26-button queries

Hello guys, I'm hitting the limits of my klingenthaler 20-button anglo and starting to think about a second instrument. As I have a preference for minimalist solutions my gaze has fallen on older 26-button models, rather than the now-standard 30-button offerings. I'm aware of Lachenals in this format and also of Jones, the latter being (I think) the maker of the once-ubiquitous 'Salvation Army' concertina. I *think* the Lachenals are basically 20-button C/Gs with some extra accidentals while the Joneses are F/Bb, but I can't find definitive answers. Can anyone enlighten me on tunings, or point me at other defunct makers? Also, how big are these instruments? My Galotta 803 is starting to seem unwieldy... Best, NP.

I have a 26-Button George Jones A♭/E♭ (Salvation Army), and a 26-Button Lachenal C/G.

Both are excellent.

Both are 6.25 inches across the flats, which is sort of 'standard size for vintage Anglos.

26-buttons is a good compromise if the budget can't stretch to  the Full Monty in the form of a 30-button vintage instrument...

Jeffries made instruments with 26 keys.  I have one in C/G and one in G/D.   Sizes are as Roger has noted above.

They're both great sounding instruments and I play them regularly, although they aren't my absolute favourites as they obviously lack the note reversals in the accidental row and lack the lower buttons (and left thumb) which give such good options for chords

Alex West

17 hours ago, niftyprose said:

Hello guys, I'm hitting the limits of my klingenthaler 20-button anglo and starting to think about a second instrument. As I have a preference for minimalist solutions ....

Interesting.  I started on a 30, then for a while had a 38(?) and now I play as much on my 20b Lachenal or 21b Marcus Traveller as I do on my 30b Dipper.  I too have a preference for minimalist solutions (fixed wheel bike, unicycle, balanced lug dinghy, air cooled motorbike...) and as I have become a more experienced player, I have really enjoyed the challenge of getting more out of 20 buttons.  The 20b Anglo is a very versatile instrument.

That said, there is no doubt that a 30b is even more versatile, whether you play melody only, or harmonic style, or both.

I don't see a particular advantage or disadvantage to having 26 buttons rather than 30.  There are plenty of 30s around.  In real life, some of those buttons seldom or never get used, depending on your repertoire and style of playing, of course.

If I were in your position, wanting to "move up" from a 20, I would be guided by how the instrument feels in the hands and how it sounds rather than being dogmatic about the number of buttons.  Looking specifically for a 24 or 26 may mean that you miss many of the very nice 30b instruments that are out there.

• Like 1

Hello guys, thx for thoughtful replies -- there's a lot of useful info here. I'll bullet my responses.

* I've had a great time on 20b and agree about its versatility, but I want to play Music for a found harmonium with my band and so...

* I take it that a custom 22 or 24b would allow me to spec notes, so my query about tuning is moot. But still interested in the schemas of those vintage 26b instruments

* Flying Duck look great. Good steer!

* Does anyone know the price of a Jay carbon fibre custom? He's pretty close by...

NP

Edited by niftyprose
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello guys, I enjoyed this discussion but never got an answer to my original query, which was: Hey, what are the notes on a 26-button concertina likely to be? A kindly Ebayer who was in the process of selling a 26-button Jones provided me with this keyboard chart, and it turns out to cover my requirements rather nicely. I'd have bought the instrument if I hadn't received a really nice 30-button Marcus for my birthday last month. Hopefully the chart will be of use to someone. Best, NP  

jones_26_key.jpg

Edited by niftyprose
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, niftyprose said:

Hello guys, I enjoyed this discussion but never got an answer to my original query, which was: Hey, what are the notes on a 26-button concertina likely to be? A kindly Ebayer who was in the process of selling a 26-button Jones provided me with this keyboard chart, and it turns out to cover my requirements rather nicely. I'd have bought the instrument if I hadn't received a really nice 30-button Marcus for my birthday last month. Hopefully the chart will be of use to someone. Best, NP  

jones_26_key.jpg

That layout looks pretty good to me. I take that low D on the far left is a bass D?

1 hour ago, Ubizmo said:

I take that low D on the far left is a bass D?

Nope, unfortunately not. It's the same as the D next to it and also the one above it with the middle C.

This comes from the G row just mirroring the C row. On many Lachenals the far left bottom button is a B/D, but it's still not a low bass D. For harmonic style playing, the most useful combination for that button is B/A.

Gary

• Like 1