The Concertina Bug

otsaku

Why do I find myself constantly returning to retail sites and drooling at the sight of new and vintage concertinas?

I was wondering how long it took the rest of you to get the bug and start wondering if you could afford a sexy little used lachenal and planning a new shelf to put it on...

With the tin whistle it was a question of how the instruments sounded that drove me to constantly buy a new one -

I've not even had my jackie a month and I'm drifting off into daydreams involving wheatstones, lachenals and even jeffries duets.

Is there a cure? If there is, donations to my de-tox fund are welcome :P

I was wondering how long it took the rest of you to get the bug and start wondering if you could afford a sexy little used lachenal and planning a new shelf to put it on...

Oh, minutes after buying my first Stagi :D Welcome to our world. This way lies financial ruin. :D

(Actually, the worst of it is that I've now set my guitarist friend I play with in our duo on the same path; he's now playing the Stagi anglo I learned on... and is already spotting its inadequacies... I suspect I'll get a rather miffed phone-call from his wife when he "happens" to come home one day with a Norman, Marcus or Lachenal... :lol: )

she partially financed the jackie........ :D

But do you think you can persuade her to do the same with your next concertina whatever that will be?

When I bought the Jeffries, my wife was definitely not impressed and couldn't seem to see that it was one of the most beautiful creations on the planet. She struggled to speak to me for a week or so but came round when the Lachenal was sold for a fair bit more than it cost me. She is now coming around to seeing that a good concertina is more than a purchase and that it is a genuine investment (daren't tell her that I'd rather sell her mother than part with the Jeffries).

Pete

Wives just seem to lack a certain perspective about the important things in life...like the acquisition of concertinas!

Oh course, my partner Anne not only has 5 (count them, 5) concertinas of her own, she has a hammered dulcimer and a fiddle and recently started twiddling with my melodeon. On one hand it does mean that I don't usually encounter problems when I want to buy something, but on the other we're beginning to be crowded out by our musical instruments. :unsure:

Of course, I am aware that there are people in this group who would be happy to help us through our problems by relieving us at least of the concertinas. I thank you in advance for your consideration and good wishes, but wish to state that we are going to have to fight our way through this on our own. ;)

Chris

Of course, I am aware that there are people in this group who would be happy to help us through our problems by relieving us at least of the concertinas. I thank you in advance for your consideration and good wishes, but wish to state that we are going to have to fight our way through this on our own.  ;)

"Refusing offers of outside help"

Isn't that #1 in the 12-Backstep Program for addiction enhancement? B)

Fortunately my husband and my concertina are totally compatiable. (After all, he was the one that found the shop in Cork that had a Norman tucked away in the back room, and convinced me to go in and ask :)

But then I did set him on the path to his dream of playing saxophone... so I think we're even :)

And no. There is no cure. Learn to love and embrace your ailment, so there likes the road to happiness :)

Cheers,

Morgana

My partner is very happy for me to play the concertina in the same room as him while he watches football on telly, or plays a video game. This seems a very suitable and companionable arrangement to me!

And tonight we are going to have three friends round for the first rehearsal of the Brass Monkeys quintet - I hope the living room's big enough!

Samantha

You have mentioned monkeys, and brass monkeys at that! My interest is now officially piqued. Please tell me this is the name of a band you are involved with?

What a riot.

I'm a bit embarassed, but I have to ask...Do folks in the UK have the same saying about Brass Monkeys and very cold weather? :unsure:

You have mentioned monkeys, and brass monkeys at that!  My interest is now officially piqued.  Please tell me this is the name of a band you are involved with?

What a riot. 

I'm a bit embarassed, but I have to ask...Do folks in the UK have the same saying about Brass Monkeys and very cold weather? :unsure:

We are called Brass Monkeys because our first gig was playing carols outside the local pub late in December last year.

I had no idea we were stepping on John Kirkpatrick's toes, but we do not have a concertina in our band, just two trumpets, a french horn, a trombone and a tuba (though, of course, my Bb/F Jeffries would fit right in!)

Samantha

PS the rehearsal went really well and we're all dead chuffed (= "well pleased"). :D

I was in a similar group (which we unimaginatively called a brass quintet) when I lived primarily in the state of Indiana (for ten years). Miss that; the best I've done since is a horn ensemble (hexadectet!).