Feline friends of the concertina

Anyone else have a cat that loves the concertina? He could be fast asleep across the house, the moment I start to play he comes to find me. Granted, it might be because he knows I won’t be going anywhere for a while & am likely to give him lots of love, but still very easily the number one fan of all my sessions. How do your animal friends feel about the concertina? B210FCFB-AC4F-4496-BA6F-D9C7CFA3DD40.thumb.jpeg.7c9c36939969462a21d5bf8890071e97.jpeg

I  used to  have a  cat  that  would  climb  onto my  lap  to  sit  behind  the  concertina  as I  played,  she  would  also  try  to look into  the  ends,  I  assume  she  was  waiting  for  the  squeeking mouse to  come out.I  could  never  tell  if  she liked  the sounds  or not.

My  dog  used to  howl and  sing  with  the  Concertina  ,  never minded  the  Accordéon  but  really  hated  my  attempts  at  playing  the  Hurdy Gurdy.  She  would  try  to  stop  my  hand  rotating  the  handle...  but  all this  has  probably  contributed  to a  degree of  deafness  and  no  attempts  at  escape  on her part  occur  unless  we have band practice  in the  kitchen.

1 hour ago, Clive Thorne said:

All our three cats ar the opposite. They're out of the room as soon as I draw air into the bellows. What does that say about my playing??

That describes the situation for every other living being in my home, the cat is definitely the exception, haha

2 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

I  used to  have a  cat  that  would  climb  onto my  lap  to  sit  behind  the  concertina  as I  played,  she  would  also  try  to look into  the  ends,  I  assume  she  was  waiting  for  the  squeeking mouse to  come out.I  could  never  tell  if  she liked  the sounds  or not.

My  dog  used to  howl and  sing  with  the  Concertina  ,  never minded  the  Accordéon  but  really  hated  my  attempts  at  playing  the  Hurdy Gurdy.  She  would  try  to  stop  my  hand  rotating  the  handle...  but  all this  has  probably  contributed  to a  degree of  deafness  and  no  attempts  at  escape  on her part  occur  unless  we have band practice  in the  kitchen.

The hurdy gurdy is definitely an acquired taste! My pup will occasionally howl along with the concertina, but not in a satisfied way (more of a “please let me out of this house” kind of way)

I've never had animals that interacted with the concertina, but my grandparents' cat has learnt to recognise the sound of the electric organ, and she will jump up on the stool while I'm playing and generally get in the way. My guinea pigs also seemed to enjoy going to sleep to the sound of my wheezy, out-of-tune melodeon, which was definitely surprising!

My cat also likes music. When I start playing, he jumps on my lap and rubs himself against the concertina. When I play harmonica he rubs his nose against the back of the harmonica, as if he is helping to play.

My sister has a cat that attacks her when she plays on the old peddle organ.

I have wondered, do they really like the music, or does the sound irritate their ears?

9 hours ago, Fanie said:

My cat also likes music. When I start playing, he jumps on my lap and rubs himself against the concertina. When I play harmonica he rubs his nose against the back of the harmonica, as if he is helping to play.

My sister has a cat that attacks her when she plays on the old peddle organ.

I have wondered, do they really like the music, or does the sound irritate their ears?

I’ve often wondered that too, but he’s an indoor/outdoor cat so I assume he’d leave if it bothered him too much. He certainly seems to like it! 

683F0DD4-0840-4631-8D9F-99E7D8D82C08.jpeg

Not a cat, not a concertina, but...

My family had a dog when I was growing up. I played several instruments even then, but not yet the concertina. I always wondered what the dog thought of my playing. He seemed perfectly unaffected by it, one way or the other. One of my instruments was the classical guitar. I was learning the first Villa Lobos Prelude in E minor. It has a very characteristic and memorable beginning: a single note upbeat starting on a low B and sliding up 5 frets to the downbeat E before an E minor chord sounds off the beat. When I left for college I called home once a week and one day my mother told me that the piece was played on the radio and the dog perked up and started looking for me.

• Like 2

Ha ha that's kind of cheating gypsea...that's a norwegian cat which are super cuddly and affectionate 😉

With my previous cat, claws where sharper than ever 🙂 I had to change room or lock him outside...

On 7/12/2022 at 4:31 PM, papawemba said:

Ha ha that's kind of cheating gypsea...that's a norwegian cat which are super cuddly and affectionate 😉

With my previous cat, claws where sharper than ever 🙂 I had to change room or lock him outside...

I’m actually not sure on breed, got him from the pound when he was just a wee lad. But you’re not the first to suggest Norwegian forest cat, it’s possible! He is super affectionate, but not generally very snuggly. The only time he tends to get on my lap is when I’m playing 

• Like 1