Anyone with a 7mount in Germany?

I'm thinking about buying a new anglo concertina... I play a Connor. One of the ones he made with/for Barleycorn concertinas with salvadged parts of old instruments. I have no idea if mine is a good/ excellent/ mediocre instrument and how far I am from being restrained by what it can do (as opposed to what I can and can't do). 

I'd love to be able to try one! Is there anyone in Germany who'd let me try their instrument? I'm in the very east so Poland and Czech Republic would be good too. Or anywhere between Dresden and Shetland, since I'll be going there in autumn...

7mount is the brand name for concertinas built by Ralf Schlimm within view of the Siebengebirge that Peter mentioned. The 7mount Website shows the panorama of the Seven Mountains. The view is familiar to me - it can be seen from my brother-in-law's back garden on the southern outskirts of Bonn!

If you've got a moment for a bit of legend ...

It is said that the seven giants who dug out the Rhine Gorge knocked the dirt from their spades when they completed their job on reaching the North German Plain. This resulted in the Seven Mountains.

Much later, the area entered literary folklore when the Brothers Grimm wrote down the story of Schneewittchen (Snow-white). When the magic mirror revealed to the wicked queen that Snow-white was still alive and prettier than she was, it said, "Hinter den sieben Bergen, bei den sieben Zwergen ..." (Behind the seven mountains, with the seven dwarves ...). And sure enough: the village where my parents-in-law lived is in the middle of the Seven Mountains, and the nickname for the local inhabitants, in the regional dialect, is "Ledderköpp" (Leather-heads) - indicating the head-gear formerly worn by miners, which has evolved into the present-day dwarves' pointed cap. And miners in the olden days tended to be smaller than most people. 

If the 7mount concertinas are as fantastic as the area they are named after, they should be pretty good!

Cheers,

John

On 6/21/2023 at 7:43 AM, Irina said:

I have no idea if mine is a good/ excellent/ mediocre instrument

By the way, I too own Connor with salvaged Lachenal reeds. It is not so fast/responsive but bellows and mechanisms are reliable. And I like the mellow tone of typical Lachenal, so overall I like mine.

2 hours ago, Clive Thorne said:

For the knitting "festival"?

No. But for the sheep! And the music! I think our visit will coincide with the knitting thing so I expect lots of ladies from all over the world knitting in bars - in time to the session tunes. 

5 hours ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

7mount is the brand name for concertinas built by Ralf Schlimm within view of the Siebengebirge that Peter mentioned.

But the website says, "due to the high demand of 7Mount Concertinas and the growing waiting list, I’m currently taking no new orders. "  I think the website has said that for quite some time.

10 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

I do not have one of those, so cannot offer one to try, but I do have Anglos of several other makes, which Irina (or anyone passing through London) is welcome to try.

Same for me if anyone's passing by North Ayshire/Glasgow.  I do know of someone with a 7 mount (GD I think) not too far away from me

Alex West

On 6/22/2023 at 6:18 PM, Irina said:

ladies from all over the world knitting in bars - in time to the session tunes. 

Hmm! You'd have to play pretty fast to keep in time with a Shetland woman knitting! Maybe they have "slow sessions" for non-Shetlandic knitters 😉

On 6/23/2023 at 7:15 PM, Anglo-Irishman said:

Hmm! You'd have to play pretty fast to keep in time with a Shetland woman knitting! Maybe they have "slow sessions" for non-Shetlandic knitters 😉

No chance I'll ever be able to play concertina at the speed of a Shetland knitter! Or a Shetland fiddler! But reminds me: It was a session in Shetland where one woman was learning to knit. Thinking hard about every move and ever so slowly getting her stitches done. It's really strange to do something 'in a rhythm' when someone else does something in a different ryrhm! 

Could be interesting to see if knitters at a session fall into the groove! Shetland knitter's at double time and most visitors at half speed... 

I'd also love to know if my preferred speed on concertina is set by what my instrument can do. I played flute before and with a half decent Instrument it's the speed of fingers and personal taste that set the tempo. No mechanics involved.

But then: even as a listener I think I like (Irish) tunes on concertina better at a slower pace than on flute or pipes. 

• 1 month later...