The Trouble With Anglo Concertina Availability

I’d be curious if anyone here actually has an instrument in their possession that they feel they don’t deserve based on their playing level or interest.
I've always had several good intruments - including 2 or 3 on indefinite "loan" to friends (or even aquaintances). A few years ago I realised that I rarely play my button accordions (high-end Castagnaris) so sold them to some very appreciative folks. I feels good to have boxes I don't use out there making music.

My "deservedness" for having good instruments didn't enter into my thoughts though the deserve of the music community to have under-utilitzed quality instruments was the motivation for spreading them around.

I *do* know quite a few (more than a few - many!) people who have great instruments that they NEVER play. Every now and then I'll give them a gentle nudge about them taking it up or letting them go. Their response is usually that they don't *need* to sell them, so why not hang onto them, particularly as their values are going up so much faster than stocks or any other acquisitions they have.

-- Rich --

I was thinking of bidding myself but never thought the price would go that high, but if Chris thinks it's worth that much than it must be. Had it been ebony-ended, in concert pitch and with a few more keys I would understand the price. Maybe he was able to play the concertina before bidding?

Or that Chris understands this marketplace perfectly. Our understanding of prices from even 6 months to a year ago is probably out of date.

Happy Halloween.

I *do* know quite a few (more than a few - many!) people who have great instruments that they NEVER play. Every now and then I'll give them a gentle nudge about them taking it up or letting them go. Their response is usually that they don't *need* to sell them, so why not hang onto them, particularly as their values are going up so much faster than stocks or any other acquisitions they have.

-- Rich --

Precisely the type of situations that are motivating my comments. I'm sure we can all come up with similar anecdotes.

I haven't managed to wade all the way through the hyperbole but in case anyone else hasn't mentioned it......... soon we will have midi/ virtual instruments where the merest movement will produce the required result and we can all be happy ( or unable to blame our failings on our instrument).

I hope this comes true as I don't think much of my EC but am unable to reach the financial heights required to satisfy my ego rather than my talent.

Now let's all have a group squeeze/ draw and be thankful we are passionate about something !

I was just perusing the "Buy & Sell" forum and came across this on Ebay:

4e_1.JPG

This is a rosewood ended concertina with metal keys. It belonged to my grandfather Bill Gibbons who was extremely well known in clog dancing circles. I am including a copy of English Dance and Song, 1980 Vol42 No1, which features my grandfather on the cover and inside, playing the concertina. There is also a 3 page article inside giving a verbatim account of an interview my grandfather gave regarding his past history from childhood. As with all musical instruments it needs to be played regularly in order to enjoy and unfortunately I cannot do this instrument justice in the way that my grandfather could. It was manufactured around Oct 11th to Nov18th in 1918. I know that my grandfather had it tuned as he was performing on a regular basis. Postage will be by special courier at a cost of approx £20 .Please send e-mail for details.

The seller points out that he can't play it and it needs to be played. Now he's selling it for exactly the reasons McCabe was hoping for. It might just be that the conscientious people McCabe is appealing to are already out there -- you just have to be looking for them in the right places.

John Connor is an ex employee of Crabb he handmakes all his instruments.There is no Lachenal components. He did two new sets of bellows for me about two years ago and a lovely job he made of them.

I enjoyed the music by the way, but not the discussion.

Al

John Connor is an ex employee of Crabb he handmakes all his instruments.There is no Lachenal components. He did two new sets of bellows for me about two years ago and a lovely job he made of them.

Al

Thanks Alan. He also restored my Jeffries and it is a beautiful job. Especially the bellows. Does this mean he makes new concertina reeds?

Edited by Paul Read

Thanks Alan. He also restored my Jeffries and it is a beautiful job. Especially the bellows. Does this mean he makes new concretina reeds?

Depends. He makes some concertinas with his own reeds and some with reeds rescued from old breaking concertinas. I find my reaction to Connor concertinas varies with the concertina. I have met a few that seemed heavy and unresponsive, but on the other hand hand I owned a Connor G/D for a while that was a delight to play. Occasionally I have met Connors on dealers stands made with Jeffries reeds. These are definitely worth seeking out.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

I totally agree with you Chris,I have played some of his concertinas at Hobgoblin's shop, which is about fifteen minutes away,in Crawley some slightly unresponsive,but still nice instruments.I have played a few Dippers however that for me were similar,but Peter Trimming's Dipper is one of the best concertinas I have ever played.

Nice to see you at the AGM Chris with your other half who sang beautifully at the concert and also looked as though she was enjoying it.

Al

Al

Thanks Alan. He also restored my Jeffries and it is a beautiful job. Especially the bellows. Does this mean he makes new concertina reeds?

My Lachenal is a Connor hot-rod, albeit with Groff reedwork (on Lachenal reeds). By hot-rod I mean new Connor riveted action and new black six-fold bellows. While it is six-fold the folds are unusually deep, and I've never played an instrument with bellows I liked better.

...... soon we will have midi/ virtual instruments ........

Gaagghhhheeeeuuuggghhhh - I hope not :ph34r:

Too late mate! See here ...

http://www.accordionmagic.com/Video.html

Click on 'Video of John Nixon on MIDI concertina'

It just doesn't seem right! :blink: Can't think these'll ever become desirable (just my own opinion...no need for lengthy responses! ;) )

Too late mate! See here ...

http://www.accordionmagic.com/Video.html

Click on 'Video of John Nixon on MIDI concertina'

It just doesn't seem right! :blink: Can't think these'll ever become desirable (just my own opinion...no need for lengthy responses! ;) )

They're an interesting technical exercise but <IMHO> it's like taking all the things that I like about the Concertina, putting them into a plastic bag, jumping up and down on it & then throwing it off a very high cliff. <twitch><twitch>

Just say no! :wacko:

Any time you want to come round and try my Lachenal / Whiteley MIDI anglo, Woody, just give us a bell ...

I saw it that time I came round your home. Thanks for the offer but it's not for me. I think I'll change me name to Mr. Ned Ludd

Edited by Woody

I saw it that time I came round your home. Thanks for the offer but it's not for me. I think I'll change me name to Mr. Ned Ludd

Well, Ned, any time you want to come back to our session with that neat little Jones of yours you'd be more than welcome. Even if the Talent Police were in attendance you'd be safe from them, I'm sure.

Chris