Identity

My tallship handle came about not because I'm a tall ships enthusiast (although I am) but because a friend and I used "Tall Ship Music" as a publishing name for the CD recordings we made several years ago; it also served as a copyright name for the original compositions. In retrospect I might well have used my own name here but what's done is done and changing my username now would only cause confusion.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and peelypost arose from an old genuine nickname of Neily Peely, which resulted in my family being referred to as the Peelys.

I guess that it has stuck after a decade or so of logging into online bulletin boards.

I'll try to make it a habit of including the signature with my name in if I can work out how to do it.

Neil.

GOOD FOLKS: by means of exchanging private e-mails with a number of contributors to C.net. . . .i've learned that there are more than a few contributors who, like me, would like to know the REAL NAME of the person with whom they're corresponding. . . . now i realize there's something cute about some of the names. . . . .but at least some of us find it a bit disconcerting to respond to and ask questions of nameless correspondents. . . . .perhaps everyone is identified in the roster somewhere, but to have to check that is rather cumbersome. . . . . .

BE IT RESOLVED, then, that as of this moment, everyone will identify him or herself with a real name, at least the one that he or she was given. . . . . .

ALL IN FAVOR SAY YEAH. . . . .ALL OPPOSED SAY NOPE..................

Allan W. Atlas

P.S.: i can hear the jeers aimed at this humorless request. . . . . . .perhaps this will be one of the very few times that i don't kill a thread. . . . .or will no one respond simply in order to keep my near record running.............

I can't keep up with this thread, because my head has exploded. :blink:

Richard.

Hi Richard, Pugwash, etc.

I too, am getting dizzy --- I can't believe the amount of energy we are putting into non-concertina issues. :rolleyes:

Pam

a.k.a.

Pamela Berardino

Connecticut, USA

Who would like to know where people are from, and probably due to her age, prefer to know who she is talking to!

Happy New Year All!

Real names, fine, but, now Pam has touched on it, I get more irritated by people who are too idle to put at least some clue (a country is all I'd want) of where they are.

It often affects how you interpret a posting, or can expect a pm reply or whatever.

Actually, another reason I think we may be more inclined to use actual names are that several of us are seriously involved in music, whether as performers, manufacturers, dealers or promoters. I ran a folk society here and did promotions for one in Michigan. It makes a lot more sense to use real names, as we do business with each other as well as socialize.

Alan

it never fails to amaze, and amuse, how folkie forums seem to be crawling with unimaginative people who seem to think that their choices and preferences should be adopted by everyone. fussbudgetty control freaks, who seem really, really frightened by choice. having the choice to reveal or not reveal their names as they prefer, or to let others have the choice to reveal or not reveal their names as they prefer, seems to just terrify this type of personality. it's not enough for these nervous nellies that this forum leaves that choice up to individual members, that they and everyone else are already perfectly free to make their brick-and-mortar names public any time they like, and that this system has been working wonderfully for years. these Temperance Society Ladies think a campaign is in order to get others to proceed the way THEY proceed. please, please, PLEASE go stitch a sampler or something. Miss Thing, if people wish you to know them by name, they are already perfectly free to email you their names anytime they wish. the reason you are not being bombarded with such emails by the hundreds is......oh, my willies, why might that be?

Edited by ceemonster

I can't keep up with this thread, because my head has exploded. :blink:

Richard.

Hi Richard, Pugwash, etc.

I too, am getting dizzy --- I can't believe the amount of energy we are putting into non-concertina issues. :rolleyes:

Pam

a.k.a.

Pamela Berardino

Connecticut, USA

Who would like to know where people are from, and probably due to her age, prefer to know who she is talking to!

Happy New Year All!

Hello Pam, Happy new year.

I would also like to know where people are posting from.

Happy new year to all.

Richard.

it never fails to amaze, and amuse, how folkie forums seem to be crawling with unimaginative people who seem to think that their choices and preferences should be adopted by everyone. fussbudgetty control freaks, who seem really, really frightened by choice. having the choice to reveal or not reveal their names as they prefer, or to let others have the choice to reveal or not reveal their names as they prefer, seems to just terrify this type of personality. it's not enough for these nervous nellies that this forum leaves that choice up to individual members, that they and everyone else are already perfectly free to make their brick-and-mortar names public any time they like, and that this system has been working wonderfully for years. these Temperance Society Ladies think a campaign is in order to get others to proceed the way THEY proceed. please, please, PLEASE go stitch a sampler or something. Miss Thing, if people wish you to know them by name, they are already perfectly free to email you their names anytime they wish. the reason you are not being bombarded with such emails by the hundreds is......oh, my willies, why might that be?

Name calling, pigeon holing and belittling people are of course the acts of a mature, self confident, well balanced individual. :rolleyes:

Nearly missed that. Sorry, Ceemonster, I'm not a folkie and would have no interest in a 'folkie forum'. Lots here may be and would, but you don't have to be a folkie to play the concertina.

Nearly missed that. Sorry, Ceemonster, I'm not a folkie and would have no interest in a 'folkie forum'. Lots here may be and would, but you don't have to be a folkie to play the concertina.

I'm not sure if he was talking to me or you, Dirge.

My point was more that unlike some social network, I am more inclined to pay attention to someone using their own name, or at least not keep it secret when talking about something important, say overhauling a concertina. Just saying you are a builder/repairer for example, doesn't make you one. Likewise with the scholars. Just because 30 years ago a bunch of pimply faced white boy programmers and students choose to hide who they were in the early days of the net while using their employers equipment doesn't mean we need to now.

Alan

... you don't have to be a folkie to play the concertina.

Absolutely, in fact you'd have to take a very blinkered view in order to think such a thing. Indeed, the instigator of this discussion is himself proof that such is not the case: For those who may not be aware of it, Allan is a university professor, musicologist and performer of classical music on the English concertina - hardly my (or anybody else's) definition of a "folkie". :unsure: And he's not the only classical concertinist who's a contributor here, not forgetting those who play jazz, tango, polka, popular music or bluegrass, etc., etc.

But I will mention that, to my knowledge, at least one member didn't previously realise that it is permitted to use your own name when they registered for C.net and, having become aware that they could do so, they've now changed to it.

GOOD FOLKS: first, happy to new year to all. . . . . . .second, Stephen has described me pretty well. . . . . . .though it certainly doesn't mean that i don't like folk music. . . . .i just don't play very much. . . . . .

and finally, a quick note to CEEMONSTER: OY!

Allan

FIDDLEHEAD FERN: and a nice nickname it is to boot....................allan

Thank you. A friend thought it up, likening me to a young plant after which I was named. That also happens to be my first instrument choice, so it all works out.

I figure it describes me better than simply putting down my whole name.

Oh yes, and Happy New Year to all!!

Edited by Fiddlehead Fern