Importing From Usa/canada - Question For Uk Members

I live in the US and I've shipped things (I've sold on Ebay) to the UK before via FedEx. Shipping costs are more expensive, but I don't recall there ever having been an issue with the government and taxes... Aren't user to user sales exempt? They are in the states. If not, certain measures could be taken to avoid them, likely without breaking any laws... I'd be happy to take someones new Tedrow or Carroll for a test drive before forwarding it to the UK. :)

I live in the US and I've shipped things (I've sold on Ebay) to the UK before via FedEx. Shipping costs are more expensive, but I don't recall there ever having been an issue with the government and taxes... Aren't user to user sales exempt? They are in the states. If not, certain measures could be taken to avoid them, likely without breaking any laws... I'd be happy to take someones new Tedrow or Carroll for a test drive before forwarding it to the UK. :)

Not an expert, but I believe I'm right in saying that user-to-user sales within the EU don't incur taxes - the tax comes into play when the item is coming from a business liable for the source nations' Value Added Tax.

Importing from outside the EU is completely different - see this document for more information, but the key bit is....

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

* customs duty

* excise duty

* import VAT

and must be paid whether:

* you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift

* the goods are new or used (including antiques)

* the goods are for your private use or for sale.

I have just purchased a Duet Concertina from a con.net member in Canada. I know its probably not the same as buying a new box, but for comparison purposes:

I bought the Concertina for £1650.

It cost £100 to get it over to this country.

It took around 9 days to get here.

Parceforce handled it in the UK and wrote to me saying £125.42 was owed before they would release it.

This broke down as £95.08 VAT, £16.84 Import Duty, £13.50 Parcelforce clearance fee.

David.

Not necessarily, both states I have lived in expect those taxes, but aren't real aggressive in collecting them. well maybe the people's republic to the north now has gotten more aggressive, since they have made continously more difficult to business up there, despite their radio ads they run out of state stating the contrary (adverts for the British speaking) and they have to figure out other ways to support their welfare state. Ohio expects you to add it to your yearly state income tax statement along with out of state purchases.

Alan

If I want to send my concertina overseas for repair, because the only man I trust is in America or wherever, and I expect it returned to me in due course, how do I do it? Would they ask for a bond against its re-export? Surely not.

You could always decide you didn't want it back later...

I don't know of anyone in NZ who I'd let loose on a squeezebox; I'd be forced to send it (or carry it) overseas. There must be a mechanism.

Edited by Dirge

Ok, word of advise, I used to buy clothes from the US (ebay) and my wife used to but hers from Canada.

I no longer do this because I was hit with a 48 pound charge for an item valued at 84 pounds, thats 56%. My wife also was charged a similar amount. There does not seem to be a set charge, it's a lottery, or is that robbery!

Sorry to bring you bad tidings, I thought it best that you know the worst case scenario.

My advise is, try and persuade the company to undervalue the item, or you could be in for a shock!

Of course, this is illegal and shameful, I mean, you would'nt like it if the government allowed private enterprise to rip off your pension, would you.

:rolleyes:

My advise is, try and persuade the company to undervalue the item, or you could be in for a shock!

I don't think legal business would or should do this, but if you buy the concertina, contact me, and we'll work it out.

If I want to send my concertina overseas for repair, because the only man I trust is in America or wherever, and I expect it returned to me in due course, how do I do it? Would they ask for a bond against its re-export? Surely not.

<snip>

There must be a mechanism.

A couple of times I've had instruments sent to me in the UK for repair from customers in the USA. They mark their customs form "musical instrument for repair" when they send it to me. When it goes back I mark the customs form "musical instrument returned after repair" and enclose a copy of the senders customs form. That seems to do the trick. It is a lottery though, some parcels seem not to get charged, others do.

A couple of times I've had instruments sent to me in the UK for repair from customers in the USA. They mark their customs form "musical instrument for repair" when they send it to me. When it goes back I mark the customs form "musical instrument returned after repair" and enclose a copy of the senders customs form. That seems to do the trick. It is a lottery though, some parcels seem not to get charged, others do.

I like the clarity of this method, and while having to deal with customs to straighten out a mistaken charge is mostly not worth the effort, at least you have paperwork to back you up.

Regarding the VAT / duties etc. We'd all like to have these already expensive instruments at a more affordable price, and having 20% tacked on for seemingly nothing on the part of the government adds insult to injury. It is worth remembering ( as many do ) that the governments services be it pensions, health care etc. are not free ( as it may sometimes seem If you go to the hospital and recieve no bill afterward ) but are simply pre paid. So in this case, you buy a concertina and a (pre paid ) doctors visit for the carpal tunnel syndrome or RSI you develop from practicing too much. It all comes out in the wash. I think if we were generally happier about the way our governments spend our money, we would be less reluctant about giving it to them, but that is a different issue.

