Concertinists: Are We Stuck In Ruts?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the discussion on this topic quite interesting, but the wingeing topic itself, rather depressing. Personally, I'm not stuck in any rut but rather enjoying pushing the envelope of making my Anglo concertina sound right with all the styles and musics I'm working on: Old-time southern fiddle tunes, blues songs, college fraternity and sorority songs from the '50's, tin pan alley and American song book standards, Irish and English session tunes, humorous novelty songs from way back, early country classics from Jimmie Rogers and the Delmore Brothers etc., Playford dance tunes from the 16-18 hundreds, New England contra dance tunes, Scottish pipe tunes, Northumbrian pipe tunes, Quebecois, Shetland, Breton, Basque, Oz, Morris and Sword tunes, Beatles, Dylan and Neil Young... blah, blah, blah, on and on. It's all grist for the mill.

Sure, the concertina in all it's permutations is a rare thing these days but isn't that what attracted you to it in the first place? Sure, concertinas have more limitations than most other band-in-a-box instruments like the piano for instance, but out of those limitations comes the possibility of artistry and a very direct connection to the players body, especially in the area where the concertina excels, dynamic expressiveness. In addition to that, concertinas have a great capacity for harmonic simplicity. It's not a PA or melodeon and has a distinct sound all it's own because there are no chord buttons. You have to make your own harmony... and if you don't play with harmony, come take lessons with me on your Anglo... you are missing out on more than half the fun. Really.

So let's get on with it and play. Play better than you did before and explore and practice and listen and get together with other musicians to make great music right now. Do it today!

There now. I feel better already. Rant over.

If you want to hear what I'm talking about, buy my most recent CD, "Sing to Me Concertina Boy" where you will hear lots of fun songs in a variety of styles and even better than that, my instrumental collaboration with one of the worlds best hammered dulcimer players, Bill Ruyle. http://jodykruskal.com/buy_stuff.html

This recording is not available on streaming sites like Spotify. Mp3 download and physical product only. It's a lovingly crafted full CD of concertina songs and tunes, ranging from the ridiculous to the sublime... vintage crooning of some very old popular songs from the late 18th through the mid 20th centuries. These songs share a quirky and charming nostalgia that includes traditional folk, variety, music hall, 2nd Avenue and Hawaiian hapa haole gems. This unexpected mix of amusing songs and tunes is guaranteed to raise a smile and make you want to sing along.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Yes Jody. Be adventurous. If, like me, you play entirely by ear, never think of a tune or style of music as unsuitable for an Anglo until you have given it a go. Leave it to the instrument to decide whether what you are attempting to achieve is a practicable proposition. That's what I do.

yes, and definitely---rather than disagree with opinions on this thread by giving your own and leaving it at that, actually castigate and scold people who have posted opinions you don't agree with, and order them to stop whining and go play their instruments. then, follow that with an advertisement for a product you are selling.

Edited by ceemonster

yes, and definitely---rather than disagree with opinions on this thread by giving your own and leaving it at that, actually castigate and scold people who have posted opinions you don't agree with, and order them to stop whining and go play their instruments. then, follow that with an advertisement for a product you are selling.

I've known Jody for ages. I believe you've seriously misunderstood the intent of his posts.

Besides, the only person he seems to be disagreeing with is the original poster. The majority of the responses to the question in the title have been a resounding "no!"

As for his mention of his CD, why should he suppress evidence simply because he's involved? He's certainly made full disclosure of his own interest.

it was just a tad more than a "mention," and if any "evidence" was "suppressed" it was the ample "evidence" of this poster's [interesting and cool] musical explorations which is viewable and listenable out there without a purchase and helpful hints as to how to put through the transaction, following on the heels of finger-shaking for the opinion or opinions occasioning this discussion.

Edited by ceemonster

Hmmm... ceemonster, why be such a monster? I don't see a problem with my posts, and I fully stand behind them. My comments are in reply to Jim's posts about being stuck in a rut. I am defiantly not stuck anywhere and I am trying to explain that situation as a working musician. If you don't like my replies, don't read them. If you think my music is "interesting and cool" then buy it!

For the cost of a few cups of coffee you could own an actual CD for your pleasure for years. Do you have any idea what it costs me to produce these things? Lots of time and treasure. Lots! Sure, I put some of my stuff up on my web site and other places for free (or almost free, like spotify) and you are welcome to enjoy it, but it all costs me extensive time and trouble, difficult decisions, fees paid to others and bringing my artistic vision to my various projects with the integrity of my name behind it, free or not.

Listen, I love what I do on the Anglo and I think it's unique and valuable. No one promotes me, but me, and there are darn few venues like C.net where I can do that, especially where folks might understand what I'm up to. So, I will continue to write, teach, produce, record, publish and promote my music, regardless of your snarky comments.

Thanks Jim, for your support.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Jody, don't let it get to you. You are a valued member here and provide a lot of useful insights as well as great tunes and stories! As someone who has met and played with you (Marlboro, circa 2000) I have a lot of respect for your musicianship and enthusiasm. And it was your advice that moved me towards the G/D, which I have never regretted.

Ceemonster, welcome to my block list - never thought I'd need it here.

Edited by Marc G. Lamb

Jody, just keep on doing what you're doing: finding all sorts of ways to make the "normal anglo stuff" fresh and joyful; exploring new genres many of us would never think of as "anglo stuff"; having obvious fun while you do both of these; and sharing it all with us in ways that please the public, inspire other concertina players, and enable you to live a decent life since for you music is a full-time job. Nothing wrong with promoting your ideas *and* your work here.

I sure didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest here...

To reiterate: I was curious about my perception that there is more innovation and exploration among young melodeon players, especially in Europe, than among concertinists.

Some thoughtful replies led me to conclude that the perception was far from the whole picture.

There is plenty of genre-bending playing among concertinists - Jody Kruskal's and John Kirkpatrick's playing being prime examples. And the playing of many c.netters.

What does appear to be true: melodeons are commonly used in more types of music in today's world, and innovative players who are pushing the boundaries of those different traditions create the impression of a more fertile environment for musical innovation. And there's a lot of cross pollination going on.

There are very active Basque, central European, Scandanavian, Italian, English, Irish, Tex-Mex, etc. melodeon scenes, each with significant numbers of players. Concertinas seem concentrated in the English and Irish genres, with small outposts in jazz, classical, South African, etc.

I think there's a lot of really cool stuff being done on concertina. I have all Jody's and John K's CDs and learn something new from them all the time. Maybe it's just as concertinists, we are drawing from a narrower musical base to start with. All the more reason to appreciate the creative innovators in our ranks!

Ceemonster, welcome to my block list - never thought I'd need it here.

Given my perfect appreciation for Jody's music and work I still can't see adequate reason for such an announcement in public.

I can't see adequate reason for the personal attack on Jody. My comment was directed specifically at the individual responsible for it. If you or anyone else that it wasn't directed at were offended, I apologize.

[i can't see adequate reason for the personal attack on Jody.]

there was no personal attack. a person came onto this thread well into the discussion and issued a scolding, which was followed by an advertisement for a product purchase. i took issue with that, and there was not one personal word in either of my posts taking issue with it. my language was substantially less "personal" quote-unquote, than the scolding (which i actually did not find "personal"). you have a right to like who you like (and i like this person's musical adventures as well), but you are off the mark with that one.

Edited by ceemonster