Dating Lachenal Concertinas - Serial Numbers/Descriptions

I can't remember if you already know this, but I used to own a Lachenal 'New Model' six-sided maccann duet, serial no. 1865.  It had six fold bellows (I think), raised dark wooden ends, 64 metal buttons (32 on each end, middle C up to G on the right end, left end exactly one octave lower).  I seem to remember being advised it was made about year 1896.

I was also told (by Colin Dipper) that it was somewhat unusual in having a riveted action.

It came with a (presumably original) Lachenal 'case' (more of a flimsy box actually), but it was in terrible condition so I had a new one made by Pete Grassby.

• 2 months later...

In the 1980s the legendary Northumbrian musician Foster Charlton gave me a Lachenal Anglo for use by my family ( I used to 'call' with his barn dance band). Both my son and I have played it ever since and it still plays beautifully. I suspect it comes from the factory when the family was still in charge ( possibly c 1871/2) with Elizabeth moving on in 1873. The Lachenal name is not on it but the number of the end is 90916  ( not 91606 as it looks from upside down - fortunately the 1 is clearly legible as being in the 90916 sequence). Am I correct about the dating and how rare is it to have such an instrument still tight and playing well?

Keith Gregson

Sunderland

Hi Keith,

Unfortunately the number you give would be estimated to be c.1886, which is 10-15 years too late to be a Louis or Elizabeth Lachenal. We'd expect Lachenal & Co without the trademark to be about 50,00 or less and Lachenals made by Louis or Elizabeth to be about 25,000 or less.