Recorded Tune Link Page.

As your contribution has already an address and is inserted in the Recorded Tunes Link Page, you could edit your original mail and delete the attachment. In this way you get enough Global space to upload Hurdy Gurdy file :)

There! Thanks for the discussion forum tutorial and for hosting my recordings. I have to say that trying to figure out how to do this sort of thing has kept me from participating. To blunder about so publicly is somewhat embarrassing. Your helping hand makes me feel welcome.

So... here is another tune for you all. I made this Hurdy Gurdy file as good a compromise as I could between size and quality.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jody Kruskal has submitted (by e-mail) a new tune, which I included in the Recorded Tunes Link Page.

I quote below the relevant part of his mail:

This tune here is Rockin' Horse. This and all the others you have included on your links page are played on a Jefferies 38 button G/D Anglo. Good guess!!!! If you like, you could quote me when you post this.

The Anglo is great for traditional American fiddle tunes. Old Time American concertina music is a bit different from the English and Irish and other such styles that it was based on. Rockin' Horse is a tune of mine that is pretty much in this Old Timey way of playing but without the fiddle, guitar, mandolin and bass, just concertina. I was deliberate about deconstructing the elements of my playing so folks could hear what's going on and how the elements come together. Let me know what you think.

Jody

He did not only posted the tune as an mp3, but also included a pdf file with the score:

Rocking_Horse.pdf

Thanks Jody!

Again there is an update of the The Links Page:

Klaus Guhl has sent me an e-mail from which I quote below:

three tunes played on my Norman Jubilee, which I bought in june 2005, when started again with the concertina. I quit Concertina playing about 7 years ago after having 1 year of practice. After playing bagpipes for a while I came back to Concertina and so I am following the evoltion of reed instruments.

First tune "Bar al zon" is from Bretagne, an An Dro (a dance, which they dance and sing while stepping the clay of the floors in their houses. It goes on and on and on, repeating the melodie, doing call & response)

Second "3 ships" is a english Christmas Tune, which I found in a book from Mike Raven. Some may play it faster. I don´t know.

Third is a Polka, (Crowd of hens polka) which is popular in the area I live (northern Germany next to the danish border).

Thanks Klaus ;)

Thank you Klaus for the submissions. I enjoyed your I saw three ships come sailing in very much. Tempo is a subjective thing and yours along with the choice of voicing brings a haunting quality to this lovely carol that I found compelling.

I needed a little Christmas spirit tinged with a bit of sadness this morn' as I must force myself to take down the pine laurels and bows from the cottage today :( .

Careful Mark you are not very good with chain saws.Shame about your trees but they did look a bit dangerous,I expect you will replace them with something equally as pretty.

I enjoyed the Breton tune Klaus,one new to me.

Al

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for sharing those files.

That Breton tune is so beautiful and your haunting harmony seemed just right in its simplicity, reminiscent of hurdy gurdies... I have a soft spot for those revolving bows.

Bravo on your slow tempo for “3 ships” I think that you made it work well. Those that play it faster get something very different out of the tune than you did. By taking it slow, I heard a stately grace, gravitas and an introspective private version of what I think of as a bouncy jig. Nice!

Careful Mark you are not very good with chain saws.Shame about your trees but they did look a bit dangerous,I expect you will replace them with something equally as pretty.

Al, the spruce is standing just fine. We decorate the cottage with pine garlands and bows for the Christmas season and today was to be dreaded day when all is supposed to come down. Nasty snow and blowing winds, so it's been put off for another day...hoorah! No chain saws need apply :ph34r:

Edited by Mark Evans

I thought I would use the 14000 hits to this site as a thanks firstly to Henk for all his hard work

and of course to you all for your contributions, ideas and support.

It is something we should feel justly proud of and is recorded reminder of the talent, styles and

playing abilities of our members.

Al

Again there is an update of the Page.

It was already anounced by Al in another thread:

Jody Kruskal and I have been discussing the recent tune I submitted to this page being the tune for the dance Kost er C`hoat. It was this discussion about a fantastic tune recorded by GIGCB that prompted me to record this tune and send to Jody and subsequently to Henk. Jody in return sent me his version of the tune. Jodys version is completely different to mine,although similar in the B part. He has promised to send it in to Henk and I look foreward to your comments.

This tune has a worm in it that makes you want to keep playing it, so BE WARNED.

Al

As announced I received a mail from Jody (quoted below)

Alan posted a Kost er C`hote last week. Here is the same tune and another for that Breton dance transcribed for solo Anglo from Alan Day's CD with his band Here Be Giants GIGCB. Alan and I thought that folks might enjoy hearing the two versions.

Are we witnessing the start of a huge "Kost er C`hoat collection" :unsure: :) :D :lol:

Further updates:

1. I discovered a tune played by Bob Tedrow on a C/G baritone Anglo
  2. On Frank Edgley's site I discovered a fine slow air (title unknown yet)
  3. finally I corrected a lot of small errors

Have fun and keep recording, uploading, submitting ;)

Klaus Guhl took his Klingenthal Silvetta Anglo C/G and thus enriched the Links Page with a new concertina brand. The instrument has (in my ears) a very specific (a bit melancholic) sound. On top of that Klaus plays very well on this cheap instrument. Pictures of the instrument can be found at this web site.

For the description of the tunes I quote from an e-mail that I received fom Klaus:

First tune is the wellknown "Hühnerschar Polka" I sent you before, recorded with my Norman, now with Silvetta. I play some single bass tones "C" in the beginning to let you hear how deep it sound, bit like a tuba (boom boom). Then the melodie comes in and in the end I changed accompaniment and made a little bass run.

Second is a christmas tune "Macht die Türen auf". Children like it. It sounds a bit like "Jingle Bells" in the beginning, a friendly and happy song, it means "open the doors, open your hearts, christmas is coming

soon" O.K a little late now, but I played it often last month.

Third tune is a french walz. I recorded it for to demonstrate how the Silvetta sounds in G Row or in octave playing or chords on the left and melody on the right. It´s a very popular tune more in the south of germany and of course in France.

Thanks Klaus ;)

edited to add the link to Schaumanufaktur the producer of the Silvetta.

Edited by Henk van Aalten