R. I. P. Bob Copper

Just heard the news on BBC Radio 4 that Bob Copper has died. It is good to say that they gave significant prominence to the item on what is one of BBC radio's prime news programmes, including a sizeable chunk of Bob singing Banks of the Sweet Primroses, accompanying himself on the English concertina.

Bob's importance to the English folk music revival cannot be overstated, and he was himself a charming person and a great performer. He will be sadly missed.

Chris

Sad news Chris thank you for passing on this news.

A wonderful old singer of folk songs many of which would have been lost but for his memory,but will live on with his family who are carrying on his tradition in Kent.

Shirley Collins was probably most famous for singing his songs outside of the family.

A sad loss

Al

What can you tell me?

If you possibly can, get a copy of his book "A Song For Every Season". It tells the story of his family and also contains words and music for many Copper Family songs. It's also beautifully written. If you've not read it you have a real treat in store.

Chris

Chris and Roger, Thanks for the tips. I'll surely get ahold of the book and visit the site, for the pleasure of adding to my education.

Speaking of my education, the folks here have been tremendously important in helping me learn more about my chosen obsession and the musical traditions (and possibilities) in which it lives. Thanks, everyone!

Yr. Obt. Svt.,

Robert

The Times newspaper of 1st April carries an obituary, which features a photo of bobcopper with 3 other family members. Bob is playing the concertina in the photo. I have scanned this and can post it if it is allowed. I assume either the Times or the Copper family will claim copyright on the photograph. The obituary can be read by looking at the times website. I have forgotten to note what that is, but it comes up first on a search for the TIMES.

the obituary refers to Bob learning songs from his grandfather, who told of singing them with his grandfathers, and Bob himself has passed them on to his own grandchildren, a proven history of 7 generations.

- John Wild

Among the many accomplishments of Bob's are that he took up the English concertina at age 70. He started during his wife's final illness, and used to practice with the instrument inside the leg of a pair of sweatpants as a mute.

An inspiration on so many fronts.

~ Becky in Tucson

It was The Young Tradition's "wall of sound" that first made me realise there was something unusual and interesting - but it was Bob and cousin Ron singing who totally hooked me. The first non blues/rock LP I ever went out to buy; 'Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy' the first tune I ever learned on the concertina; and 'Come Write Me Down' the first song I ever heard sung 'live'. Thanks Bob!

Wow, Becky, HI! and nice to have you aboard. Are you adding concertina to your many other interests? [Note to all: Becky is an accomplished contra dancer, among many other things.]

Hi, Ken,

I sporadically look in on concertina.net and may be back more frequently now that the forum is more user friendly. I'm an English player (should have been in the Pinewoods Folk Music Week photo last year, but didn't get there on time). I've been playing since taking John Roberts's concertina workshop at Pinewoods in 1998. Don't know that my progress is proportional to the time elapsed, but...

The Copper family was at Folk Music week in 1999, the second time I attended, and I was very lucky to be there that year. I think that the first time that they came to the States was to come to Folk Music Week, a number of years earlier, where they were bowled over to find a group of folks that could join right in on their songs. (Folks, you should check out the programs at www.cdss.org.)

And to my further great good fortune, Bob and the family came west twice in the next couple of years, for the Folk Alliance meeting in Albuquerque, and the Summer Solstice Festival outside L.A..

~ Becky