Are you a musician?

Am I a musician

I only know one tune well enough to play in the pub.

Sunday afternoon I played this tune.

Later on someone came up to me and said would you like a drink, I said, pardon,

he said all the musicians get a free drink.

So I guess I must be a musician.

and I'm off for my free drink next time !!

Roger

biggrin.gif That's as good a way of finding out you're a musician as any, which tune was it ? ( I'll see if it has the same effect for me biggrin.gif )

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, anlej, the tune was Beannan Mor, by Joe Morrison, its on You Tube.

I think its a good tune for a beginner,

no sharps or flats,

single notes,

fairly slow,

covers, from G below middle C, to C above middle C

It has what I think, are definate phrases of music, so when you lose it, you just start from the next phrase,

and hopefully the audiance don't notice, well I,ve messed it up and still had compliments.

The main thing is that its a lovely tune, and Basil, my concertina just loves playing it, and sometimes he gets it right, all the way through.

Roger

PS I am trying to learn other tunes

...I think Chris and Mike have put their fingers on it. It's about music being so important to you that you have the urge to create music yourself...

I think that it's a question about whether it's something you do or something you are. If it's something you do - you play an instrument, if it's something you are - you're a musician.

I've always had music in my life & sung or played something from as long as I can remember. When I feel sorrow & loss one of the things I use to get through it is playing music. It's hard coded into my DNA. I am a musician. But that doesn't mean that I'm any good at it from anybody else's perspective - that's about being a performer & I'm not really one of those.

I am a Dancer no doubt about that and I am now working on Step Dancing if my back will allow it.

Dirge "Your a Musician" !!

I have never thought of myself as a musician as I know very little about theory, chord progressions, chord construction etc. I do it all by ear ,if it sounds right then it is OK. I am also never happy with the way I play and I am always trying to improve it, so therefore never assume I have mastered the art and would never make the claim of being a musician, only an advanced student , still learning the art of musicianship.

I admire you Chris for almost getting there. A close relative and friends that have had a stroke , have made initial progress and for some reason, I have never worked out, lapse back to how they were after the stroke and then sadly give up altogether.

You have stuck with it Chris, fought it and overcome your difficulties. Congratulations and well done.A Musician with distinction.

Al

I have never thought of myself as a musician as I know very little about theory, chord progressions, chord construction etc. I do it all by ear ,if it sounds right then it is OK. I am also never happy with the way I play and I am always trying to improve it, so therefore never assume I have mastered the art and would never make the claim of being a musician, only an advanced student , still learning the art of musicianship.

But for me 'being a musician' is not about whether you've got a formal knowledge of 'theory, chord progressions, etc.', but (as others have already said) whether it's something you want to do and in many cases and times feel it's something you have to do. It's something that's part of your self-identity, and a vital component of the way you interact with the world around you.

I have to have played something - even if it's just a couple of minutes - or else it's a day that isn't complete, somehow or other, regardless of whatever else has happened that day; and I know a fair few other people who feel the same way.

But it is also partly about affirmation by others, a status or nomenclature conferred by your peers - and in that spirit: I've heard and seen you play, Alan, and you're a musician alright!

I'd say you are too Alan!

Ive just been reading a book on music and musicians in Crete by an English Ethnomusicologist Kevin Dawe(2007) how about this from p11.

The Musician and Society

"In reality, even in social formations where.. the making explicit and objectifying of the generative schemes in a grammar of practices, a written code of conduct, is minimal, it is nonetheless possible to observe the first signs of a differentiation of the domains of practice according to the degree of the codification of the principles governing them (Bourdieu, 1977)

He then goes on to discuss musicians as going on against the odds and taking on a role that embodies a range of extra-musical values , duties and obligations. etc

I understood that , but not Bordieu: :huh:

Edited by michael sam wild

"In reality, even in social formations where.. the making explicit and objectifying of the generative schemes in a grammar of practices, a written code of conduct, is minimal, it is nonetheless possible to observe the first signs of a differentiation of the domains of practice according to the degree of the codification of the principles governing them."

My, he knows a lot of big words!

If I understand Bourdieu's comment, which is far from certain, he seems to be saying,

"Even without an academic theory or a huge book of rules, folks will notice differences."

Guest HallelujahAl!

There's no such thing as a musician - either that, or we all are. As most of the human race have the ability to make (even if it's just to sing, hum or whistle) and appreciate music you can argue it either way. BTW I think we should lay off bodhran players - they don't need the hassle ;)

I'm responsible for making a lot of music - and I keep getting invited back - I think it's out of pity. But that doesn't necessarily make me a musician.

So am I a musician - no, probably not.

Do I make music - yes, sometimes.

Al

Hi, anlej, the tune was Beannan Mor, by Joe Morrison, its on You Tube.

