Introducing Our New Traditional Anglo Concertinas

I finally finished the update of our site, including our traditional (with ‘real’ concertina reeds) anglo models: concertina connection .We reserved time in our 2006 schedule for ca. 10 anglos.

We have more traditional concertinas models to be added this year, of which one Wicki/Hayden and one english, both with traditional reeds.

Other new models are a MIDI Wicki/Hayden and the Rochelle anglo, comparable to the Jackie and Jack.

Wim Wakker

Concertina Connection v.o.f.

I finally finished the update of our site, including our traditional (with ‘real’ concertina reeds) anglo models: concertina connection .We reserved time in our 2006 schedule for ca. 10 anglos.

My compliments! The new/traditional anglo looks very good.

As for sound I have a question: is there a big difference between your new anglo and the Phoenix anglo?

Anyone else having trouble seeing Wim's site?

I'm on a Mac, tried several browsers, in both Firefox and Camino I get "Applet fphover started" in the progress bar at the foot of the screen. IE 5.2 hangs. Any suggestions?

I'm on a Mac, tried several browsers, in both Firefox and Camino I get "Applet fphover started" in the progress bar at the foot of the screen. IE 5.2 hangs. Any suggestions?

Hi, Theo -

Smells like Java... (not coffee :D ). Have you updated the Op system recently? There was a major update to Java not long ago. Wim's site uses Java for the buttons in the left side, for a mouse-over ("Hover") effect.

Do a "Software Update..." (below the Apple, upper left) if you are on a broadband connection. If "Java-something" shows up on the updates list, it means that you need it (if you want, that is).

/Henrik

Theo,

Actually, the CC site has been funny on Mac browsers for years - something in the executable code perhaps. Both Paul and I used to experience browser crashes there before OS X came along. That's what we get for being on the dark side of the Force. Just be persistent and you'll get to all of it. I didn't come across any page on the Rochelle, did anyone else?

Agreed, this is an exciting set of developments.

I didn't come across any page on the Rochelle, did anyone else?
Even with MicroSoft XP and Explorer6 Rochelle cannot be found :(

I guess Wim is more excited about his new traditional than about Rochelle (and so am I!!)

What I understood from Wim's post is that the Rochelle and his new Wicki/Hayden duet are "coming soon", but I don't expect to see them advertised on his web site until he's ready to deliver. On the other hand, I believe he's now taking orders for his new "traditional" anglo.

I couldn't view the site on my Mac, OS X 10.2.8, using Firefox or MSIE, but I had success with Safari (1.0.3).

One point of curiousity: The list of models for the Wakker Anglo includes "Model W-A Eir: Only available in Ireland." I wonder what's different/special about that model?

(Must now wipe drool off keyboard.)

This is very exciting news!

Except now I'm actually going to have to choose between buying a Jack and trying English or buying a Rochelle as a back-up anglo.

Well, if that's my worst concertina-related problem in the coming year, I will be happy!

Great... Now I have another instrument that I want....

Still looks like an excellent instrument; if it meets its promise, it ought to help keep the prices on concertinas with traditional reeds to a level that will not be too sharp of a step up from the accordion-reeded models. I wonder if the 10 that Guens-Wakker has allocated for 2006 will be enough to meet demand... particularly considering the wait for most other similar instruments.

--

Bill

I wonder if the 10 that Guens-Wakker has allocated for 2006 will be enough to meet demand... particularly considering the wait for most other similar instruments.

Probably not, very probably not, but the more people making high quality instruments the closer they all, collectively, will get to meeting the demand. As has been said elsewhere, we are living in a concertina renaissance.

Chris

First of all, thanks for the positive remarks. There are some questions/remarks in this thread I think I should shed some light on.

QUOTE(Ken_Coles @ Jan 16 2006, 01:37 PM)

I didn't come across any page on the Rochelle, did anyone else?

There is no page yet... The Rochelle is finished, at least the design. The next step is to finish the proto type and send it to the factory. After that it usually takes another few months for the instrument to be available.

As for sound I have a question: is there a big difference between your new anglo and the Phoenix anglo?

There is a difference between the Phoenix and the W-A models. The Phoenix anglos use (vintage) standard reeds (Wheatstone, Lachenal, Crabb, etc.) The W-A models have long scale reeds, which have a much tighter fit (=better swing cycle) need less air, produce more cycle amplitude (= volume), are more stable ( do not 'drop in pitch' when played loudly), and are much, much faster. The W-A also has a better reed size/pitch relation (16 different sizes to cover the whole compass) compared to most vintage instruments.

I also use different types of wood in the W-A models. An other big difference is that the Phoenix is made exclusively for Chris Algar.

QUOTE(bill_mchale @ Jan 17 2006, 03:38 PM)

I wonder if the 10 that Guens-Wakker has allocated for 2006 will be enough to meet demand... particularly considering the wait for most other similar instruments.

I (try to) organize our schedule a little different. We make around 35 instruments annually (MIDI, Phoenix and Wakker models) besides all the restorations and repair work. In order to avoid extreme long waiting times, we only accept a certain number of orders for a certain model per year. As far as the W-A anglos are concerned, as soon as we have 10 orders for 2006, the order book for this model is closed, until 2007. We do this with all our models. This means that the person that 'gets in' knows he will receive his instrument within ca. 12 months, and not 'two years after he passed away...'

Normally we have a reserve list for one or two extra instruments, in case we're ahead on schedule. But, since we're planning a 4 week trip on the west coast (US) this year, I don't think we'll have time for an extra instrument.

that Guens-Wakker has allocated

These instruments are not Geuns-Wakker concertinas. The (Harry) Geuns-(Wim) Wakker concertinas have accordion reeds and are different in design. Harry Geuns is considered to be one of the worlds leading bandoneon makers. Besides bandoneons, he also makes a limited number of concertinas with accordion reeds for us (Concertina Connection). In fact, our part (actually Karen's) is limited to the bellows and sales.

Actually, the CC site has been funny on Mac browsers for years - something in the executable code perhaps. Both Paul and I used to experience browser crashes there before OS X came along. That's what we get for being on the dark side of the Force.

Sorry about this... I know our site (FrontPage) causes problems on Macs. This summer I hope to put a new site together.

Wim

Hello Wim

The Wakker Anglo looks lovely.

Will there be sound files of it soon? Maybe one with the radial and and with the Parallel reed pan to compare.

I look forward to hearing and hopefully trying one some day.

Richard

Edited by richard