A DEUT FOR ONE?

I have played Anglo, and am at the moment trying English, but have not tried a Duet concertina. Why would I want too, and if I did, which type should I go for? My main interest is in playing classical music for solo instruments, like Bach violin, cello and flute sonatas, and was wondering if the duet was up to it?

For this sort of music, the Anglo obviously has its limitations, but it is surprising how much I can do. If I could learn fluency on the English, if I could get my head around half the melody being on the left and the other half on the right, that might work. But what about the Duet? So many different button layouts, which should I go for, or do I have to try each in turn to find out?

I  find  the  English  is  ideal  for  solo classical  music   but  if  you  wish  to  try  a Duet  I  would  suggest  looking  for  a MacCann  because  they  are  more plentiful  in  a  range  of  keyboard  sizes.   Usually the  quality  of  a Wheatstone  MacCann  duet is  superb.

However,  recent    developements  have  made  the  Hayden /Wicki   duets  easier to buy....  grab  what  comes  and  give  it  a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin Essery said:

My main interest is in playing classical music for solo instruments, like Bach 

For this sort of music, the Anglo obviously has its limitations,

have a listen to Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne for a masterclass in Baroque music on the Anglo 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

I  find  the  English  is  ideal  for  solo classical  music   but  if  you  wish  to  try  a Duet  I  would  suggest  looking  for  a MacCann  because  they  are  more plentiful  in  a  range  of  keyboard  sizes.   Usually the  quality  of  a Wheatstone  MacCann  duet is  superb.

However,  recent    developements  have  made  the  Hayden /Wicki   duets  easier to buy....  grab  what  comes  and  give  it  a try.

That's what I was afraid of! Looks like I am going to have to accept spending a few years and some amount of cash to find out 😄 I must admit, with only a week of playing the English, it is already feeling a lot more intuitive, although the thumb/little finger grip still seems strange, like I need a wrist strap.

4 hours ago, Theo said:

have a listen to Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne for a masterclass in Baroque music on the Anglo 

Thank you. Yes, Cohen is a great inspiration, but I am coming across music where the anglo just does not have the notes, hence my seeking a solution. I will continue to play the pieces that I can on the Anglo, as I enjoy it, but some pieces are going to need a different instrument.

Considering most orchestral instruments, overall, the Anglo has great potential when compared.  

There are so many effects can be achieved within its compass.

Myself, I also transpose music, where possible, to better fit range, but however I do not have to do that very often, beacuse there's so many choices in note range to use as it is.

I have transcribed a lot over the years; it's how I started learning, by copying, and the classical stuff. Handel.Telemann,Bach etc..

I think it depends upon what suits the individual best; what suits one.individuak. may not be suitable for the other.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
Silly mobile phone text input!
  • Like 1

Everyone will promote their own system I suppose.  I play the Jeffries and dabble in all kinds of music with ease but in general get an instrument with a good low end range.  I can go to a cello low F with my 56 button and a low G ( but not chromatically ) with my 50.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Considering most orchestral instruments, overall, the Anglo has great potential when compared.  

There are so many effects can be achieved within its compass.

Myself, I also transpose music, where possible, to better fit range, but however I do not have to do that very often, beacuse there's so many choices in note range to use as it is.

I have transcribed a lot over the years; it's how I started learning, by copying, and the classical stuff. Handel.Telemann,Bach etc..

I think it depends upon what suits the individual best; what suits one.individuak. may not be suitable for the other.

Yes, much can be done on the Anglo, but some things are not possible on a 30 button, although become more possible in a 40. Bach, in particular, was such a genius, each note having its place and being essential, that, to me, it sounds wrong if I start changing things to fit in. For instance, the Bach Cello Suite 2, Prelude, is possible all the way to the final chords, then there is a top D and an F in the same chord and it sounds just wrong to change anything.

1 hour ago, wunks said:

Everyone will promote their own system I suppose.  I play the Jeffries and dabble in all kinds of music with ease but in general get an instrument with a good low end range.  I can go to a cello low F with my 56 button and a low G ( but not chromatically ) with my 50.

Are you talking about a Jeffries Duet? Yes, for what I intend, the more buttons the better, although to do cello parts at pitch, it would have to go down to C 2 octaves below middle. I suppose my main question is, if I got a duet to try out, which type should I go for, or do I project that I am going to have to buy one of each at some time to try them all out?

2 hours ago, Martin Essery said:

Are you talking about a Jeffries Duet? Yes, for what I intend, the more buttons the better, although to do cello parts at pitch, it would have to go down to C 2 octaves below middle. I suppose my main question is, if I got a duet to try out, which type should I go for, or do I project that I am going to have to buy one of each at some time to try them all out?

Jeffries duet, yes.  I think you can narrow things down a lot by googling the various button patterns and playing { "air-'tina"  ) in your head and reading what others consider advantages of their systems.  For instance, the fan shaped pattern of the Jeffries is very close to that of an Anglo making a switch perhaps easier.  

• Like 1

My baritone Anglo goes to cello C, two octaves below middle c, but then the bottom octave is diatonic apart from the Bb. With Anglos and Duets you can't have everything, or you'd end up with a beast the size of a Chemnitzer. If you want to play solo classical music that is basically in one or two parts, with the odd bit of double-stopping, surely the English is the best way to go? I think the limitation with the English is that with more than two parts, it gets pretty unmanageable fingering wise, but I am prepared to have my head blown off here:-) Because all the notes are there if you want to play a Bach fugue on one of the larger sizes?

Adrian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adrian brown said:

My baritone Anglo goes to cello C, two octaves below middle c, but then the bottom octave is diatonic apart from the Bb. With Anglos and Duets you can't have everything, or you'd end up with a beast the size of a Chemnitzer. If you want to play solo classical music that is basically in one or two parts, with the odd bit of double-stopping, surely the English is the best way to go? I think the limitation with the English is that with more than two parts, it gets pretty unmanageable fingering wise, but I am prepared to have my head blown off here:-) Because all the notes are there if you want to play a Bach fugue on one of the larger sizes?

Adrian

With a duet going bi-sonoric, especially with a couple of bass notes is an option.  Another ( although tedious ) is to have spare reed/shoes.  Swapping in a low Eb for instance, gives me all the notes for the Sarabande from Bach's cello suite #4 in Eb major.

Edited by wunks
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 1:54 PM, Martin Essery said:

Depending exactly where you are, I suggest you join the WCCP and get along to the Quantock Lodge weekend in late September (booking open to members now). I think there is a formal "try a different system" session, and there will certainly be loads of examples of every system with owners happy to show them off. And Barleycorn to sell them to you.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 8:37 PM, Martin Essery said:

That's what I was afraid of! Looks like I am going to have to accept spending a few years and some amount of cash to find out 😄 I must admit, with only a week of playing the English, it is already feeling a lot more intuitive, although the thumb/little finger grip still seems strange, like I need a wrist strap.

I had wrist straps added to my English and they helped reduce strain on the hands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barbara V said:

I had wrist straps added to my English and they helped reduce strain on the hands.

I would say all larger (i.e. heavier) instruments need wrist straps. Lightweight trebles or piccolos may not need them.

I write as one who is encountering carpal tunnel for the first time after over 40 years of playing.

• Like 1

Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered a Wheatstone Aeola 81 key McCann. At least I won't be wanting for notes! I can try the system, if I do not like or feel a smaller instrument would suffice, I can trade in. Will let you know how I get on 🙂

• Like 2