I think its a good tune for a beginner,

no sharps or flats,

single notes,

fairly slow,

covers, from G below middle C, to C above middle C

It has what I think, are definate phrases of music, so when you lose it, you just start from the next phrase,

and hopefully the audiance don't notice, well I,ve messed it up and still had compliments.

The main thing is that its a lovely tune, and Basil, my concertina just loves playing it, and sometimes he gets it right, all the way through.

Roger

PS I am trying to learn other tunes

It's a lovely tune Roger,and not a usual beginners piece. I've put a link to the YouTube video on the 'Slow Airs' thread, now to try learning it myself biggrin.gif

Cheers Ann

After 4 years as an Air Force bandsman, I stopped by to see my grandfather, a crotchety German immigrant bricklayer. I hadn't seen him in years. He introduced me to his best friend as his grandson, the musician, with a mock pride. He and his friend exchanged glances and smiles as the word musician was emphasized. It was clear that for these old fellows "musician" was a term of derision meaning good-for-nothing and synonymous with ne're do well.

That was over 40 years ago and he is long gone. If he is looking down on me, I'm pretty sure he is feeling smugly correct in his veiled assessment.

So, yes, I'm a musician and have had countless musician friends over the years. More, I count everyone here as a musician and I think we should all be proud of it as well.

Yeah, well, I'll say I am. Sorta like this guy is (was), I guess...

I mean, I ain't much of a writer. So, I'll say 'musician.'

Seriously, though (ha ha, ha!) -- I am one-half of 'The Hallelujah Bums.' But, we're not very professional. Mostly just bums.

There's more to the story, but it's almost 2:30 AM here and I'm too tired to think it all out right now. Goodnight!

oops.

Let me try to fix that....

Okay, edited the boo boo.

Oh, and one more edit...

I don't mean to imply that Utah P. was not a great songwriter, because he was!

Edited by bellowbelle

Guest HallelujahAl!
I am one-half of 'The Hallelujah Bums.'

Hi Wendy - can I be a Hallelujah Bum too?

:rolleyes:

HallelujahAl

BTW have you got the dots for 'Hallelujah, I'm a Bum' - I'd love to be able to learn it?

AL

I am one-half of 'The Hallelujah Bums.'

Hi Wendy - can I be a Hallelujah Bum too?

:rolleyes:

HallelujahAl

BTW have you got the dots for 'Hallelujah, I'm a Bum' - I'd love to be able to learn it?

Al, if you're gonna be a real bum, you've no use for "the dots".

Try learning this one by listening to Utah.

Once you do, I bet you'll even be glad you did. :)

Bum from german 'bummeln' to stroll or wander, = hobo

we say bum a fag = to cadge a ciggie:)

And "Hobo" comes from "Hoe Boy," a guy who, during the dust bowl era, used to ride the trains carrying a hoe, looking for work in someone's field. Unrelated, btw (but confusingly similar), to oboe, from the French "hautbois," meaning "high wood."

Bum from german 'bummeln' to stroll or wander, = hobo

we say bum a fag = to cadge a ciggie:)

I was wondering about that!

Though, especially after having become related-by-marriage to Fishbones (I'd make it one word, but maybe it's two) -- my aunt married his son -- I was set straight on what exactly is a true hobo. (Hoboes work, bums don't. Hoboes actually have more of a society amongst themselves, too.)

Anyway....

HallelujahAl! -- Sure, that'd be fine! Anytime you're in the neighborhood, consider yourself a Hallelujah Bum and visit our concert hall (the canopy in the back yard, heheh). And I did find the dots online for 'Revive Us Again,' which is the tune which was snatched up for 'Hallelujah I'm A Bum.'

http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Revive_Us_Again/score/

There's also a link for the .nwc (noteworthy) score -- and a midi that will automatically play when you go to the page -- at

http://nethymnal.org/htm/r/e/reviveus.htm

Probably any old church hymnal you pick up will have 'Revive Us Again' in it, and it's a Public Domain song. Though, I don't know if it's mainly an American song. Interesting... shall have to research that a bit.

I am a Dancer no doubt about that and I am now working on Step Dancing if my back will allow it.

Dirge "Your a Musician" !!

I admire you Chris for almost getting there. A close relative and friends that have had a stroke , have made initial progress and for some reason, I have never worked out, lapse back to how they were after the stroke and then sadly give up altogether.

You have stuck with it Chris, fought it and overcome your difficulties. Congratulations and well done.A Musician with distinction.

Al

No shortage of posh people out there who reckon they're 'Musicians' ! I'm merely 'Musical' and that's good enough for me.

On military service I was labelled a 'Bandsman', but then I had no choice in the matter. Not a lot of scope for Dancers Al, nor Concertina players as I remember it, but one of our star turns was a Scottish Piano-Accordian wizard who had the enviable advantage of being allowed to avoid all that military ceremonial nonsense !