How can I? Newbie question.

11 minutes ago, Corbin Collins said:

Doers Button Box still rent them out? You could rent a Rochelle, a Jackie, and what the heck, an Elise (I play Hayden). If you’re serious about taking it up, that would be a good use of money imo.

Sadly the Button Box closed - only their repair department remains open, so the rentals from them are no more.

11 minutes ago, Jillser Nic Amhlaoibh said:

Sadly the Button Box closed - only their repair department remains open, so the rentals from them are no more.

Ah… alas. Thank you. Maybe Concertina Connection itself could start up such a program. Send out their “scratch and dent” products. People really don’t know what they would want, and there’s no realistic way to try different types for the vast majority of folks. I suspect it would turn into sales.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wunks said:

I'm not a technologically savvy person but weren't there a couple of threads about experimenting with button patterns on paper which evolved into electronic equivalents and if not, why not?

There are @eskin’s concertina apps, but I don’t know if that will help @NickieLeah with her problem. There’s a big difference between having an app in your hands to decide, as a concertina player, if you like a particular button layout and having a concertina in your hands for the first time to decide if you want a concertina.

• Like 4

English vs Anglo.. kind of depends on what kind of music you want to do.

as you are unlikely to find one to check out new locally in a store. I would probably suggest getting a Rochelle or jack from concertina connection on line.

try it and if you don’t like it sell here or on Craig’s with not too bad of a hit.

better to just take the plunge and see what happens. You could wait a very long time to see one turn up in person.

• Like 2

A lot of good advice has already been given. The most important comment is that the type of concertina that works for the player is very player-dependent. But under your current situation, it seems unlikely that you are going to be able to hold and try one and find out what works best for you. Therefore, the two things about your quest that seem germane are:

1. Since you can't find other concertina players in your area, you are going to have to teach yourself. With your musical background, this should not be a big barrier. There are some excellent instruction manuals and also various instructional videos on the Internet.

2. You want to play and/or accompany singing Irish music. While some of the best musicians/singers in this genre have played the English concertina, the Anglo seems a better fit culturally (i.e., that's what people expect). (Note that this advice comes from an English player who couldn't imagine himself playing an Anglo.)

Since it looks like you're going to have to take the plunge and buy an instrument without trying, I'd suggest buying a good quality 20-button (as the least expensive but adequate) concertina from a reputable source. (I bought my current main squeeze from Greg Jowaisas, who is a member of this forum.) If the Anglo doesn't work for you, it should be sellable. If it does work, you might want to upgrade to more buttons, but that's another issue.

Finding a recommended seller applies to whatever system you decide to buy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Franch said:

Since it looks like you're going to have to take the plunge and buy an instrument without trying, I'd suggest buying a good quality 20-button (as the least expensive but adequate) concertina from a reputable source. (I bought my current main squeeze from Greg Jowaisas, who is a member of this forum.) If the Anglo doesn't work for you, it should be sellable. If it does work, you might want to upgrade to more buttons, but that's another issue.

Finding a recommended seller applies to whatever system you decide to buy.

I would agree with all of the above.. except this. Full disclosure. I am a completely failed Anglo player.

that said. IN my limited experience.. even at the beginner level, I think opting for a 20 button rather than a 30 is a mistake. the lack of chromatic and scale options, as well as resale make it really limited imo.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I just found the Concertina Connection website. I might give them a go, as at least two folks here have recommended them. I will keep you posted.

I should be able to teach myself, YouTube has many tutorials. i pretty much taught myself to play ukulele to the intermediate level.