushing :lol: