What About This One

drbones

Without a look at the reeds and action? And an international transaction on top of that? Maybe worth buying at a very low price as a source of parts, or to practice on while learning concertina restoration.

This thing will need some work and no telling what's wrong besides the bellows.

Thoughts?

Without a look at the reeds and action? And an international transaction on top of that? Maybe worth buying at a very low price as a source of parts, or to practice on while learning concertina restoration.

This thing will need some work and no telling what's wrong besides the bellows.

Thoughts?

It looks like an English layout, not "A/F". If it's not a scam, don't forget that there are companies and people who do concertina repair. At the very least Concertina Connection does sell bellows, custom fit. If someone picked it up for really cheap, and got it restored, it's possible it could make a fine instrument!

Still, without knowing the serial #... if I wasn't already up to my neck in 'tina debt... ;)

---

Patrick

Doesn't A/F stand for "as found?" (Equivalent to "as-is" for us Yankees) I don't read it as they are claiming it is not English layout.

Ken

That would make more sense, since I was trying to figure out exactly what an Anglo would be in A/F. ;) Darn all those acronyms! British ones even.. sheesh...

This leads into one of my jokes my wife and I have. At Ikea they have an "As is" area for broken or put together furniture. I always joke about the Middle Eastern fellow "Asis" who runs that section! ;)

---

Patrick

Edited by Dieppe

If someone picked it up for really cheap, and got it restored, it's possible it could make a fine instrument!

I doubt it would ever make a "fine" instrument. A basic student instrument maybe. From its general appearance it might be an early Wheatstone, probably with Lachenal type action, and brass reeds, or it might not be a Wheatstone at all. It seems a poor fit in the box, so it and the box may not belong together. 4 fold bellows and unbushed bone buttons also signify a cheap instrument.

If someone picked it up for really cheap, and got it restored, it's possible it could make a fine instrument!

I doubt it would ever make a "fine" instrument. A basic student instrument maybe. From its general appearance it might be an early Wheatstone, probably with Lachenal type action, and brass reeds, or it might not be a Wheatstone at all. It seems a poor fit in the box, so it and the box may not belong together. 4 fold bellows and unbushed bone buttons also signify a cheap instrument.

"Fine" is relative, I suppose. If someone didn't pay much more than $200 for it, and didn't pay much more to repair it... then what have they?

A full restoration including new bellows for not much more than $200? Doesn't sound likely to me. And Theo already said pretty clearly what they would have.

If someone wants to buy a bottom-of-the-line vintage English concertina and import it from England to the US, I think that they would do better to buy one from Chris Algar or another reliable dealer rather than gamble on this one.

"Fine" is relative, I suppose. If someone didn't pay much more than $200 for it, and didn't pay much more to repair it... then what have they?

This one came out of the Tennant's auction last Saturday, sold for £130 on the hammer, about £155 after the auctioneer took his cut. Brass reeds too.

I thought auctions worked the other way round in that the hammer price was the price and the cut came out of the seller's portion, namely the hammer price?

Ian