Asher Perkins Concertina Champion

To hear and see Asher Perkins, please visit my website www.concertinas.ca He is one of the best concertina players either side of the Atlantic, and up to now, a best kept secret. He amazes me with his playing. These are all first takes, with him literally taking the concertina out of the case, with no warm up. Don't miss it!

Guest Mick Diles
To hear and see Asher Perkins, please visit my website www.concertinas.ca He is one of the best concertina players either side of the Atlantic, and up to now, a best kept secret. He amazes me with his playing. These are all first takes, with him literally taking the concertina out of the case, with no warm up. Don't miss it!

Frank

Great player on a great instrument!! Congratulations :)

Dear Frank,

thank you - this is really amazing. I listened to the tunes times and times again. But I think someone has to start playing concertina from the cradle on to reach such a mastership. No chance for a beginner in the older years - even with your fine instument in the hands.

Best regards,

Jo

I am with Greg on this one.Where on the site is it?

I have looked to all the links with no mention of this player.

Al and Greg--

your browers must not have the Flash player installed. The video should pop up automatically; you don't have to go searching for it.

Frank --

Great playing. Can we assume it's one of your concertinas?

Edited to say: DUH, just read the caption. It is.

Edited by Jim Besser

Al

A video comes up with music as soon as the site comes up. What's the problem?

Very good playing and a great sounding tina. Presume it's one of Edgley's.

And one so young too. Dam!

Chas

Edited by fidjit

Al

A video comes up with music as soon as the site comes up. What's the problem?

Very good playing and a great sounding tina. Presume it's one of Edgley's.

And one so young too. Dam!

Chas

The problem Chas is that on my computer it does not.

No Music and No Video

Al

Alan, did you try installing Flash?

JOACHIM: "thank you - this is really amazing. I listened to the tunes times and times again. But I think someone has to start playing concertina from the cradle on to reach such a mastership. No chance for a beginner in the older years - even with your fine instument in the hands."

FRANK: That's one thing that is really amazing. He had never had a concertina in his hands until he got one from me about four years ago. However, he had been playing button accordion about two years before that. He comes from a musical family. His older sister is a great fiddle player, and his parents are singers, and play guitar and dulcimer. Asher has never had a lesson. He's a great listener, though.

Edited by Frank Edgley

Reminds me of Chris Stevens after he'd been playing a couple years. I't is amazing what these young players can do in so short a time. This one will be worth following if he doesn't trade it in for an electric guitar. ( even that career would be worth a listen I bet.)

Dana

Pleasant listening but he should learn to play without tapping his foot.

Are you being sarcastic?

In some venues foot tapping is frowned upon ( symphony orchestras and the like where it is the conductor's job to keep the time ) in others it is seen more as rhythic accompaniment, and in others is music in it's own right ( clogging for instance ) In small groups of less experienced players, Having someone who taps their foot evenly and with fair volume, can really help keep people from getting out of sync or running away with a tune. Good piano, guitar or bodrhan playing is even better.

Dana

Wow.

FRANK: That's one thing that is really amazing. He had never had a concertina in his hands until he got one from me about four years ago. However, he had been playing button accordion about two years before that. He comes from a musical family. His older sister is a great fiddle player, and his parents are singers, and play guitar and dulcimer. Asher has never had a lesson. He's a great listener, though.

In some venues foot tapping is frowned upon ( symphony orchestras and the like where it is the conductor's job to keep the time ) in others it is seen more as rhythic accompaniment, and in others is music in it's own right ( clogging for instance ) In small groups of less experienced players, Having someone who taps their foot evenly and with fair volume, can really help keep people from getting out of sync or running away with a tune. Good piano, guitar or bodrhan playing is even better.

Dana

This is traditional Irish music we're talking about--everyone taps their feet occasionally and some do nearly all the time. It's a part of the sound. There's certainly nothing wrong with it and you'd be hard-pressed to find a session anywhere with no one tapping their feet.