Since I'll be facing this general situation soon, I am glad to see this discussion. Much as I'd like to help a customer out, It feels like respecting the process is the way to go. Much of this discussion is only because of the VAT / no VAT issue bewteen the EU and USA. Disregarding the already favorable position of the Euro vs the Dollar, If you were purchasing from a dealer in the EU, you'd be paying the VAT regardless.

Dana

Sending by mail would not my first choice. Something like UPS or FEdEx seems better as you can put more insurance on it than with the post office. Sending by one of the aforementioned couriers should be about the same price whether sent from Canada or the USA. The problem with undervaluing the declaration is (among other reasons) that if the instrument is lost or damaged, you would only receive the declared (insured) value. The relative strength of the pound & euro, compared to the dollar still makes the prices of Edgleys, Tedrows, Morses and Herrintons competitive in price with the European makers.

It is worth remembering ( as many do ) that the governments services be it pensions, health care etc. are not free ( as it may sometimes seem If you go to the hospital and recieve no bill afterward ) but are simply pre paid. So in this case, you buy a concertina and a (pre paid ) doctors visit for the carpal tunnel syndrome or RSI you develop from practicing too much. It all comes out in the wash.

You made me laugh out loud with that one, Dana! Thank you. :lol:

Ken

Disregarding the already favorable position of the Euro vs the Dollar, If you were purchasing from a dealer in the EU, you'd be paying the VAT regardless.

Dana

If you purchase something in the US from a European source, aren't you supposed to be reimbursed the VAT? I know this is the case if you physically travel to, say, Germany - if you have items to declare on the German side, you can get the VAT reimbursed; but then you have to declare them on the US side and pay an import tax. No idea if you come out ahead that way or not, but VAT is pretty high as taxes go.

-David

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have any experience of importing used concertinas made in England?

I'd like to know what the import duty & VAT implications are on effectively re-importation of a 'tina.

Having looked at the HMRC regulations:

Antiques over 100 years old have reduced VAT

Collectables (must be of historical significance) have reduced VAT

(both of the above must have documentary evidence)

Items less than 100 years VAT at full rate (17.5%)

The value used for VAT calculation is the amount paid.

If I re-import an old 'tina from US, one that's less than 100 years old (according to the ledgers), I'm wondering what VAT rate may apply - I'll speak to HMRC and check. But wondered if anyone else had any experience.

Steve

Does anyone have any experience of importing used concertinas made in England?

I'd like to know what the import duty & VAT implications are on effectively re-importation of a 'tina.

Having looked at the HMRC regulations:

Antiques over 100 years old have reduced VAT

Collectables (must be of historical significance) have reduced VAT

(both of the above must have documentary evidence)

Items less than 100 years VAT at full rate (17.5%)

The value used for VAT calculation is the amount paid.

If I re-import an old 'tina from US, one that's less than 100 years old (according to the ledgers), I'm wondering what VAT rate may apply - I'll speak to HMRC and check. But wondered if anyone else had any experience.

Steve

Steve

I brought a Lachenal into the UK from the US last year so can quote figures. The instrument cost me £296 - the eBay seller's price. The instrument was over 100 years old so duty was zero and VAT was 5% - £14.8. ParcelForce charged £8 for handling it, presenting it to Customs, paying the duty and VAT on my behalf and then collecting the money from me.

The seller originally put the full paid value of teh box on the package without stating it's antique status (over 100 years) so I was then charged £9.28 Duty (this is a funny percentage though -don't understand) and VAT on price plus duty at 17.5% - £52.39.

A letter to HMRC explaining the dating of the box and quoting the number and the ledgers resulted in a refund of £46.87 - no further verification asked for.

Not sure how it would work for a "collectable with historical significance" - maybe as simple as the vendor stating that on the documentation and a "friendly" customs man agreeing that?

Alex

then add a nominal Royal Mail handling fee (8 GBP?) on top simply for them opening and resealing the package and putting a card through your door telling you to come down to the delivery office to pay the money (which they collect on behalf of HMC) before you can get your hands on your goodies!

I agree, the 8GBP handling charge is anything but nominal. My daughter was sent a quilt from the US with a declared value of 100USD. HMC did not charge import duty, but did add VAT of about 8.50GBP. The post office still levied a handling fee of 8GBP. Anything but nominal I would say. In fact, I object to the post office's handling charge which I think is excessive.

If you're considering a Morse this will still be a lot cheaper than buying off the shelf from The Music Room.

True; but for me, there is more than just price that affects my decision of where to buy. If I am going to spend 1000 - 1500 pounds on a musical instrument, I want to try it first. By going to the Music Room, I was able not only to try several instruments, but I was able to walk away with the one I liked - no waiting for one to be made. Added to that, when something went wrong - some buttons started sticking which turned out to be a problem with the springs - I was able to take it back and the main delay was waiting for new springs to come from the States. Even so I had the instrument back in little over a week. For me this made it worth paying the higher price the Music Room charge relative to the cost of importing directly.

Geoff