Source for premade bellows

RWL

Are there generic 5 fold bellows available anywhere for a Lachenal EC? My bellows might repond well to patching, but if it doesn't I was wondering about where to buy a bellows and how much they cost.

While the focus of this thread may be toward more modest bellows, I'd like to recommend someone who can make top quality bellows -- including papers and embossing. Greg Jowaisas has just finished a high end concertina for me and, included in the full restoration of the rest of the instrument, he made me an outstanding new bellows. People (myself included) have talked up Greg on this forum for quality concertina tuning and repairs, but he also makes some of the finest bellows available. Check out these photos from this Jeffries he just delivered to me at the Midwest NHICS.

Ross Schlabach

post-64-0-25598800-1346856137_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-32871500-1346856118_thumb.jpg

Looks simply beautifull Ross,

if it feels as good as it looks then you are onto a winner. As well as everything else about a concertina, the functionality of the bellows, its feel and movement all make soooo much difference.

I have one Concertina with a new Bellows.. perhaps one of the only 'new bellows' instruments I have had in 40 years of playing... it is just so nice to use ... made by Concertina Connection.

I have one Concertina with a new Bellows.. perhaps one of the only 'new bellows' instruments I have had in 40 years of playing... it is just so nice to use ... made by Concertina Connection.

I also got a new bellows for my Stagi Anglo from Concertina Connection. The instrument now plays twice as well as before, with out the slop and wobble of the original bellows, and the tone has become more powerful.

RWL, note that these are not generic replacement bellows. They are hand-made to fit your concertina. You send in the old bellows, CC strips the leather off the bellows frames and builds the new bellows on them, so everything fits together perfectly afterwards.

I assume other bellows suppliers do it similarly.

Cheers,

John

That is not the best way to have bellows redone IMHO. It is better to send the entire instrument to the bellows maker. That way he/she can check the fit and make sure that the bellows fitting doesn't mis-align the end mounting holes by distorting the frames. And, they can Custom fit the chamois and adjust the corner blocks as necessary for an airtight fit of the reed pans.

Ross Schlabach

Ross,

You rarely need to replace the chamois gaskets as part of the bellows replacement, and thus the blocks are fine. No need to send the whole concertina, distortion in not a problem, not one I have ever met. Alignment is no problem either, bellows frames were stamped on manufacture to aid orientation.

Dave E

While the focus of this thread may be toward more modest bellows, I'd like to recommend someone who can make top quality bellows -- including papers and embossing. Greg Jowaisas has just finished a high end concertina for me and, included in the full restoration of the rest of the instrument, he made me an outstanding new bellows. People (myself included) have talked up Greg on this forum for quality concertina tuning and repairs, but he also makes some of the finest bellows available. Check out these photos from this Jeffries he just delivered to me at the Midwest NHICS.

I have Greg Jowaisas bellows on two vintage concertinas; they are about the best I've ever laid hands on. Pretty, too. In one case he replaced a Dipper bellows that just didn't stand up to robust Morris playing; the instrument plays better than it ever did.

Edited by Jim Besser

I have Greg Jowaisas bellows on two vintage concertinas; they are about the best I've ever laid hands on. Pretty, too. In one case he replaced a Dipper bellows that just didn't stand up to robust Morris playing; the instrument plays better than it ever did.

To be fair, Jim's "energetic" playing will challenge any bellows. We will see how mine hold up.

I want to take a moment to gratefully acknowledge Wally Carroll who taught me how to make bellows and shared some of his innovations with me. I was, and continue to be, very fortunate to be associated with Carroll Concertinas and to witness Wally's efforts from basement to modern manufacturing facility. The "bellows belles" at Carroll Concertinas, Jeni and Simone, have also been generous in sharing their technique refinements and inspiring me to keep improving my product. Thanks to them and all of you on concertina.net who have shown and voiced encouragement and support. (Special thanks to Ross, who trusted me with his latest Jeffries project)

Greg