Aid To Removing Concertina From A Hexagonal Case

Concertinas in their original hexagonal cases are very tight fitting. Even when the instrument is inserted correctly, it is difficult to remove. I don't know if I've reinvented the wheel, but the solution for me was to add a ribbon that would lift the concertina from the case. I bought the ribbon / tape at a fabric store and sewed loops on the ends. See the photos below.

Great idea.

I've seen more than one concertina end up with split and wrecked bellows by being forced from the case - especially when the thumbstrap securing screw isn't lined up with the slot in the case.

Pouring it out didn't work so well; that's why I came up with the ribbon. On top of that, I've also inserted it with the wrong end going in first and it was stuck pretty tight. It's been awhile since that episode, but I think I "shook" it out. The instrument is inserted where the thumb screws have made a slot in the lining.

One of my concertinas* has a box with a groove in the lining for the thumb screw. Insert it the right way round and you're laughing. Insert it any of the other five ways and it can take quite some time getting it out again - not so much "tip and pour out" as "hold upside down and shake".

*One of the two, to be precise! I've got an EC** and a Maccann Duet, only one of which I can play. Yet.

**With a wobbly pad/sticky key problem, as featured elsethread.

Edited by PhilEdwards

Yes, keeping the instrument out of it's box (and leaving it out in your way) will ensure you pick it up and play it much more!

But when you do need a case, there are other threads on cnet about better cases - highly recommended. From expensive high-tech camera cases to cheap padded 6-pack coolers, all are preferable to those horrible original hexagonal boxes with lids.

Gary

Edited by gcoover

Perhaps you should think about what is best for the instrument, hexagonal cases are not good, over the years a steady and on going proportion of work I get can be directly related to hexagonal cases and instruments being dragged out of them, or from valve damage as a result of the box being stood upright with the concertina in it.

My advice, is to scrap the hexagonal box, and get a good square box that holds the concertina horizontal, then block out the box to ensure that the bellows are held firmly shut. Gig bags are OK for travelling with, but just do not hold the bellows firmly enough for long term 'residential' storage. If you leave the instrument uncased or bellows relaxed then you will eventually suffer for it in phrasing in play

Dave E

Edited by d.elliott

Old hexagonal boxes make good pot planters, or so I'm told by the person who buys them from me for a good price whenever I have one for sale at the car boot where I occasionally take a stall.

Edited to add: No, not that sort of "pot"....

Edited by malcolm clapp

"Hexagonal cases are not good..."

d.elliott, could this be because your avatar shows an octagonal box? lol

Makes me smile right now - thank you for the amusement!

What a funny imagination, trying to put an Aealo into one of these hex boxes... :)