Amboyna Edeophone #60000, said to have been made for Grock

Stephen Chambers

I now realise that I've (subconsciously) always wanted a concertina like this one, since the night Jim Harvey took me to Alf Edwards' basement flat to hear the Kensington Quartet practicing the classical string-quartet that they went on to win the ICA competition with the following week (I was there!), and one of them had a 12-sided amboyna-wood instrument that Crabb's had made for him.

And now, 50 years later, I have an original Lachenal Edeophone one...

But, not only that, it's said to have intriguing history, and came from a circus family in Denmark, supposedly won in a game of cards (in the late 1940s/early '50s) off the legendary clown Grock (the most highly-paid entertainer in Europe in the 1920s) - who was an Edeophone player. Certainly the de-luxe finish (amboyna-wood and gold-plate), and very special 60,000 serial number, would suggest it was made for a special customer.

Amboyna_Edeophone_LH.jpg

Amboyna_Edeophone_RH.jpg

Edited by Stephen Chambers
Edited for clarification
  • Like 6

On 11/23/2023 at 3:47 PM, SteveS said:

Looks like a baritone-treble he might be playing.

My thought exactly.

Does anyone here know anything about Grock's concertinas?

What appears to be the same instrument is in the Das Neue Museum Biel. Here's a link to a photo of it being held by the curator, Bernadette Walter:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/neues-museum-biels-director-bernadette-walter-shows-clown-news-photo/1258943202?adppopup=true

30 minutes ago, Stephen Chambers said:

What appears to be the same instrument is in the Das Neue Museum Biel. Here's a link to a photo of it being held by the curator, Bernadette Walter:

I hope it gets played occasionally. It's sad to think of them just sitting around, whether on display or in storage. Some collections make sure their instruments, even very old and rare ones, are played occasionally.

28 minutes ago, John Wild said:

Grock The Clown - Stage Performance ("Bühnen-Sketch", 1931) - YouTube

this is a link to a video of Grock

I hope the link words, and that other players enjoy it.

The link works, but it’s the same video that @Stephen DOUGLASS posted yesterday, 7 posts  above this one.

Personally, I’ve lost interest in Grock after reading in the link @Stephen Chambers posted earlier today (4 posts  above this one) about Grock’s relationship with Hitler.

This piece (in German) has more about that:

https://www.nzz.ch/nzzas/nzz-am-sonntag/abgruende-eines-clowns-der-mann-der-hitler-zum-lachen-brachte-ld.1736831

[Depths of a Clown: The Man Who Made Hitler Laugh Grock was the greatest Swiss artist of his time - and a favorite of the Nazis. Now his estate is going to the museum. How should we remember him?]

A concertina-related extract (Google translate):

Raymond Naef allows critical questions. At the same time, it is important to him that his great uncle is remembered as a great artist. In his basement he unpacks a box containing a large bass concertina. This somewhat clumsy instrument comes from England and, unlike the hand organ*, has no preset chords. “Many people could play the violin or saxophone,” says Naef. “But the concertina was Grock’s favorite instrument. He mastered it.” Naef picks up the concertina and plays a little Russian melody. A melody without which Naef would not have acquired the instrument. After the clown's death, Grock's sister Cécile decided that only those who could play the instrument should have the instrument.

* Handorgel

Quote: "After the clown's death, Grock's sister Cécile decided that only those who could play the instrument should have the instrument."

Well, judging how the museum curator is holding the concertina in the Getty photo, it seems likely that Cécile's wishes are no longer being honoured....

Edited by malcolm clapp

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen

Here is the portrait from the book, early 1930s. A few of the elderly concertina players I recorded in Glasgow in the 1980s had find memories of him performing there. I am pleased to note he refers to his Glasgow concerts in his autobiography. I can send the book after I receive an address.

Stuart

IMG_20231207_152342.jpg