Recently Sighted 48 Key English

Hello all,

I have recently seen on e-Bay a new manufactured 48 button English. Has anyone seen one? Played one? Is it anything like as good as the Stagi?

I have recently seen one of the Chinese 30 button English concertina, and the keys are spread out and oversize.

Thanks,

Russell Hedges

Aquarussell

Hi Russell

Your description does not give enough information on which to base an opinion. You will have to be a bit more specific to answer those questions. Can you post a picture, or a link to the ebay item?

I'm pretty sure it's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Concertina-Accordion-E...id=p3286.c0.m14

They have 4 in stock

Thanks

Leo

Yup, those. Until now I hadn't seen a Chinese concertina with 48 keys. Is finding out what they are like worth $225 to me?

Probably not.

I wonder why someone in China decided to make these? I have heard that the Stagi's are made there now, maybe that's what inspired these.

Thanks,

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

I think that 48-button Chinese-made English concertinas have been around for a bit of time: here is a pic of one on a Chinese exporter's site. I have heard that Chinese-built concertinas (with the exception of the ones from Concertina Connection) tend to be based on Stagi designs, but that doesn't mean that they're as well-built as a Stagi.

Re Stagi making concertinas in China, do you have verification of that? It was my unverified impression that they were still made in Italy.

Daniel

I'm pretty sure it's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Concertina-Accordion-E...id=p3286.c0.m14

They have 4 in stock

Thanks

Leo

Yup, those. Until now I hadn't seen a Chinese concertina with 48 keys. Is finding out what they are like worth $225 to me?

Probably not.

I wonder why someone in China decided to make these? I have heard that the Stagi's are made there now, maybe that's what inspired these.

Thanks,

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

Well, it's certainly possible that it was stated here -- but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's true. The folks at Button Box might know, since they carry Stagi concertinas. It's also conceivable that not all Stagi models are made in the same place, but I again haven't seen any reliable info about this.

I dunno where I got the impression that the Stagi were no longer made in Italy. Probably from someone here.

Sorry that all I have is rumor,

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

i had that impression too... i dont know why.

• 1 year later...

do you mean a chinese-made 48 button like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Concertina-Accordion-English-48-key-New-/120757615474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1db6fb72

or do you mean a different make like the scarlattis and excaliburs people seem to be asking about lately? )which i believe are also chinese....)

Edited by ceemonster

They have 4 in stock

The item at Leo's link has been removed. I have no idea why.

As for ceemonster's link, I'd be wary of buying from there, since what you see is not necessarily what you get.

• The first photo does indeed show a black instrument, but the bit of concertina end visible in the second photo looks to me like brown wood.
  • More importantly, the description as a "New" instrument includes, "A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable)." I.e., you should expect that they are simply shipping onward a package, the contents of which they haven't examined for quality, condition, or even identity.

I'd be inclined to ask the Button Box whether they know about these instruments. If they do, but have chosen not to stock them, I would consider that a red flag.

As I said in another thread, I made the mistake of buying one of these low cost boxes. Big, heavy, very stiff bellows, buttons that stick, unresponsive. Decent sound, but NOT enjoyable to play. The cheapest "student" Lachenal with brass reeds will put it to shame. In my opinion better off to save your money until a playable Lachenal or other English made vintage comes available/affordable.